Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Stanza works with ios7

Just so you all know. In the latest ios7 beta, Stanza is back to full functionality.

It no longer locks up when trying to make changes in setup.

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Just so you all know. In the latest ios7 beta, Stanza is back to full functionality.

It no longer locks up when trying to make changes in setup.
A firmware update that fixes compatibility instead of breaking it? That's unusual. Alas, the letterboxing is annoying on the 4" iPhone 5. Might install it on the iPhone 4 and 4S, though.

Hmm, I see you have an iPhone 4 in your profile. Do you have iOS 7 installed there? If so, how is the performance?

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
A firmware update that fixes compatibility instead of breaking it? That's unusual. Alas, the letterboxing is annoying on the 4" iPhone 5. Might install it on the iPhone 4 and 4S, though.
Indeed it is. I no longer use Stanza, specially now that Marvin is around. In a couple of weeks Marvin 2.0 will be available for iPhone and iPad and it will gave sync between multiple installs. Besides Stanza is no longer in development, so what's the point.

I just happened to still have installed and tried it out of curiosity.

Quote:
Hmm, I see you have an iPhone 4 in your profile. Do you have iOS 7 installed there? If so, how is the performance?
Sorry, just upgraded to iPhone 5. On the iPhone, ios7 seems as fast as 6.x and very stable. On ipad2, it's fast, but it us still buggy, though it has improved greatly the last 2 betas.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Wow. It fixes *all* the broken bits? or just setup (IIRC there were dictionary and other issues as well)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
artbatista
Groupie

To be honest, I just went thru the setup items. I really didn't care enough.

I no longer use Stanza, in favor of Marvin.

Why bother? Stanza is Amazon dead anyway, and Marvin is so much better.

Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Wow. It fixes *all* the broken bits? or just setup (IIRC there were dictionary and other issues as well)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
To be honest, I just went thru the setup items. I really didn't care enough.

I no longer use Stanza, in favor of Marvin.

Why bother? Stanza is Amazon dead anyway, and Marvin is so much better.

Art
Marvin is better, agreed, and when its available on phone, I'll probably make the switch... probably being the operative word. But right now, Stanza is my reader of choice, I'm still on an iPhone 4S and unlikely to upgrade for a long time, so that is why I would bother.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Marvin is better, agreed, and when its available on phone, I'll probably make the switch... probably being the operative word. But right now, Stanza is my reader of choice, I'm still on an iPhone 4S and unlikely to upgrade for a long time, so that is why I would bother.
True but theoretically, by the time iOS 7 rolls out, Marvin for iPhone/iPod Touch would also be released.

There are actually still stuff I think Stanza handles better than Marvin. For example, when downloading a book from an OPDS feed and I already have a similar file in the library, Stanza asks me if I still want to download. On Marvin, it just tells me that the book is already in the library and that's it. I'd have to go to the library, search for the book, delete it and go to the OPDS feed again to download. I read a lot of fanfics most of which are WIP so that actually gets to be pretty annoying.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
True but theoretically, by the time iOS 7 rolls out, Marvin for iPhone/iPod Touch would also be released.

There are actually still stuff I think Stanza handles better than Marvin. For example, when downloading a book from an OPDS feed and I already have a similar file in the library, Stanza asks me if I still want to download. On Marvin, it just tells me that the book is already in the library and that's it. I'd have to go to the library, search for the book, delete it and go to the OPDS feed again to download. I read a lot of fanfics most of which are WIP so that actually gets to be pretty annoying.
He has been promising a Marvin for iPhone since the 4th quarter of 2012. Is he really close to releasing it or is this just MORE wishful thinking? I have Marvin on my iPad and would like to have it on my iPhone too, but I won't use it much until I can reliably sync between the two devices. Until then I'll continue to use the Kindle app.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
He has been promising a Marvin for iPhone since the 4th quarter of 2012. Is he really close to releasing it or is this just MORE wishful thinking? I have Marvin on my iPad and would like to have it on my iPhone too, but I won't use it much until I can reliably sync between the two devices. Until then I'll continue to use the Kindle app.
Kris said he has plans for an iphone version since then, but now he says it is to be expected very soon....I believe him.

I expect you will be pleasantly surprised.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Is he really close to releasing it or is this just MORE wishful thinking?
Marvin for iPhone will be submitted to Apple within the next few weeks.

Last edited by kguil; 08-26-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Just as an FYI: I upgraded to iOS7 for 24 hours, to see how Stanza behaved and it did, but only as much as it did when Amazon finally caved in and gave us something that worked with iOS5. IOW, the only thing that works is the reading and storage of books, and preferences. Dont try to use the dictionary, you'll get the dreaded unhandled exception and app freeze.

Roll on September. And I am back to iOS6.1.3, it will do me.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Fionabyrns
Fionabyrns began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have 2 different ipads and the newer one ipad 4 stanza just crashes when asking for a username and password???? anyone else have this why would I need a username and password. The older one with iOS7 works fine.
Fionabyrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

It should not be asking for a username and pass. There are no circumstances in which thats required with Stanza. It doesnt do Adobe DRM so even that is out of the question. I'd suggest a delete and reinstall, or better still, get Marvin which is streets ahead of Stanza in so many ways...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
It should not be asking for a username and pass. There are no circumstances in which thats required with Stanza.
Maybe he's opening a password protected OPDS catalog?