Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
moonlitgamble
moonlitgamble just might amount to something someday

Device: Adobe
Diesel Ebooks

I bought an ebook from diesel ebooks. I downloaded it from "my bookshelf". Each time I did so it would simply open the ebook for me. It never gave a save dialog. Now, I haven't saved it and I click to download it. I get the "You have reached the maximum number of downloads" error. Diesel ebooks responded to neither of the 2 tickets I put in 1 full week ago. They also do NOT have a phone number. I even messaged them on this forum almost a week ago, hey it was worth a try, and no response. I lose, got screwed, and am on my way to finding a form to recommending an investigation by the better business bureau.

Anyone have any idea how to fish the book out of my temporary internet files or something?

My advise: Don't buy until you check the website for a phone number. Therefore, don't buy from diesel ebooks.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not their fault you have your settings wrong in your browser.
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
moonlitgamble
moonlitgamble just might amount to something someday

Don't be a fool. I eventually figured out what the problem was. After searching my hard drive for keywords and such... It autosaves itself in a new folder in My Documents. It neither gives a dialog box, nor explains the download cap beforehand. It just saves it in this random spot for no apparent reason and I'm supposed to magically know about it. They haven't responded to any of my questions, therefore they have terrible customer service. I still stand by not buying from any compny that does not have a phone number ever again.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It saves the books to My Documents\My Library

And you can break the DRM with CLIT and convert to HTML if you want. It've very easy to convert to some other format that way.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I agree with you MLG. That's really bad customer service!
Advert
Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
POGO
POGO began at the beginning.

Device: NOKIA N73
scewed by diesel ebooks

I'm not getting anywhere with ebooks either, and they sure as hell aren't very helpful. I won't be going to them again either.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by POGO View Post
I'm not getting anywhere with ebooks either, and they sure as hell aren't very helpful. I won't be going to them again either.
What seems to be your problem with ebooks.com? Maybe one of us here can help.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast
Diesel eBooks began at the beginning.

Moonlitgamble,

Really sorry, this sounds like a settings issue within your Adobe configuration. What is your ticket number? I will find out why you haven't received a response.

We can reset the downloads, but this is only a short term solution.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
fsnhk
fsnhk began at the beginning.

Thumbs down Diesel-eBooks = No Response - No Support - Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitgamble View Post
I bought an ebook from diesel ebooks. I downloaded it from "my bookshelf". Each time I did so it would simply open the ebook for me. It never gave a save dialog. Now, I haven't saved it and I click to download it. I get the "You have reached the maximum number of downloads" error. Diesel ebooks responded to neither of the 2 tickets I put in 1 full week ago. They also do NOT have a phone number. I even messaged them on this forum almost a week ago, hey it was worth a try, and no response. I lose, got screwed, and am on my way to finding a form to recommending an investigation by the better business bureau.

Anyone have any idea how to fish the book out of my temporary internet files or something?

My advise: Don't buy until you check the website for a phone number. Therefore, don't buy from diesel ebooks.
I agree with you. So far, diesel-ebooks is very unsatisfying . I just decided to buy from now on ebooks instead of paper and somehow I backed the wrong horse . Since the beginning of the month I am sending tickets and emails ... but without any reaction.

Hopefully, someone from diesel-ebooks will read this message and will take a look at the unviewed tickets! I'll definitely take appropriate actions if nothing is happening within the next days.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast

Response from Diesel eBooks

Service is not a part of our business, it is our business and it’s been a key ingredient to our dramatic growth.

While 90% of all download issues are caused by settings on the customers computer, we feel it is our responsiblity to assist in troubleshooting these settings. We’re the only eBook provider with an automated troubleshooter and the only ebook store with a free real-time ebook download simulator for each of our formats. That being said, while the thousands of books each week download without a hitch, we sometimes make mistakes and we try to respond to customers in hours, definitely not days. Email SPAM settings can sometimes give the appearance we are ignoring customers and that is a frustration on both ends. When I’ve been contacted via this form by email or a posting, I’ve ensured a quick resolution.

Due to the global nature of this business and the price points involved, tele-service has not proved to be a viable offering for any of the major players. The Holy Grail would be some type of application that can pull all of the customer’s settings that could adversely effect a download (eg: Reader software version, firewall settings, internet connection, OS environment, Browser settings, etc....) and immediately feedback the problem and solution, but we are not there yet....yet.

To truly understand why we have so many repeat customers; though, you need to try us. Stop by in the next two weeks (before 9/7/07) and we’ll give you a 20% discount off your purchase. This is a serious discount we’re a “low price” provider up front. Just key this code in at checkout:

diesellovesme

L. Scott Redford
President
Diesel eBooks
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd just like to give a vote of confidence for Scott and Diesel eBooks. No company is perfect, and no company ever goes without complaints.

I don't have complete information, but from what I can see through MobileRead and behind the scenes here at MobileRead, I am convinced that they are serious about resolving issues and do make an effort to do so. How many sellers will make a point of seeking out customers with issues on forums and make an effort to chase down the problem, even outside of normal channels or if communication breaks down? Obviously, things will go wrong in any high volume venture, but it's also good to know that the people behind the web pages are sincere and real.

As with all companies, there will be debate about the good and the bad, but I want to thank Diesel eBooks for their efforts on behalf of their customers, and wish them well.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
fsnhk
fsnhk began at the beginning.

Thumbs down still no reaction from www.diesel-ebooks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel eBooks View Post
Service is not a part of our business, it is our business and it’s been a key ingredient to our dramatic growth.

While 90% of all download issues are caused by settings on the customers computer, we feel it is our responsiblity to assist in troubleshooting these settings. We’re the only eBook provider with an automated troubleshooter and the only ebook store with a free real-time ebook download simulator for each of our formats. That being said, while the thousands of books each week download without a hitch, we sometimes make mistakes and we try to respond to customers in hours, definitely not days. Email SPAM settings can sometimes give the appearance we are ignoring customers and that is a frustration on both ends. When I’ve been contacted via this form by email or a posting, I’ve ensured a quick resolution.

Due to the global nature of this business and the price points involved, tele-service has not proved to be a viable offering for any of the major players. The Holy Grail would be some type of application that can pull all of the customer’s settings that could adversely effect a download (eg: Reader software version, firewall settings, internet connection, OS environment, Browser settings, etc....) and immediately feedback the problem and solution, but we are not there yet....yet.

To truly understand why we have so many repeat customers; though, you need to try us. Stop by in the next two weeks (before 9/7/07) and we’ll give you a 20% discount off your purchase. This is a serious discount we’re a “low price” provider up front. Just key this code in at checkout:

diesellovesme

L. Scott Redford
President
Diesel eBooks
Nice words. My ticket from 22.8. is still open (Status: "Not Viewed"), an old one has been - I guess - deleted, and my emails to info@, support@ and your email adress are unanswered.

I ordered ebooks, and during the download process (with Acrobate Reader) I received a timeout (obviously the target server was overwhelmed with work). After some more download-attempts (with timeouts), I have received the diesel-ebook message "We are sorry. This ebook has been downloaded the maximum permitted number of times. Please see our support page for more information". I just tried it again today and I still receive this message.

This is an open ticket/issue since 5th of August... more than three weeks ago!

Still waiting for an answer/reaction of diesel-ebooks....

Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast

fsnhk,

Your original communication was submitted to the marketing department as opposed to customer service. This greatly contributed to the breakdown in response. Regardless, we probably need to make this more clear on our ticket submition page. Our apologies.

Your concern that you had a friend download the book successfully upon purchase (due to Adobe 8 issues you were having), but that they were unable to email the document to you for reading is understandable as it is a built in security function.

Unlike a generic pdf file, these adobe files are secure eBooks and have extra security requirements. This security prevents sending the ebook inside an email message. The purpose of this security is to ensure people can't give away free copies of their eBooks through email, or offer them for free on a website. While this is a hassle, publishers and authors sleep better knowing their work can't be stolen.

We are resetting your ebook. You'll either need to download Adobe's Digital Editions software which is used for ebook reading and accompanies Adobe 8 or uninstall Adobe 8 and revert to Adobe 7.

We apologize again for the inconvenience this has caused.

L. Scott Redford
President
Diesel eBooks
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
How come the title of this thread has been edited?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
How come the title of this thread has been edited?
Because it's not fair to them to leave the old title attached when there are only 3 upset customers. Now that they know this thread is here, they seem to respond quickly to negative posts.
Closed Thread