Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Rus
Rus began at the beginning.

Device: Kyocera Palm Reader
Mobipocket; Where is it????

Is Mobipocket dead? I can't access their home page or anything relating to "Mobipocket" software.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Mobipocket has been dead for years.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Mobipocket has been dead for years.
Thanks. I didn't know. I'm still using an old Kyocera 7135 (with Palm OS) for my dictionary and e book reader. Plus it still functions as a good phone.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm pretty sure if you Google around a bit you can find sites that still carry versions of it. I thought filehippo still had it, but I checked and it didn't come up. I still have copies of Mobipocket and Mobipocket Creator for Windows, but I never had a Palm, so I didn't download any of those.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm pretty sure if you Google around a bit you can find sites that still carry versions of it. I thought filehippo still had it, but I checked and it didn't come up. I still have copies of Mobipocket and Mobipocket Creator for Windows, but I never had a Palm, so I didn't download any of those.
Thanks for your effort. I did find an old version 4.9 on one of my flash drives that worked. I was even able to download four mobipocket books with the .prc on the end.

I'm waiting for a SD card from Walmart.com so I can download some more Mobipocket books ending in .mobi. They have to load onto a card; not the Palm storage area.

Thanks again.

Rus
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Also, in case you did not know, with Calibre and our good friend Alf, you can purchase any format from any reseller and convert them to mobi. Google the terms as needed.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just FYI, the Mobipocket Developer Center pages are still up: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm. Very handy reference.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon bought Mobipocket back in 2005.

If you have any DRMed Mobipocket ebooks, I suggest that you google for Apprentice Alf, and remove the DRM as soon as possible. Your DRMed Mobipocket ebooks can only be read on your existing devices, and when they break/reset you'll lose access to any DRMed ebooks.

Non-DRMed Mobipocket ebooks can be read on any Kindle

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon bought Mobipocket back in 2005.

If you have any DRMed Mobipocket ebooks, I suggest that you google for Apprentice Alf, and remove the DRM as soon as possible. Your DRMed Mobipocket ebooks can only be read on your existing devices, and when they break/reset you'll lose access to any DRMed ebooks.

Non-DRMed Mobipocket ebooks can be read on any Kindle
I think I'm beginning to understand. If my old Kyocera (Palm powered OS) phone goes belly up and I buy a new reader I can only download my mobipocket books if I remove the DRM. If I'm not understanding please clue me in.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
I think I'm beginning to understand. If my old Kyocera (Palm powered OS) phone goes belly up and I buy a new reader I can only download my mobipocket books if I remove the DRM. If I'm not understanding please clue me in.
While detailed help with DRM removal is not permitted at MobileRead, I think I'm allowed to say that you have that right. The copies of the books you have won't work on any other device unless you remove the DRM.

(I'd advise you to write down your Kyocera's PID somewhere safe - you should find it in the About Box of the Mobipocket software you have installed on it.)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yup ....... Alf, he de maaaannn....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post

Thanks.
And vice versa: if you want to buy non-mobi books today for your device for as long as it works, you'll also have to remove the DRMs of those new purchases if you want to convert them. Again, the forum does not allow detailed explanation on this subject, but considering your circumstances, I would make sure you have the freedom to move from format to format. Actually, you're probably the best case for fair-use I've ever seen
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
And vice versa: if you want to buy non-mobi books today for your device for as long as it works, you'll also have to remove the DRMs of those new purchases if you want to convert them. Again, the forum does not allow detailed explanation on this subject, but considering your circumstances, I would make sure you have the freedom to move from format to format. Actually, you're probably the best case for fair-use I've ever seen
My old Kyocera Palm OS software is only compatible with XP and not Win 7 so, using VMWare Player, I installed XP on my Win 7 laptop.

I can install my ebooks to my Kyocera phone while in XP.

Since I can only download to my phone using XP I copied and pasted the following file into my XP:

Calbre-64bit-1.39.0.msi

I hope this is the correct file to be able to remove “you know what” from all my ebooks within XP.

As ET would say, “Need more input”. LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

There's no need to install calibre under Windows XP. Just install it in your main Windows 7 partition.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
Rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's no need to install calibre under Windows XP. Just install it in your main Windows 7 partition.
What about all the ebooks I have stored in virtual XP that I can currently load on my Palm phone?

Everything I do with my Palm phone is through my virtual XP OS.