Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Authors with initials

I tried to find a topic for this but was unsuccessful.

The problem is that I have a bunch of authors with initials and some of them are added in two or even four ways:
A.A. Surname
A. A. Surname
AA Surname
A A Surname

How to find those so I can edit manually, or automatically rename them to one format? As now I end up with 4 authors instead of 1
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
put surname in the search bar
sort by author
Select all the ones you want to make identical
click on edit metatdata
enter the name in the author field as you would like it to appear (A. A. Surname is best practice I beleive)
check the automatically set author sort box
click ok
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

That works if I know which authors are duplicate but I do not. I wonder if the program could search for authors who have the same surname but different initials or name and you could see if it is the same author or not. Then just unify them or something.
I hate authors with initials, can't they just write their name
Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
That works if I know which authors are duplicate but I do not. I wonder if the program could search for authors who have the same surname but different initials or name and you could see if it is the same author or not. Then just unify them or something.
Open up the Authors in the Tag Browser .
In many cases, it will be Obvious

BTW you can right-click on the Variant and 'Rename' from there
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Use the Find Duplicates plugin. Do a search for "Ignore Title, Fuzzy Author".
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict

Yes that is the easiest way at the moment, but it isn't always obvious. Especially if authors are collapsed by letters and all. For one author I am completely confused, in library there are two names for him but in tag browser under authors I see only one.
And checking all the authors letter one by one doesn't look very efficient.
I am a fanatic of efficiency

Thanks a lot. Haven't noticed this plug in

My question is answered
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes that is the easiest way at the moment, but it isn't always obvious. Especially if authors are collapsed by letters and all. For one author I am completely confused, in library there are two names for him but in tag browser under authors I see only one.
And checking all the authors letter one by one doesn't look very efficient.
I am a fanatic of efficiency

Thanks a lot. Haven't noticed this plug in

My question is answered
Check Author SORTS, you have a red one
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote