Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Replacement Stylus

Where can one find a replacement stylus for the PRS950 that will fit inside the PRS950?

I accidentally dropped mine and it bent.

I gather from reading earlier posts, such stylus by Sony sell from Sony for $25 each. If this is true, I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous, goes to show yet another example of how much Sony cares about their customers.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
A quick makeshift replacement is one of those little plastic tubes you find inside spray bottles. I have one tucked away for my PRS-650, just in case. It fits inside the stylus "compartment" (though it would fall out if I tipped it, so would need to find some way of preventing that), but in testing, it works well, and it certainly won't break. If I wanted some stiffening, I could insert a thick wire (I have a coil of a perfect fit in my tool cabinet), but I don't use the stylus for drawing, so I certainly couldn't speak to how it would work for that.

I've seen the ridiculously expensive replacements and would simply refuse to pay that much. In other threads, people have mentioned other things that work also, such as a cotton-tipped swab, etc.

UPDATE: See this thread for info on ordering an inexpensive replacement from a fellow MR member. It's a slightly bendable plastic replica of the original that fits perfectly into the stylus slot. I ordered one and am very pleased with it. Read further posts below for verification that it fits the 350, 650, and 950.

Last edited by Under the Covers; 11-22-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: update
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Cheap discount/dollar stores/Poundland/ - almost all sell "pattern" DS type copies which are ridiculously cheap - haven't yet found one that'll fit in the 650 tho, but any port in a storm................:
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Breaking news...............

Quite how I found this out is strange, but suffice to say it involved me looking at books in a charity shop, tripping over, and knocking over a basket bearing the sign "All 10p each"..............

Amongst the old knives, etc.. were a bundle of various old knitting needles......

Among them a pair of size 11 needles, with a squarish head to one end, a point to t'other.

Yup - the perfect size for a Sony stylus ! (Emergency use - need trimming length.)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

any news?

Is the PRS 900 stylus the same as the PRS 950?

Last edited by jessie102; 06-09-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No, the 900 and 950 are not the same because the case contour is different. However, if you have a spare 900 one, then you could use it with the 950 and just store it externally.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I hardly ever use my stylus... I find that a well manicured finger nail of medium length works just fine.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
jessie102
Addict

just a bump for any updates
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
See this thread for ordering info, and more info is in this thread. It's been discussed but it's possibly in a thread the mods nuked or hid, that the stylus is the same for all 3 readers, including the 950.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
See this thread for ordering info, and more info is in this thread. It's been discussed but it's possibly in a thread the mods nuked or hid, that the stylus is the same for all 3 readers, including the 950.
WOW Thank you!!!! You are a savior.

All this time, I was under the impression that the 650 stylus was different than the 950 one.

can someone who bought the 650 stylus replacement confirm it works for the 950?

thx!!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, it works the same for 350/650/950. People have reported that the fit is close enough that it works fine with the 950. I know that my 350 stylus fits ok in my 950.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
jessie102
Addict

thanks for the quick response!! Ordering NOW!! Nice to know we can always rely on this great community for great answers!

@Bookworm_Girl: speaking of which, I notice you have a T1, what made you which from a PRS 950 to a T1?

I just bought one to be sent directly as a birthday gift, I hope it'll be good!

Last edited by jessie102; 11-21-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
can someone who bought the 650 stylus replacement confirm it works for the 950?
Just to confirm what bookwormgirl already said, I bought a stylus from Chris for my 950, and it works fine.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote