Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #256
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Here is my story

I have had numerous eink devices for a few years now, my main goal was to be able to carry around a lot of documentation easily, as I am often referring to regulation/best practices and project plans/reviews (security architect, IT security).

I originally bought a sony, but the pdfs did not work for me well, got an iliad ($799 is I am not mistaken, could have been less, but it was quite a bit), I loved that it ran linux, and when they gave shell access I was elated, they were porting things like staroffice to it, and chess, etc.

But it still was not adequate for my pdfs.

I was given an ipod touch for a gift, and when I was able to hook it up to itunes, which managed my podcasts for me, and gave me some PDA functionality as well, I was very happy, email, calendar, weather, etc.

But still no PDFs, I wanted a bigger format of the ipod touch, it turns commodity services like email and all into an appliance which I don't have to manage.

Voila, the ipad comes around, and I preorder, fully expecting to be disappointed, but, I now have my thousands of pages of documents on me always, for $10 I can bring docx files back and fourth to work, do some light editing from my easy chair (via pages), check my email, surf the web, and read newspapers. I did convert the PDFs to epub, which worked very well for me.

And I now only have to haul 1.5 pounds of slimness in my briefcase, and still have room for my lunch (I walk to and from work).

I like the eink better for reading, though lack of color can be problematic, but not devastating, but I am happy as a clam.

Also, do not get me wrong, I don't like the control over the apps apple has, but if that buys me some stability and security, I am ok with it. I do VOIP open source development as a hobby, and I am a BIG proponent of open source, but sometimes I just want do do simple things simply and not have things too overcomplicated. There is an elegance to simplicity.
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #257
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another flaw of iBook (supposedly) is that it forces full justification on ePub instead of respecting the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert