Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
V2 Beta Firmware Battery Test

I have been noticing faster battery consumption with the Beta firmware, both with device on and standby. I know it is not possible to report accurate number with device on due to different user pattern, so please report the battery consumption rate when it is in standby mode.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
CoolDragon
Addict

OK, standby battery consumption is actually the same as before, around 6% per 24 hours. So it might be related to the bug when viewing scanned PDF see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=55. Also I am doing some zooming and panning and scribbling, which should consume more power.
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
ahhahh
ahhahh began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-800S, Sony PRS-505
I was just going to tell you mine seems to be as before: 2% decrease after 8 hours in standby.
ahhahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Egnos
Egnos began at the beginning.

Device: IREX D800S
Very fast battery drain (25%) in 8 hour in standby. (The screen stays on, even not using the device).
I did a reset and see if that helps.
Egnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
After the first night it seemed the battery drain was faster, but the second night it seems back to normal.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnos View Post
Very fast battery drain (25%) in 8 hour in standby. (The screen stays on, even not using the device).
I did a reset and see if that helps.
The screen should go "white" (into standby mode) after 30 minutes of no activity. There's definitely something wrong in this case. What type of file are you reading? In V1, PDB file can sometimes cause this problem, which is supposed to be fixed in V2.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
CoolDragon
Addict

People on other forums have also reported fast battery consumption related to PDF zoom and panning. I am wondering if IREX has done any battery test related to those two features?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life, but I'll keep a closer eye on it. As others mentioned, it would be useful to know if this behavior can be tracked down to a particular document type or feature.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

seems my device doesn't always go into sleep mode automatically. Just had left it for about 1 hour, had another look at it and the page was not blank.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
seems my device doesn't always go into sleep mode automatically. Just had left it for about 1 hour, had another look at it and the page was not blank.
What type of file are you reading? And have you opened other types of file since last time reboot?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
What type of file are you reading? And have you opened other types of file since last time reboot?
You beat me to it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

I was reading a PDF file, but a regular book, less than 2 MB. I have no PDB, only epub, PDF, and newspaperdirect files. The latter always close automatically when going to another file. Yesterday evening I read about 40 pages of newspaper direct papers and the battery level went down 1/4 alone from that. Sure, there is a lot of zooming in and out and jumping around, but that definitely seems excessive.

The device now seems not to shut down by itself at all, the newspaper I read from this morning is still on the screen. I will try to reboot and see what happens.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard

Latest update -- after reboot it went into sleep mode from the home screen after approximately 30 minutes.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
Egnos
Egnos began at the beginning.

Device: IREX D800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
The screen should go "white" (into standby mode) after 30 minutes of no activity. There's definitely something wrong in this case. What type of file are you reading? In V1, PDB file can sometimes cause this problem, which is supposed to be fixed in V2.
The problem with the battery drain occurred after playing with the new features of pdf files.
After a reset, the device worked normally, went into sleep mode and no excessive battery drain reading epub files. I do not have PDB files on my device.
I see if i can reproduce the behaviour and find out what causes the problems. It has definitely something to do with pdf files
Egnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

I left mine on last night after reading a PDF, and it went into sleep mode automatically. I didn't do any zooming though.

I'll try it a couple more times, maybe with different documents, using different features, etc.