Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teko View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

the video here gives some views of how ebooks look, I'd be concerned with glare on it
From that video, I would be willing to pay $200 JUST to use it as an interactive photo album. What a great way to view family pics, passing a tablet around.

Then add on newspapers, apps, games, music, movies, youtube (which looks great on it), ebooks, calendar, cookbooks. It is a very compelling device, the screen looks great and it's come in surprisingly cheap. Any bets on how long it will take for Amazon to respond?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How will all of this improve reading The Lord of the Rings?
Ability to get an e-book version with Alan Lee's outstanding illustrations on a screen where they'll look great?

Point being it won't be better for reading novels with straight text. If that's all you do, then a tablet like this won't be for you.

But if you read magazines, newspapers or comics it will be great. Or textbooks. Or scholarly/technical PDFs with lots of graphs and figures.

And even moreso if you're not just a reader but also into TV shows, movies, games etc. as then you have multiple hobbies and one easy to carry around device.

But yeah, if one's just an avid reader that spends most of their free time just reading straight text, then they need not pay attention to tablets. At least most of them. I'm sure some would prefer reading on a tablet for some reason, so I don't want to state that too broadly.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

SOOOOOooooooo disappointed !!!
hmm. i read backlit lcd screens for hours and don't have any problems. guess it'll be a great ereader (among other things) for me!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #34
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
In exactly the same way as e-ink did, except with more colours better contrast a back light, heavier and shorter Battery life.
And you can do it quickly. In fact, you can finish the entire trilogy in about nine hours, on a single battery charge.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #35
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good thread! Unlike many out there on the iPad, this one has divergent points of view and good info--and a real conversation rather than just a series of diatribes or ramblings.

These are oddly opposites-- eink great in daylight but nothing in low light or darkness; LCD/LED great in most conditions, but hard in daylight, well sunshine.

As to the reading experience, I still don't get all the "easy on the eyes" eink accolades, when that darn screen flashes on a page turn! While I'm sure many find eink easier for *them* compared to LCDs, I'll bet that there are even more that would be bothered by it! And most seem to have no probs reading on LCD or LCD/LED backlit/ ISP screens!

I'll also wager that many people's probs with LCD comes from the type of screen they have-- gloss or matte-- and the lighting conditions they're working under--rather than the LCD per se.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
I'll also wager that many people's probs with LCD comes from the type of screen they have-- gloss or matte-- and the lighting conditions they're working under--rather than the LCD per se.
Well, IPS/PVA vs. TN is probably a bigger factor.

But one thing you need to keep in mind is, using a handheld device is very different from reading a fixed screen. When using a desktop monitor or a laptop, you can adjust the display angle independently of everything else. So you are using the display at close to optimal angle. Well, within +/- 20 degrees of it, surely.

On the other hand, with a handheld device, you can't adjust the screen to an arbitrary angle. Often times, what feels most comfortable to your arms (i.e. comfortable to hold, and comfortable to write/touch on) doesn't feel comfortable to your eyes. And if you decide to set your tablet device on a desk or table, then it's worse still - you certainly won't be looking straight down at it.

I'm convinced that this is one major reason why eInk has the reputation of being "easy on the eyes" - because it maintains good contrast even when viewed at an angle.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really see that personally. I find laptops and desktops hard to get in the sweet spot. Angle isn't much of an issue, but the screen tends to be further away than I'd like in most desks, or working with laptop on a lapdesk (like I am at the moment etc).

With a handheld, I can hold it at whatever angle and distance I want just like I can a real book or my Kindle.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #38
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I don't wear glasses and I'd like to keep it this way. My eyes get tired in less than half an hour reading on my iPhone. I like e-ink, because under bright light it's easy on my eyes and I can read for hours.

BUT, the iPad has an IPS screen. I like IPS screens - I stare at one all day, without any eye fatigue.

If the screen on the iPad is anything like the screens on the couple of IPS monitors I have, I'd be perfectly happy reading on it, and dumping my Kindle. My main issue is the sub-10" size of the screen, which is too small for PDFs (and the possible lack of Flash.)
Sorry just had to comment on this mis-conception!

You cannot "save" your vision nor eliminate the possibility of needing glasses based on any source which you read from, incuding any screen technology.

To date not ONE doctor has ever released research to indicate that you can negatively impact your eyesight by reading in poor light or by reading on any source of book, screen, computer screen, back-lighted screen, etc.

Your eyesight, good or bad, is not a reflection on how your read or what medium you read on.

Your eyesight is a wonderful miracle that unfortunately depreciates with age. When you get older (and this is a wide timeframe) the muscles in your eye can no longer contract in the fashion necessary to focus.

So, it is a mere rumor that you can negatively impact your eyesight based upon the device in which you read on.

If you get headaches or other such issues it is likely you are simply dealing with the progression of vision loss due to age or possibly other eye-health issues.

You cannot blame it on any form of screen technology available today unless you happen to have some form of eye illness.
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #39
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
I'm convinced that this is one major reason why eInk has the reputation of being "easy on the eyes" - because it maintains good contrast even when viewed at an angle.
I believe this is one of the selling points for the iPad. Having a great viewing angle due to the IPS-screen compared to a normal LCD-display.

IPS - in-plane switching.... the liquid crystals are aligned horizontally instead of on an angle. This process greatly increases vertical viewing angles.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #40
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1509 View Post
... So, it is a mere rumor that you can negatively impact your eyesight based upon the device in which you read on.

If you get headaches or other such issues it is likely you are simply dealing with the progression of vision loss due to age or possibly other eye-health issues.

You cannot blame it on any form of screen technology available today unless you happen to have some form of eye illness.
Hm, I am afraid you are confusing eye disease and eyestrain.

Here is a list of causes of eyestrain, provided by the Mayo Clinic:

"Causes
By Mayo Clinic staff

Common causes of eyestrain include:

* Extended use of a computer or video monitor
* Reading for extended periods
* Exposure to bright light or glare
* Straining to see in very dim light

Using a computer for long periods is one of the most common causes of eyestrain. This type of eyestrain is called computer vision syndrome. In some cases, an underlying eye problem such as eye muscle imbalance or uncorrected vision can cause or worsen computer eyestrain.
"

To Illustrate:

If I read on my iPhone for more than a few minutes, when I look away in the distance, my vision is blurry for a little while.

I can read for a lot longer on my Apple LCD laptop, but eventually, I do get similar temporary blurriness when I look at the distance.

Reading a book is next, I can read a bit longer than on the laptop.

Strangely, reading on the Kindle (lit well by a clip on), tires my eyes less than reading a book.

Similarly, I can stare at my Apple IPS monitor all day, without any bothersome eyestrain.

This is my personal experience, of course. I do not wear prescription glasses.

I will have to see the iPad's screen in person, before I can judge if it tires my eyes or not.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #41
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
e-reader = electronic reader which the iPad is. It is NOT a e-ink reader which is what I think you meant.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #42
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Similarly, I can stare at my Apple IPS monitor all day, without any bothersome eyestrain.
I'm really exited about seeing an IPS screen for myself. Have to go over to the Apple centre when the iPad gets out. Is it a big difference from a regular LCD screen?

I remember a huge difference moving from CRT to LCD is it similar or more subtle.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #43
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I'm really exited about seeing an IPS screen for myself. Have to go over to the Apple centre when the iPad gets out. Is it a big difference from a regular LCD screen?

I remember a huge difference moving from CRT to LCD is it similar or more subtle.
You can check now at the Apple Centre-go take a look at the white Macbook LCD, then go look at the new 27" iMac...walk around both displays to see them at various angles...you'll be amazed how on the 27" iMac you can still see the screen clearly from even the far sides!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #44
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
... Is it a big difference from a regular LCD screen?

I don't think the difference is huge.

IPS panels are 8-bit, while TN panels are 6-bit, thus colors look noticeably better on the IPS monitors (TN LCDs look flat and a bit washed-out in comparison).

And of course, the fact that the brightness/color of the image doesn't change as you shift viewing angles, makes a difference.

Overall, I personally think IPS is just enough of a push in the right direction, to make it possible to read for a longer periods, without eyestrain. But I'll find out when I see the iPad in person.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #45
dmaul1114
Wizard

I haven't used IPS, but I think even LED backlighting on LCD screens makes a big difference. The lack of flicker gives me a lot less eyestrain on my current laptop and office PC monitor than my previous ones which were fluorescent back lit.