Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Page breaks and 5-way jumps in one file

Dear Friends,

I'm creating a version of the Dhammapada that will have the verses grouped by days of the year. I would like each day to be it's own page on the screen with the ability to jump from day to day with the 5 way navigator, or whatever the equivalent action is on other devices. BUT, I don't want to have 365 different files in my document. Also, each page will not have a title.

Is there any way to do this? I will be converting to .mobi using Calibre so the book is available in both formats.

Also, what is the code that actually sets that ability to "jump" using the 5-way. It seems to be more that just <h1> tags.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed many times or is obvious. Thanks for the great software!
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
it has been discussed in other threads & you will gain a lot from a forum search to avaoid repetition.,

what is the big deal with not having 365 files. that's under the bonnet & invisible to end user?

anyway, you should be able to achieve it within one file by ensuring each new day begins with a <h2> tagged line.

sigil will build a TOC from that, & once converted to MObi, Kindle will give you 5 way navigation

if you put only blanks in the <h2> tags then you avoid visible titles but should still have the ability to JUMP
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it has been discussed in other threads & you will gain a lot from a forum search to avaoid repetition.,

what is the big deal with not having 365 files. that's under the bonnet & invisible to end user?

anyway, you should be able to achieve it within one file by ensuring each new day begins with a <h2> tagged line.

sigil will build a TOC from that, & once converted to MObi, Kindle will give you 5 way navigation

if you put only blanks in the <h2> tags then you avoid visible titles but should still have the ability to JUMP
and if you add class to the H2 you can avoid using up space
Code:
<h2 class="invisi"> </h2>
CSS code
Code:
h2.invisi {line-height: 1pt; margin: 0}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CSS code
Code:
h2.invisi {line-height: 1pt; margin: 0}
or:

Code:
h2.invisi { display: none; }
if prevents navigation, then:

Code:
h2.invisi { height: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0; }
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
or:

Code:
h2.invisi { display: none; }
if prevents navigation, then:

Code:
h2.invisi { height: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0; }
Jellby:

Neither of those will work when, as the OP indicated, the epub is run through KindleGen/MobiGen or MBPCreator. The former doesn't work at all (the text will show up as though the css doesn't exist) and the latter will leave a small topline.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jellby:

Neither of those will work when, as the OP indicated, the epub is run through KindleGen/MobiGen or MBPCreator. The former doesn't work at all (the text will show up as though the css doesn't exist) and the latter will leave a small topline.

HTH,
Hitch
Cybmole and Theducks were probably thinking of Calibre's handling of a Sigil generated TOC when converting to Mobi, which will support the 5 way controller after conversion. Since the OP didn't specify that the mobi is being published on Amazon and indicated he plans to use Calibre that will probably be fine.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Cybmole and Theducks were probably thinking of Calibre's handling of a Sigil generated TOC when converting to Mobi, which will support the 5 way controller after conversion. Since the OP didn't specify that the mobi is being published on Amazon and indicated he plans to use Calibre that will probably be fine.
Idolse:

the OP clearly indicated that he intends to use the book with "the 5-way navigator" and "the equivalent...on other devices," so unless the OP has misspoken, he clearly intends to use it on devices commercially, and not merely on Calibre. That presents two issues; first, the mobi conversion by Calibre does not produce a commercial product (for any "Kindle For..." reading application), and secondly, if the OP converts the ePUB with KindleGen or MobiGen or Previewer, in order to create a commercially-viable product, neither of the two options presented by jellby will work in Mobi to "hide" text or titles.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Dear Friends,

Thanks for the ideas. Lots of experience in this group.

I tried searching, but couldn't find threads that explain it. If someone can point me to one easily, I would appreciate it.

I guess it was not so much *having* 365 files in the book, so much as having to *rename* 365 files. But I can get over that. I know I don't have to rename, but that makes it easier in the creation process.

@cybemole: When you say, "anyway, you should be able to achieve it within one file by ensuring each new day begins with a <h2> tagged line." do you mean that it will start a new page on the reading device as well? Perhaps you were just talking about the 5-way jumping.

In my original post, I just intended to say that I wanted it to be readable on different devices using some sort of chapter to chapter jumping. I had no idea that there was a difference between commercial and non. It is non-commercial, but I was hoping people could view it on "Kindle for..." devices. I think I understand now that if it is not a real from-Amazon Kindle book, there is always better reading software for the device any way, so not to worry too much about that. The .mobi's seem to work well on the Kindle itself. As I said, I just plan on using Calibre for the conversion.

So is my understanding correct that it is the <h1> tags, etc that are what the five way controller uses to navigate the book?

Thanks everyone!
BKh
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
different devices have different chapter select methods. my sony reader has no chapter jump button to to go to next chapter I have to press options, choose TOC, choose page or chapter... so for that reader it would be essential to use meaningful chapter titles. Kindle is the ONLY device with a chapter jump button AFAIK.

the kindle will start a new page at each TOC entry I think,

it will jump with the 5 way but it will not necessarily page break if you are reading sequentially. I figured out the mechanism sufficiently to meet my needs both other have documented it better in other thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=toc+guide
I just know that if I use h2 tags for chapter titles, let sigil generate the TOC then convert to mobi in calibre then everything works fine on Kindle.

you can set page break conditions in calibre preferences. also each individual file in sigil will open on a new page in (all ?) readers.

make a simple test book file with header tags & sample body text in sigil - just 3 or 4 small chapters, then
convert it & test it in kindle emulators and in calibre viewer

<h2> day 1 </h2>
<p> some text </p>
<h2> day 2</h2>
<p> more sample text.. etc.

save that in sigil, sinlge file. sigil will make a toc.ncx file from the h2 tags. calibre can add page breaks when it converts but you need to learn how to set up the structure detection preferences. there are some good how-to threads for TOC.

do you want each day to be a new page ?

do you want it to also work on epub based ereader devices - Sony, Kobo, Nook ...

Kindle is very non-standard - it does things in its own mobi + 5 way button manner, pretty much all other readers use epub and each has its own set of buttons or touch screen swipes.

there will be a free KINDLE for ... app for each major tablet as well as for windows & ac PCs. but chapter navigation is different in the apps. in Kindle for PC you click on go-to icon, choose cover, beginning, location, or TOC... then choose a TOC entry so one again your readers are stuck if you don;t name your chapters. there is no jump button.

I recommend you install kindle for PC then "buy" some free books from Amazon to see how it works.
<h2> day 2 etc.
etc

Last edited by cybmole; 03-31-2011 at 03:21 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5-way, page breaks