Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: iPad mini retina or regular iPad?
Definitely the iPad Mini retina 34 56.67%
Definitely the regular iPad 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
ipad Mini (retina) or regular iPad?

Thinking about getting my first iPad this new gen (despite my Apple hatred). I'm wondering whether to go the iPad mini or regular iPad route. The mini, assuming it is retina, appeals to me because the price as it is now is much cheaper than the regular iPad which means that I could get a 32GB for less than the price of a regular 16GB. Of course the portability and light weight of the mini also appeals to me. The regular iPad on the other hand would have lots of screen real estate which is always a great thing, especially for playing boardgames and whatnot. Will there be a difference in horsepower between the two? Will the regular iPad have any other advantages over the mini other than a larger screen? If you were going to get a new iPad which one would you go for and why?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I would get another Mini. I like that I can have it in a cover, my stylus, and a keyboard all in my coat pocket. So portable!

There are different chips in each, but honestly, I'm running a DAW called Cubasis, and I have no problem with it and it's one of those apps that would really benefit from the extra power.

Some apps will give you extra stuff to use with the bigger iPads, like more layers, bigger image sizes (but you can't complain when it's like, the Mini can export a 50x50 inch image, and the iPad 5 could do a 80x80 inch image for example), but it's really like exotic benefits that you probably won't even need, hahaha.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I voted for "regular" but it counted as "mini".

If you have no iPad yet, I recommend the full-sized iPad 5 after tomorrow. If you're an extremely mobile person, the mini Retina might be a better option. But only if it's Retina!

It's worth it to possess both.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Depends on how you are going to use it. If you want to take it with you everywhere, the mini is probably a better choice. However, the regular Ipad is more robust if you need it for stuff other than pdf reading.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I thought seriously about the iPad Mini, but I can't see playing piano on it. The full-size iPad really isn't large enough for that; I can't imaging trying to tickle the touchscreen of a Mini.

On the other hand, the Mini would be great for taking on grocery shopping trips to scan barcodes and compare prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overview_garageband_20110302.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	113846  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I was originally thinking of a mini in order to take it places, then I stopped and thought about where I actually wanted to take it. I carry my iphone everywhere and my ereader most places. I do want to use a tablet for watching exercise videos while working out, so the bigger screen of the iPad will be the better choice for me.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I was originally thinking of a mini in order to take it places, then I stopped and thought about where I actually wanted to take it. I carry my iphone everywhere and my ereader most places. I do want to use a tablet for watching exercise videos while working out, so the bigger screen of the iPad will be the better choice for me.
and it is easier to hit with your nose while doing pushups using an app that counts repetitions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It depends on your use. I love using the full size iPad around the house. The large screen works especially well for video, photos, browsing, and games. I carry a 6" e-reader with me every day so I'd probably prefer the Mini if I was dragging it around with me everywhere.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Even though they added Retina to the Mini, I'm more interested in the iPad Air. I think the extra $100 over the Mini is well worth it since the Air now is only 1 pound and smaller than previous models.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, the good news is that the iPad Air is only one pound and has the new A7 processor, and the Mini has a Retina display. The bad news is no fingerprint log-on and no type keyboard cover.

Like one person said, "You mean we have to log on by typing our password in like ANIMALS?"
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The iPad 4 seems to have disappeared from the apple.ca store. Are they going to sell the 4 at a discount? Will it appear in the refurbished store?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

The price increase on the iPad mini is horrible. How do they expect to compete with Nexus 7 if it's $229 versus $399?

I predict Nexus 7 will steamroll over the new iPad mini in terms of market share.

Continuing to sell the original iPad 2 at $399 is pretty weird, too.

Last edited by Faterson; 10-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Yes, the iPad Air prices look okay, but I don't know what they were thinking with the Mini. And what's up with keeping the non-Retina iPad 2 around for $100 less than the newest version while dumping the iPads 3 & 4? Oh, yeah, give me two of them. NOT! Hey, here's an advertising logo they can use for the iPad 2: "It's 100 dollars cheaper than the iPad Air, and it comes fully loaded with retro-technology! For those users who aren't in that much of a hurry to get things done, its slower dual core A-5 processor is a perfect fit."

I wanted the fingerprint sign-on, and I wanted the gold option. But what I really want now is November 1st so I can order a new iPad Air. Maybe a 64 GB, but probably a 128 GB wi-fi only.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Even though they added Retina to the Mini, I'm more interested in the iPad Air. I think the extra $100 over the Mini is well worth it since the Air now is only 1 pound and smaller than previous models.
This is my feeling too. I am very, very tempted by the iPad Air!!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

The dramatic decrease in weight and thickness really make iPad Air a unique proposition. The $499 basic price is fine, too. iPad Air and iPad mini Retina are now very close in terms of both weight and price. Negligibly close, one might say -- unless you're a heavy mobile user.

Whereas the original poll question could have been debatable before today's Apple announcement, now that the hair-raising price increase to $399 for the mini is here, it's a no-brainer... iPad Air all the way!