Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Endo Monkey
Endo Monkey began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Nook Touch DOES have web browser!!!

So, I spent many of hours on this site before finally making a decision to buy the NOOK Touch. Bringing it home, my only complaints was no Sudoku, and no web browser.

Well, a quick Google search revealed that it does indeed have a web browser!!! Pull up the search menu and type in any URL! It then gives you a (surprisingly) nice browser w/ bookmarking, downloading (I even was able to download an EPUB and start reading it w/o plugging it up!!), and the like!

So, had I known this before, I would have gone crazy getting to B&N to get it, instead, I was a little reserved. Now, of course, I'm ecstatic!!!!

Just thought I'd post this to others who are looking to buy it or those who have bought it and didn't know this!

(BTW, the NOOK Touch CAN highlight and note in sideloaded EPUBS. Not many in the forums noted that, either...)
Endo Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Yep! Also you can refresh page that may have some ghosting by double pushing the nook button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo Monkey View Post
So, I spent many of hours on this site before finally making a decision to buy the NOOK Touch. Bringing it home, my only complaints was no Sudoku, and no web browser.

Well, a quick Google search revealed that it does indeed have a web browser!!! Pull up the search menu and type in any URL! It then gives you a (surprisingly) nice browser w/ bookmarking, downloading (I even was able to download an EPUB and start reading it w/o plugging it up!!), and the like!

So, had I known this before, I would have gone crazy getting to B&N to get it, instead, I was a little reserved. Now, of course, I'm ecstatic!!!!

Just thought I'd post this to others who are looking to buy it or those who have bought it and didn't know this!

(BTW, the NOOK Touch CAN highlight and note in sideloaded EPUBS. Not many in the forums noted that, either...)
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

I think if you spend just a little time with it you will find it almost completely unusable in its current form. I do hope they fix it however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Yep! Also you can refresh page that may have some ghosting by double pushing the nook button.
nice tip!

+karma for you!

which brings up the resource question:

quick list of 'nook browser-friendly' sites?

http://www.mergethis.com/smallsites/
http://www.eboogie.com/

more?

Last edited by linux_author; 07-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I read you can run Android programs on the Nook, so the Opera browser will work.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

It then gives you a (surprisingly) nice browser w/ bookmarking, downloading (I even was able to download an EPUB and start reading it w/o plugging it up!!), and the like!

Has anyone been able to do this with a site other than B&N?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think he must be referring to a site with non-DRM, free epubs, like Gutenberg. I haven't tried it with the Touch. It works with the Color Nook, of course, so if you can find a site like that with the Touch's browser, it might just work.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I think he must be referring to a site with non-DRM, free epubs, like Gutenberg. I haven't tried it with the Touch. It works with the Color Nook, of course, so if you can find a site like that with the Touch's browser, it might just work.
I've seen posts of people trying to download (from sites like Gutenberg, with an unrooted Touch), but I haven't heard of anyone being successful.

Just curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
you should add this little tid bit to the tips and tricks section.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
You can download to the STR using the (broken) browser. The file appears to download and the messages seem to confirm it.

However, the downloaded file then vanishes into some hidden nook (sic) or cranny of the filesystem, and no-one has been able to find downloaded files yet, AFAIK.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
However, the downloaded file then vanishes into some hidden nook (sic) or cranny ...
Love the pun!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
superanima
W2E & ePub freak
superanima began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 + boox60
I'm considering upgrading from my boox to the nook touch. The boox is a great product, but I'm attracted to the superior refresh time of the nook touch. The boox is slow, using the dict is a bit of a pita and the stylus response is weird.

Heard that the nook touch runs android, but is there an active community of people trying to jailbreak it? I would love to install apps (and a better web browser) on it, I think it would make it a great device for (almost, obviously) all purposes.
superanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
[QUOTE=superanima;1648585
Heard that the nook touch runs android, but is there an active community of people trying to jailbreak it? I would love to install apps (and a better web browser) on it, I think it would make it a great device for (almost, obviously) all purposes.[/QUOTE]

you mean these folks?

here's a screenshot from one fellow:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	str.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	73975  

Last edited by linux_author; 07-08-2011 at 06:59 AM.
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Endo Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I was. I didn't use Gutenburg, I was downloading epubs for studying (through the organization I'm a part of; to save paper, they offer non-DRMed EPUBs)

And I know the Browser is extremely half baked, and that's probably why they hid it. Mayba a future update will remedy that, but we know it's capable of handling one.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Endo Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
you mean these folks?

here's a screenshot from one fellow:
Hey guys. I originally started this post about the secret web browser, but since then, I've rooted my nook and installed android 2.2 on there! I'm gonna see if I can get a pic up, but it may not work...

Tags
browser, highlighting, nook 2, touch, web