Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
nativeBridge.dbgCmd

Good afternoon!!!

I read about the nativeBridge.dbgCmd function and it sounds awesome!

I tried to use it in a waf, to kill it from inside itself but I didn't manage to make it work!

I used this:

PHP Code:
<form id="killWAF" action="" method="get" align="center" style="display: block;">
        <
input type="button" name="buttonKillWAF" value="->Kill WAF<-" onClick="nativeBridge.dbgCmd('killall wafapp');">
</
form 

Thanks a lot!!!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Good afternoon!!!

I read about the nativeBridge.dbgCmd function and it sounds awesome!

I tried to use it in a waf, to kill it from inside itself but I didn't manage to make it work!

I used this:

PHP Code:
<form id="killWAF" action="" method="get" align="center" style="display: block;">
        <
input type="button" name="buttonKillWAF" value="->Kill WAF<-" onClick="nativeBridge.dbgCmd('killall wafapp');">
</
form 

Thanks a lot!!!
I may be wrong, but I think that this functionality has been entirely removed with 5.0.3.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that this functionality has been entirely removed with 5.0.3.
That would explain why yifanlu's launcher menu stopped being useful for me after upgrading from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4.

Bummer! Now we need a new way to toggle USBnet from the framework...

Oh... wait... I know how to execute arbitrary programs or scripts by typing something "special" in the search bar. Perhaps that can be leveraged into a launcher menu. But they only run as user "framework". Perhaps they can tell a root daemon process to do something useful though...

In other words, we have root! We CAN replace the missing functions that amazon removed in the update. We can simply revert to the older files from a previous firmware version, or we can "roll our own" alternate solution that looks for sentinel (trigger) files to decide what root action to do for us.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That would explain why yifanlu's launcher menu stopped being useful for me after upgrading from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4.

Bummer! Now we need a new way to toggle USBnet from the framework...
Hmm... I'm also running 5.0.4, and toggling USB network through the launcher works perfectly well for me. So it must be something different...
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm... I'm also running 5.0.4, and toggling USB network through the launcher works perfectly well for me. So it must be something different...
Well, I did not activate it yet after restoring from factory-fresh 5.0.0 backups just before the 5.0.4 upgrade, so I could compare before-and-after images.

Does USBnet require activation with amazon?
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:

Does USBnet require activation with amazon?
Nope. My device is also not registered with Amazon (at least most of the time)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Nope. My device is also not registered with Amazon (at least most of the time)
Hmm... None of my launcher menu items work. I suppose I need to reinstall it.

I have been using diags USBnet most of the time, after fastboot flashing the diags partition image with SSH pre-installed.

EDIT: @ixtab: Athough a wee bit off-topic, I respect your opinion, and in your opinion, does this make me a wee bit insane? : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1997659

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks a lot!!
that's good: it's not me being dumb this time!

anyway, it is frustating: it was a really good way of executing shell command from a waf (actually the only way).
So, no chances of killing a waf using an exit button?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
it's not me being dumb this time!
So... it is ME you are calling "dumb", then? At least that is better than "insane". There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and sometimes it is a bit hard to see which side of that line I am on.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
same for me. It works well on 5.0.4 firmware installed.
An interesting fact:
I had 5.04 firmware installed, then I reset it to the factory defaults and running USBNet from the GUI Launcher broke. I installed it over and it works again.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
So... it is ME you are calling "dumb", then? At least that is better than "insane". There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and sometimes it is a bit hard to see which side of that line I am on.
LOL, no!

I just was super-excited about nativeBridge but I didn't manage to make it work==>I must be dumb!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
LOL, no!

I just was super-excited about nativeBridge but I didn't manage to make it work==>I must be dumb!
I thought your "not me" was meant as my "me", in your post quoted below:
Quote:
it's not me being dumb this time!

In my case, lately I have been getting "super-excited" by doing interesting things normally only done in native code (such as processing binary data), using only shell scripts and a minimum of external built-in program calls. These include reading binary input events (see the my touchpaint script) and writing binary pixel data directly into the eInk framebuffer (see my ddplot script).

K4 and Touch (ddplot): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1997659

Touch (touchpaint): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1989102

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

@silver18: just add "Kill all WAFs" entry to GUI launcher A bit awkward, but it would work...
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
@silver18: just add "Kill all WAFs" entry to GUI launcher A bit awkward, but it would work...
That's what I currently do!
Anyway, I would like to provide an exit button, but it seems there is no way of doing it!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Umm... If only you could access filesystem to write you could create a flag file in, say, /tmp, and make cronjob running that would "killall wafapp" if it finds a file...
Yep, another dirty workaround, I know, but still...
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote