Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
kindletommy
kindletommy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Remove from Archive (book already "deleted" in Amazon account)

Hi everyone,

I am one of the new guys on the block, just received my first ereader (Amazon Kindle 3) a few days ago. I love it, finally I can read when travelling without carrying loads of books.

I have one little question: I purchased a newspaper issue just to try that out, and didn't like it too much. So I then went into the Amazon account, and "deleted" that issue on my account so it wouldn't show up in the list of ebooks anymore. Unfortunately while this works on the account, the issue is still shown on my Kindle under "Archived Items". Any attempt to delete it from there has been unsuccessful. There is no option to delete it from there, and when I try to open it, I get an error message that the file is not registered (which of course makes sense, as I deleted the newspaper from my account voluntarily). Restarting didn't work either.

Do you know how I can get rid of this? Not sure a Factory Reset would work - should I try that maybe? Any ideas are highly welcome!

Thanks
Tommy from Germany
kindletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You've probably already tried this but have you actually connected to wifi or 3G to see if that then updates things and removes the file from your archive?

Doing a factory reset will I believe delete all your content so I wouldn't try this unless you really have to.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Log in to your Amazon account and go to you collection manager and see if it is in the trash there. If you put it in there at any time then it can't be deleted from your archives until it is removed from the trash. Trashing it in collection manager just "hides" it.

If you really want to get something off your account for good then you have to go to the Manage my Kindle section and select the book/item you want to delete from there.

>_< Hope this helps.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I had the same problem with one book. It wasn't on my Manage Your Kindle Page anymore, but it was still in my Archive Items.

The suggestion to check my Media Library/Collections got me thinking about it, so I messed with it for a bit and now, it's finally gone.

Here's everything I did, since I don't know which part made it work:

1. I verified by searching and sorting that the item was not in my MYK page
2. I verified that it was not in my Media Library trash, but that it was in my Media Library under Your Collection/Kindle Items
3. I downloaded the supposedly deleted book from my Archive Items to my Kindle 3.
4. I opened the book and read a few sentences to verify that it was still stupid.
5. I pressed Home and then left cursored the item to remove the item from my device.
6. I went back to my Media Library and put the book in the trash and tried, unsuccessfully, to empty the trash
7. I took the item out of the trash and then clicked on its title to look at its details
8. I added the tag "idiotic" then thought better of it and removed all the tags from the book.
9. I went back to my Manage Your Kindle page and the book had reappeared.
10. I deleted it from MYK and re-checked my Kindle's Archive Items --- IT'S GONE!
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
kindletommy

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome here, and your hints and tips. Unfortunately none of them worked so far:

- Tried to put wireless off and on (both in a 3G location as well as with my WiFi), no changes.

- I did a factory reset (saved all of my books before of course). Interestingly enough, that did the trick, but once I register my Kindle again to my account, the non-accessible newspaper is being pushed again into my Kindle.

- I tried to reapply everything from the 10 steps above but nothing worked. Actually there is no "Trash" in my MediaLibrary (I think this only existed for K1s or K2s).

So it looks like somewhere on the Amazon servers in my account, they believe they need to push me a newspaper which I had on my own deleted on "ManageMyKindle". I thus sent them an email asking to simply get rid of this entry in my profile. Hope they will reply and not laugh too much about me...

Thanks
Tommy
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Ahh sounds like maybe it could be some kind of glitch then Tommy. Sorry we couldn't fix it for you but hopefully Amazon will Welcome aboard
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Don't mix the Manage Your Kindle and the Your Media Library pages, odd things might happen

I experienced the like with the old version of the user manual, turned out I had deleted it in the Media Library.

To check: got to amazon.com -> Your Account
Somewhere in the middle there's the Digital Content section.
Click "Your Media Library" column the Your Collections link
Navigate to Your Collections (the second from 3 Buttons on the top)
Just underneath, select View "Trash"

As you described your problem, your issue might indeed be trashed there!
If so, tick the Checkbox and then "perform action -> Return to your Collection

No go to the amazon - Your Account Page again, and navigate to Manage your Kindle (via Kindle Storefront, or via Digital Content Section as described above).

Your Issue should now be listed under "Your Orders".
If yes, click the little Plus sign, and then the "Delete this title" Button.

If no, you might try contacting customer support to help you (contact form is on the kindle help pages)

Viele Grüße.
Pascal
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
kindletommy

Issue solved :-)

Hello everyone,

First of all, THANK YOU to all of you for your hints and tips, and so quick help to a newcomer. I just had a phone call with the Amazon 24/7 support and they fixed it for me (resetting didn't work, the Trash in Media Library was already empty, so they refunded the purchase which got the newspaper out of my archived items).

I am really impressed about Amazon's support and the very nice and friendly forum here.

Now back to reading :-) I will reinvest the refunding immediately now...

Cheers
Tommy
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I had a deleting problem also. On my Kindle two Audible items showed up( I really don't know where from) when I registred it: 1. your first read 2. Anna Karenina; a free audible book I got when I bought an iPod some years back (I went for the longest book).
I deleted them from my collection Audible -they went to Archived Items- and they're like bugs- I can't get rid of them.

Edit: excuse me, it's already been taken care of with the following steps:

Kindle displays the items you've downloaded on the Home screen. Kindle active content not on your Kindle will be available in your Archived Items. You can delete downloaded content from your Kindle. These items are saved within your Archived Items, and will be available for download again.

If you want to permanently remove a title from your Kindle account and Archived Items, please visit http://www.amazon.com/myk and follow these instructions:

1. Locate the item you wish to delete in the "Your Orders" section. If you have a lot of content, you may need to use the Previous and Next links at the bottom to navigate through all of your content.
2. Click the "+" icon to reveal the order details and available actions.
3. Click on "Delete this title" button next to the title to permanently remove the title item from your account and Archived Items.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-12-2010 at 01:11 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
BAM
BAM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Deleting From Archives

thank you

Last edited by BAM; 08-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote