Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
rhino79
rhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nexus 7
Generic Penguin covers remain after conversion

I am trying to solve the following problem:
I have lots of Penguin epubs that have a generic cover (the Penguin logo). I'd like to replace these with actual covers. However, after conversion, the epub has "titlepage.xhtml" inserted by Calibre with the new cover AND cover.html, which is the generic cover. For some reason, Calibre doesn't recognize the generic cover as a "cover" and so it stays.

I have tried clicking the "Delete first image in book" option, but this doesn't detect the generic image either. This may be because the generic cover page of Penguin ebooks has some weird indecipherable code instead of an identifiable svg or jpg/gif/png.

I also tried the Modify Epub plugin, but it doesn't detect the generic cover either.

Any ideas? Thanks.
rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
rhino, there may be a setting somewhere that addresses it, but I am not aware of it.

So here is what I do when I encounter the issue: I open the epub using either Calibre's tweak epub feature or sigil. I then delete the "cover.html" text file. Then close the book back up and re-convert it in Calibre. The generic cover image should be automatically deleted from the book as it is no longer associated with a text file.

Two things to note: (1) The duplicate cover file is not always called "cover.html" so in those cases you have to look among the text files for the offending file. Often it is a file with "cvi" in its name. (2) Sometimes a "Cover" entry in the metadata TOC is still tied to the old/generic cover. If so, Calibre will delete the "Cover" entry in the TOC upon re-conversion because it is no longer associated with an existing file. If it does that -- and you want a "Cover" entry in your TOC -- then simply use Calibre's TOC editor to add a correct one in. It's really easy to use if you haven't yet tried it.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert