Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Remote X11?

Hey guys, first off I'd like to thank all of you for the hard work you put into this. As someone who's helped release Jailbreaks for the iPad and get custom firmware onto routers in the past, I know the amount of work that goes into these things and it's a great service you do for the community.

Okay, enough butt kissing, onto the questions!

I've got some embedded hardware here (right now a Raspberry Pi, will eventually replaced with an ARM device) that I'd like to capture an X session from.

Right now, with Xorg running on the Pi, I can simply SSH from my MacBook Air with the -X option (ssh -X pi@mypi.local), execute the command for an X app (midori) and it will pop up on the Air. I'd like to use my PaperWhite instead of the Air for this. Since it runs X, this should be possible, right?

I see Xorg running and I know it has to be restarted sans the -nowait tcp option.

Right now I've got my Kindle Jailbroken, have KUAL, usbnet and kterm installed. There doesn't seem to be a copy of the OpenSSH client installed, so I suppose I'll need that, unless someone has a better way of accomplishing the X forwarding?

I know VNC is an option, but I'd prefer to do it this way if possible for now.

Thanks guys!
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay will have a dig around in the AM (mine)

I see your point (I think) and the "sans the -nowait tcp option." at least should not be a problem...

Let's see what else drops out okay?

thanks for the lucid and well worded issue, that is refreshingly helpful.

And after a lifetime of hanging around asskissers (it's a hazard in my line of work) my ass is as kissed as I will ever need it to be : ), save your lips, but thanks for the thoughts

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

brain not functioning... but.. I do have Xephyr in the wings, perhaps an overlay solution could be helpful rather than going on the mat with "Awesome"

Quote:
Okay, okay, maybe I should try to lay out exactly what I'm trying to do?
you did that succinctly. appreciated.

Quote:
I'd like to SSH outbound from the Kindle to an embedded device, with the -X option so it takes care of all the Xauth forwarding.
hmm. I reacall me and Hawhill digging around in that a little ways back for the non X devices. perhaps some of that research will apply. I'll necro-it up.

Quote:
Basically I'd like to be able to use the Kindle PW as my X display. Your version of kterm-ssh doesn't support the -X option.
okay... like using... err.... x2vnc without the vnc right? to project the display .. okay I think I "get" the request

Quote:
That's why I was trying to get a real OpenSSH installation going, but it appears the usbnet installation only contains an SSH (and SFTP) server.
I kinda thought Niluje had built that? will dig

Quote:
I've got some embedded hardware here (right now a Raspberry Pi, will eventually replaced with an ARM device) that I'd like to capture an X session from.
okay... I know just about "squat" about these things but we can probably mangle a solution, with enough will and perseverance. Skill is an added bonus I don't bring... but you sound knowledgeable... so that is always good...

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a copy of the OpenSSH client installed, so I suppose I'll need that, unless someone has a better way of accomplishing the X forwarding?
Me dig here RSN and more specifically here for some general build advice and see about it. okay? or you can. you probably know a bucketload more than me about these things... most "real" developers could happily say that.

Hope that helps clear up my position on what could be brought to the party.

ANSWER: I don't know... but I'm willing to help "find out"

knc1's nod to debian was a good one. perhaps I can just tear you something out via the kindle touch I have here that extracts stuff neatly from debian. will look in the morrow

I'll have a look in Buildroot too... perhaps I already built it.

hmmm http://www.edaboard.com/thread109955.html#post481767 yeah Buildroot...

Will have a look...

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
twobob

Okay I looked in buildroot.

It is indeed there...

I'm having a REALLY quick go with a stupidly old Toolchain.. : ) just for extra compliance. (should run on all devices if I get it done)

ongoing...

EDIT: Okay I built it...
Will figure out how to export it tomorrow. or you can dig it out yourself from this lot... I THINK I bundled the right stuff... hey its 5am... : )

Enjoy

EDIT: ADDED THE ELUSIVE LIBXFONTS.so.1 that enables Xephyr to "work"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_064.png
Views:	452
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	102145  
Attached Files
File Type: zip HAD-TO-ZIP-TO-GET-ROUND-FORUM-FILESIZE.zip (16.58 MB, 320 views)
File Type: zip libXfont.so.1-DAMMIT.zip (114.4 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by twobob; 03-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
twobob

hmm... lib? why did I include that dir! lol... must be tired.

HAH whoops and doom... and a few other egggs meh.. have fun.
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
okay... like using... err.... x2vnc without the vnc right? to project the display .. okay I think I "get" the request
Yeah, sort of. You see, X11 (Xorg) runs on a kind of client/server interface. Essentially, X itself is a server. The applications (Xeyes, Midori, Xterm, etc.) are the clients. On a normal PC running Linux, Xorg runs in the background and when an application is launched (say Xterm for example) it connects to the X server via sockets. All the data about where to draw what window elements is transmitted over this local network connection.

Now, here's the cool bit, because X runs as a server, you can have applications run on a remote machine and show on your local machine through Xauth.

For example, I have Xquartz (Xorg for OS X) install on my MacBook Air, if I SSH into my Raspberry Pi with the -X flag, which tells SSH that I want to forward X Windows sessions through the SSH tunnel, and then I launch a app on the Pi from that session (Midori), it will be rendered and displayed by Xquarts on my MacBook Air, instead of the Xorg instance running on the Pi.

Make sense? Here's a good, concise overview of how X works: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/...rstanding.html

Edit: Taking a look at that stuff you zipped up.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
X11 remote desktop.

Over physically secure networking, of which USBnetworking is an example.
(You can see the entire cable and what is connected to it.)

• Start an x-server optioned to use TCP
  • Include in the x-server start-up where to put the X authority file.
  • Extract the xauth data from this and merge with it into ~/.Xauthority on the remote end.
  • Provide TCP communications between the two points
  • Your done.

In the physically secure networking case mentioned above, you can use the X11 protocal directly on the wire.
Neither SSH nor anything like NX is required.
Although the above list includes the modern X authentication through security cookies, the much older xauth can also be used in this case.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Errm - I've not yet played with the X server on the KPW/KTouch, but wasn't there some quirks with the "window manager" for bringing the windows to the right places? Like setting the Window title according to some certain specs?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Errm - I've not yet played with the X server on the KPW/KTouch, but wasn't there some quirks with the "window manager" for bringing the windows to the right places? Like setting the Window title according to some certain specs?
That was why I was suggesting Xephyr (I think I shoved it in that bundle, have to check)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
timb.us
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Over physically secure networking, of which USBnetworking is an example.
(You can see the entire cable and what is connected to it.)

• Start an x-server optioned to use TCP
  • Include in the x-server start-up where to put the X authority file.
  • Extract the xauth data from this and merge with it into ~/.Xauthority on the remote end.
  • Provide TCP communications between the two points
  • Your done.

In the physically secure networking case mentioned above, you can use the X11 protocal directly on the wire.
Neither SSH nor anything like NX is required.
Although the above list includes the modern X authentication through security cookies, the much older xauth can also be used in this case.
I realize I can do it this way, however I was looking into SSH as that would allow me to do it securely over WiFi. Though, I do suppose I can use Xauth over WiFi here at home. It's not like I'm working with anything mission critical at this point.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb.us View Post
I realize I can do it this way, however I was looking into SSH as that would allow me to do it securely over WiFi. Though, I do suppose I can use Xauth over WiFi here at home. It's not like I'm working with anything mission critical at this point.
heh. the day you need to start securing stuff in your own home is the day you need to rethink your family

lol.

and yes that's a joke
Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
timb.us
Enthusiast

Hah, no that's pretty much true I think. I've got an old Intel Core Duo iMac in the closet that I use as a home server. The Time Capsule router logs everything to the iMac's syslogd and I've got some scripts setup that will alert me (and flash the Blink1 on my MacBook Air) when a new MAC address appears on the network.

So I feel I've got a pretty good handle on my network. Good password, WPA2, I'm not really worried.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
twobob

I was like UTTERLY impressed with the blink1 - right up until I noticed they wanted $30.00 for one...

Err. No. I'll go buy a raspberry Pi thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
timb.us
Enthusiast

Yeah, they're a bit expensive. In their defense, the PCBs are made in the US and all the components are US sourced. The final assembly is even done by hand in their shop. It would be a lot more reasonable if they were more popular, economics of scale and all that.

I'm working on AppleScript integration in their OS X GUI tool, so the owner sent me a box of them to test with. I've got them on all my systems, my TomatoUSB router and my Pi. It's really slick on the Pi actually, as I use it to alert me when a compile is finished.

The other neat thing is it's 100% open, they even give you the firmware code to the Blink1, so you can reprogram it to do other things. You can turn it into an encrypted system key, you can set it up to emulate a mouse and keyboard (useful for setting up machines), hardware keylogger... Basically it can emulate any USBHID device!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
twobob

well... when I FINALLY get around to looking at OTG USB on the later devices... maybe then.. just for a laugh.

maybe..

EDIT: attached a few basic xapps like you asked for.

I am presuming you have the support libs where required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_071.png
Views:	316
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	102190  
Attached Files
File Type: zip some-x-stuff.zip (1.21 MB, 215 views)

Last edited by twobob; 03-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.