Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
marimorimo
marimorimo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Showing book cover upon opening ebook?

Is there a way to show the book cover instead of 'beginning' when you first open an ebook?

I love seeing book covers and read everything in between the cover to the first page of chapter one (copyright, dedication page, preliminary quotes...)

I've only had the Kindle for a few days and I love it but this is one of the issues that's bothering me big time. The other is dismal file organization.
marimorimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I'm guessing Calibre can do it. Changing the metadata or something like that?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The "beginning" of the book is whatever page the person who formatted the ebook set it to. You may very well be able to adjust this is Calibre, but I think it's just easier to use the Go To function of the Kindle and select Cover.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The "beginning" of the book is whatever page the person who formatted the ebook set it to. You may very well be able to adjust this is Calibre, but I think it's just easier to use the Go To function of the Kindle and select Cover.
This is true, but there's no way to tell a book to open at its cover. If you don't explicitly tell the book where to open, it will open at its first page, and doing a "page back" will display the cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is true, but there's no way to tell a book to open at its cover. If you don't explicitly tell the book where to open, it will open at its first page, and doing a "page back" will display the cover.

In some cases, it's many pages back. I prefer to use the Go To -> Cover option on the Kindle. It has never failed yet to put me at the cover page.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
marimorimo

Thank for the replies. Yes I know the "Go to..." function. I use it all the time to see the covers. But what I want to do is see the cover immediately upon opening the ebook without having to backtrack.

The way it is now, I feel like I picked up a book without a cover.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimorimo View Post
Thank for the replies. Yes I know the "Go to..." function. I use it all the time to see the covers. But what I want to do is see the cover immediately upon opening the ebook without having to backtrack.

The way it is now, I feel like I picked up a book without a cover.
As I said in an earlier post, you CANNOT make a Mobipocket book open at its cover. Sorry, but that's the way it is. The facility which enables a Mobipocket book to specify its opening location does not permit you to say "open at the cover".
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only way you could make it work would be to remove the DRM from all of your books, unpack them, modify them to include an inline image of the book's cover art as the first page of the book, and then rebuild the mobi's. Other than that, you're SOL, because like Harry said... with mobipocket, you can't tell a book to open to the cover art.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only way you could make it work would be to remove the DRM from all of your books, unpack them, modify them to include an inline image of the book's cover art as the first page of the book, and then rebuild the mobi's. Other than that, you're SOL, because like Harry said... with mobipocket, you can't tell a book to open to the cover art.
So the cover pic is not embedded in the text file? I didn't know that.... Is it the same for ePub?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So the cover pic is not embedded in the text file? I didn't know that.... Is it the same for ePub?
The cover image can be part of the "text" in a Mobi file, but that's up to the ebook producer to do... and it doesn't seem to be a very popular practice. In Mobipocket, the cover art is part of the metadata and not a part of the actual "book".

In practice, epub books tend to include the cover image in some sort of image tag on the very first "page" of the ebook. The cover image is not really separate from the ebook like it is with mobipocket.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
marimorimo

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks. It has fully dawned on me that mobipocket sucks.

It seems I shall forever have to manually press buttons just to see the cover
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool inconsequential

Quote:
Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks. It has fully dawned on me that mobipocket sucks.

mobipocket has certain inadequacies, but 'sucks' is a bit harsh just because it won't behave in the pretty much inconsequential way you wish it to.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I never cared about the cover art on pbooks either, so I never really noticed that mobi was lacking in this particular department.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Because you can't open a book at the cover image? A touch over the top, if you'll forgive me for saying so. After all, if you want to see the cover, all you need do is select the book in the library and press "right" on the 5-way controller.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
mobipocket has certain inadequacies, but 'sucks' is a bit harsh just because it won't behave in the pretty much inconsequential way you wish it to.
I think sucks just about sums it up. That why we had MS Reader and now ePub.

There's no way to have a graphic to the right of the text. I have an ePub that has the graphics set to the right and the text on the left. Looks quite nice in ePub. Mobipocket just has the graphic between lines of text and looks not so nice.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote