Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #1111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Still listening to Confessions of an Opium Eater. Never knew doing drugs could be so boring.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #1112
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm listening to Patricia MacDonald's I See You. The main characters, and a few plot elements, seem to have been inspired somewhat by Casey Anthony and her parents, though the story isn't about a child murder.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 AM   #1113
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
After Ex Heroes I ended up grabbing Firefight by Brandon Sanderson. Despite the overlap in subject matter (superheroes, and furthermore, post-apocalyptic superheroes), they couldn't be more different. After the grimdark Watchmen-meets-Walking-Dead tone of Ex Heroes, Sanderson's goofy YA protagonist took some getting used to, but the end result was definitely superior to Steelheart. I'd rather see more epic fantasy from Sanderson, whether it's Stormlight or Mistborn, but if projects like the Reckoners help him stay energized for more srs bsns, I won't begrudge him.

ETA: Oh and hey, to stay genuinely on topic, what I'm listening to now is C.J. Cherryh's Hammerfall, which gets mixed reviews, but I'm liking it quite well so far. It feels more mythic sci-fi in the Herbert or Zelazny vein, which I can see Cherryh's audience from some more LeGuin-ish series not grokking so well, but I like it.

Last edited by taosaur; 01-29-2015 at 02:08 AM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #1114
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I am listening to Good Omen by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and narrated by Martin Jarvis. I read the book few years back and really liked it but the audiobook is even better, kept laughing during my entire train journey . I really wish they had written a few more books together.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #1115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Wood Sprites, I want MORE.

Decided to read Sloop of War, by Alexander Kent, and narrated by Michael Jayston. This is number 5 (?) in the Richard Bolitho series. This is a series I've read many years ago, and am now picking up again because the books are finally becoming available in North America in both eBook and audio book formats. They're not Aubrey/Maturin, but still very enjoyable. The narrator, however, is no better than a 3.5 or so.
Got sidetracked by Just One Damn Thing After Another, the first in the Chronicles of St. Mary. This $20.85 list, or $1.99 if you buy the Kindle book for $.85. Duh.

This book, narrated by Zara Ramm, is the exploits of time traveling historians, based in St. Mary's College. The narration is good, not great, the story is well done (though like a lot of folks, I find the 4 year gap a bit annoying), and when all is said and done, I was _really_ glad I was on a long trip in the car, cause I was no way going to put this down!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #1116
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Got sidetracked by Just One Damn Thing After Another, the first in the Chronicles of St. Mary. This $20.85 list, or $1.99 if you buy the Kindle book for $.85. Duh.

This book, narrated by Zara Ramm, is the exploits of time traveling historians, based in St. Mary's College. The narration is good, not great, the story is well done (though like a lot of folks, I find the 4 year gap a bit annoying), and when all is said and done, I was _really_ glad I was on a long trip in the car, cause I was no way going to put this down!

I read that on my Kindle and am not sure if I want to read any more in the series or not. It was surprisingly violent and contained a high body bag count. Often when I was just warming to a particular character the author would do them in. I did like the ending, though.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #1117
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It is rather violent (but then, so is history!), but I found myself quite caught up by it. My tolerance for spurious or "loving" violence is fairly low, as you know, but this never (quite) tripped my triggers. Not sure why. Possibly because the main character was a woman, and she kicks a**. IAC, I'm definitely reading the second one, but only as an Audible book, since I have credits, but don't want to spend any more actual $$ this month.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #1118
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
It is rather violent (but then, so is history!), but I found myself quite caught up by it. My tolerance for spurious or "loving" violence is fairly low, as you know, but this never (quite) tripped my triggers. Not sure why. Possibly because the main character was a woman, and she kicks a**. IAC, I'm definitely reading the second one, but only as an Audible book, since I have credits, but don't want to spend any more actual $$ this month.
I've read the first two (on kindle, not via audio) and enjoyed them a lot. Hoping the third will come available on Prime, or go on offer, soon.

I'm currently listening to The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack: Burton & Swinburne, Book 1 by Mark Hodder, narrated by Gerard Doyle, who is making a fair go of it. It is a reimagining of Sir Richard Burton's life set against a steampunk world where trains run on compressed air, and penny farthings have gyroscopes and are driven by coal-burning engines. The sudden twist that I have just encountered (presaged in the blurb, so not a spoiler, I think), and which I imagine is going to take us away from the real history is:

Spoiler:
A time traveller has abruptly appeared to Burton. Nuff said.

It does however stick quite closely to his real life events, at least at the moment (I'm still only a little way in) and so far is largely involved with the disagreement between Burton and Speke over the discovery of the source of the Nile (as depicted in the great movie "Mountains of the Moon").
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #1119
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've started Villette by Charlotte Bronte, read by Davina Porter. So far so good, a nice leisurely listen. I know people love Porter's reading of the Outlander books; so far I haven't been swept away to that extent.

If The Age of Innocence is picked for the bookclub, I'll regret not having started that in a timely manner, as I own the audio book and it will be hard to squeeze it in after Villette.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #1120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Having finished Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas De Quincey (audiobook read by Martin Geeson), I'm now reading "Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven" by Mark Twain, an audio short story of roughly an hour and a half in length read by Kevin LaVergne.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #1121
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Finished Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch and the narrator is definitely a delight I enjoyed the book and will be adding some more in the series to my library soon Moving on to Deadline(Virgil Flowers 8) by John Sandford
Ripped through Deadline and enjoyed it more than the previous one in the series. Unfortunately I've come to the current end so will have to wait for the next one to be released he seems to be doing one a year so that's a major bummer, I will likely return to the Davenport books of which I've only done 2.

Meanwhile I am listening to Moon over Soto by Ben Aaronovitch halfway through and loving it
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #1122
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
WHEN do you-all find time to listen to books? (Break out, if this should really be a separate topic, but I really only intend a short side question.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #1123
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

On my daily walks.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #1124
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Driving, walking, swimming.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #1125
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Cooking, laundry, other household chores. And especially while driving.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations