Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Bilbo1967 Honorary Trophy thread

Yeah, you're scared now, aren't you Bilbo1967? After the horrid, hateful things you said in that other thread. Well let me tell you...

....Nah, I kid! I kid! You were fine, mate. In fact, you were my inspiration (Don't feel too chuffed - some folk here will curse you for inspiring me, of all people )

[Okay, folks, I've said this thread is "Unutterably Silly", and being so I'm going to ask you to be silly by staying (relatively) on-topic and on-purpose in a silly thread. Yes, that's just how silly I am. Mad as a drunken teapot.]

Whether right or wrong or somewhere inbetween or elsewhere, Bilbo1967 felt that cracking into the existing rabble of MR (particularly the Lounge) was a difficult one, and even felt "totally ignored". I don't really give a fat rat's manky clacker whether folks feel that that has any validity, but as sure as a gibbon-hurled banana can cause a nasty concussion in his unsuspecting target (Adrian can be a right bastiche when the mood takes him), I don't want him(? - "him" I'm guessing from the username) to feel that way. I don't want anyone to feel that way. The word I'm looking for is "Inclusive"!!! (I thought it needed extra exclamation marks).

To contradict myself and address the possibility of validity, I'll say that when the conversation gets going, it might be an easier path at times to pass by the unfamiliar to grasp at familiarity and respond to it (especially when you're like me and catching up on an entire northern hemisphere's overnight ramblings). I'll also reiterate what the Good Professor Wood (RWood) said, and say that it happens to all of us, and that some of my finest work, as judged so by some of the loudest voices of my generation (that is, the ones in my head) has been completely and utterly ignored (I mean, come on people: "Ceci n'est pas une porte". Genius!). Ah, C'est la vie.

Which brings me to the purpose of this thread. This thread is not for people to argue the above. This thread is not to make those who feel the same as Bilbo1967 to now feel pressured to explain why they might feel that way. This thread is however for Bilbo1967, and people who may feel somewhat ignored or intimidated within the sillier situations within the Lounge. One must assume they wish to be there, so one must be delighted to have their company. This thread is more than about welcome, which is what we do in the "Introductions" section. This thread is about openness, friendliness, acknowledgement and INCLUSIVENESS.

Okay, the floor's yours, Bilbo1967.

Hah, I kid again! As if I'd leave you with a microphone and dead air. I'm a bastiche, but I'm not a complete bastiche.

Everyone who feels a sense of belonging here, your mission is to give people who post here in this thread, those that are yet to have that same sense of belonging, every possible reason to have it by the time the thread finishes (another one of my little jokes - silly threads rarely end, so I actually mean "soonest" ). That is the on-topicality I expect and will insist on (with Adrian holding a quiver of bananas and eyeing anyone who doesn't keep to it). Bilbo1967 and all other imminent friends, your mission is to just say "Hi, I'm silly, and I'm proud of it" (okay, you don't really have to say that if you don't want, but you get the drift ). You can ask any questions about any of the odder local memes you may see around the LLounge (Adrian, PORTUGAL! Llamas, PNS, the Party, Queen Zee, socks, Marvin, et cetera) and we will not (and never would) consider them stupid, though obviously we reserve the right to consider them silly. (because "silly" is a lot of what we do ). You can just start in by talking about how much you love Portuguese Tarts. I don't mind at all. You've introduced yourself to MR over in Introductions, so now feel welcome to here introduce yourself to the Llounge, and become a Llounge Llama.

Some helpful questions to get you on your way:

Do you like chocolate, pastry, bacon, or Surströmming?

Why can't you get to the next Paris get-together?

Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Monty Python or Will Ferrell? (Helpful clue: don't say "Will Ferrell")

Do you like dogs, cats, or both?

Are you for or against Cannibalism-Friday?

Can you lend me $15?

Why did you pick your username?

Why did you pick that shirt to go with those pants?

Does my bum look big in this?

In a poll do you vote for:
A. The right answer
B. The just answer
C. The wrong answer
D. Ignore Ravenne and vote for the blue one next to the fish

What's the difference between a duck?

...and finally,

Can I get you a drink?

'Course, make up your own questions and answer them if you wish. It's all good. All "new" folk get the Bilbo1967 Honorary Trophy, which is shaped like a bronze, hairy foot, and will henceforth be called "The Bilbothy". Every participant here is honour-bound to find every opportunity to present one to others, be it here or elsewhere in the Llounge.

Come forth, my pretties. And I'm serious about that drink.

Cheers,
Marc
Your Host For This Threading's Festivities, &
CEO - Montsnmags Enterprises ("Where dreams come through like a runaway freight train")

Last edited by montsnmags; 05-09-2009 at 09:45 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Inclusive is my most favoritest word (after PORTUGAL!). Nicely said, Marc (I think).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
OK, *very* nicely said, but where's the trophy? Is Bilbo1967's name inscribed on it yet or were you just being metaphorical?

WDE. (Oh, I get it, this *threads* the trophy!)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
eh !
what ?
mind unravelling as the thread begins, there will be nothing left in my brain cell by the time it finishes.
do we have a knitter on standby?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooooohhh, I can't wait for the unveiling of "The Bilbothy".
Who's going to be the designer? Can we have a contest? Can we have a poll? Where's ravenne?

WDE.
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'll take a vodka tonic, please

Come in guys, the water's fine!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
so where are all the new members ? come on, don't be shy...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
okay, hi all - I'm rather new to this thread ... this is only my second post here ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Okay, I will start the ball rolling...as I am mostly still a newbie to the Llounge.

My name is Curly due to my curly hair (which goes very frizzy in the damp Scottish climate in which I find myself). I am in no way associated with Larry and Moe.

I love chocolate, donuts, coffee and my 505. I generally vote for all choices in every and any poll going.

Hints and tips for other Newbie Llounge Lizards:

1. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to answer numerous questions about the 'backstory'.
2. Visit MR and the lounge every free moment you get and post often.
3. A good place to start posting are the 'Guilt by Association', Vent and Rant, What are you Doing Right Now, and the weather threads.
4. Don't worry about being humorous or joining in with the 'in-jokes' at first!
5. Above all -- have fun!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for jumping in curly ! and telling us the story of your nickname. that is some excellent advice.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Okay, I will start the ball rolling...as I am mostly still a newbie to the Llounge.
A greenhorn, a greenhorn.
(just kidding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Hints and tips for other Newbie Llounge Lizards:

1. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to answer numerous questions about the 'backstory'.
2. Visit MR and the lounge every free moment you get and post often.
3. A good place to start posting are the 'Guilt by Association', Vent and Rant, What are you Doing Right Now, and the weather threads.
4. Don't worry about being humorous or joining in with the 'in-jokes' at first!
5. Above all -- have fun!
Very wise tips.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If we are going for newbies I must be about the newest in this thread.

Joined 29-4-09 (thats in the UK date format) 04-29-09 for my transatlantic cousins.

I still find this place scary and daunting but intend to post until I:

1. realise that I am fitting in
or
2. get told to shut up

Pev
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post

Joined 29-4-09 (thats in the UK date format) 04-29-09 for my transatlantic cousins.

or
2. get told to shut up

Pev
as far as i am concerned, you already fit in. i remember you talking about your cat and saying you were worried you would sound like a crazy cat man (i'm paraphrasing), which of course are three things we particularly appreciate around these parts. i've noticed quite a few of your posts and enjoyed them. i'm glad you're here, and i would like to tell you to do the opposite of shut up : please continue !
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:

or
2. get told to shut up

Pev
Welcome Pev

I'd give you "The Bilbothy" but it's not ready yet.

Never shut up!

WDE
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
[..]
Pev
Oh no, it's just montsnmags who makes this place a little bit scary sometimes.

Please keep on posting, i enjoy reading your posts!
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote