Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #151
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I totally agree. I was just wondering what might make Germany a special snowflake in some peoples' minds.
I live there. But I'm not talking of Germans' love or (dis-)respect for books. There is a fixed price and a reduced consumer tax for books in order to support the reading of the masses and the writing of bad selling but highly valued authors but in the end it resulted in expensive books which surely doesn't support the reading of the masses.

And right, there is no issue for me regarding what device to select when the last Sony breaks. I only wanted to explain why it will not be a Kindle in a thread about bullying by Amazon (or was it about Amazon being bullied?)
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #152
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
I live there. But I'm not talking of Germans' love or (dis-)respect for books. There is a fixed price and a reduced consumer tax for books in order to support the reading of the masses and the writing of bad selling but highly valued authors but in the end it resulted in expensive books which surely doesn't support the reading of the masses.
How big a market share does Amazon have in Germany? It's not like the UK, is it, where they have 90%+ of the ebook market?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #153
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Quote:
And it is not Amazon who did that -- it is the publishers.
Actually, I don't understand. What did Amazon not do?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #154
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I have heard that in the US there are non-Amazon stores which you can access for DRMed content using a Kindle. Is that right?
No, not that I am aware of. A Kindle can read non-DRMed mobis and AZW3s just fine when you sideload them, but Amazon is the only source of DRMed ones.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No, not that I am aware of. A Kindle can read non-DRMed mobis and AZW3s just fine when you sideload them, but Amazon is the only source of DRMed ones.
That's correct. There are a number of bookstores that sell non-DRM Kindle books, but only Amazon sell Kindle books with DRM. Not all the books that Amazon sell have DRM, of course - it's the choice of the publisher whether or not they do.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #156
hansl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How big a market share does Amazon have in Germany? It's not like the UK, is it, where they have 90%+ of the ebook market?
Around 45%+ but of course the biggest share of all.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #157
hansl
Zealot

Quote:
And it is not Amazon who did that -- it is the publishers.
Quote:
Actually, I don't understand. What did Amazon not do?
Quote:
That's correct. There are a number of bookstores that sell non-DRM Kindle books, but only Amazon sell Kindle books with DRM. Not all the books that Amazon sell have DRM, of course - it's the choice of the publisher whether or not they do.
So I guess eschwartz means the addition or DRM.

Last edited by hansl; 08-19-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #158
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Quote:
Doesn't Pottermore sell DRMed (watermarked) Kindle books?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #159
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't Pottermore sell DRMed (watermarked) Kindle books?
A very good point. Yes, they do indeed. Thank you for pointing that out - there is a temptation to think that DRM is only encryption, but of course that's not true: watermarking is also a form of DRM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #160
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Exactly.
And publisher that wants access to Kindle buyers can do so without going through Amazon.
And they can still have their DRM security blanket by using watermarks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #161
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Well, my T3 arrived. Red was all that was left. (I would have preferred black, but I'm OK with it.) I knew it was smaller than my 650, but not by as much as it is.

Got it on my Wi-Fi and updated the firmware (Had to replace that pesky Reader Store with Kobo.) Connected it to my Public Library via Overdrive.

I haven't read anything on it yet, but, other than the childish look of the hard buttons, I'm quite pleased. I'll put it in a drawer until my 650 dies. (I'll charge it from time to time.)

Sorry you got out of the market, Sony. I like your hardware.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #162
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I think its no surprise Sony is getting out, however sad it is
in short, there isnt much money to be made in ebooks esp when there are so many tablets and phones out there that can do it, not to mention laptops and PCs
its sad, I like the Sony ereaders but Sony (as always) had their readers a little too expensive, if they had them 10% to 20% cheaper they might have been around for longer (got more sold) but thats conjecture

I personally think that was Sonys mistake with their Vario computer brand and blu rays. They put the price a little too high and put many off
But the high yen didn't help them
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmv View Post
Hachette wants to do what's best for Hachette and brick and mortar book stores. Amazon would be perfectly happy to demolish both bookstores and publishers and become the only place in town where you can buy books (and everything else under the sun).

Hachette wants to sell both ebooks and physical books (hardcovers/tradepapberack). With a simultaneous release of the hardcover and the ebook, the price of the ebook will be relatively high. Once the (trade) paperback is out, price of the ebook will drop. I'd hate to see brick and mortar bookstores go out of business because of Amazon's domination, so I support Hachette and other publishers who want to keep competition and choices alive. Amazon is far too dominant already, it shouldn't become even more so. Cheaper ebook prices isn't everything. Look at Walmart and how that company has ruined small businesses everywhere while paying their employees next to nothing.
I'm against Hatchette because they want to go agency. That will raise prices on eBooks. Do you want your eBooks to go up in price?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #164
OverByter
OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hatchette and every other publisher is in the same boat, ebooks are cheaper to distribute and manufacture, but they are no cheaper than a hard cover when it comes to agents, editorial and publicity staff. If you don't want to pay the opening day price then just wait until it's either a back collection or a trade publication. Those of us who enjoy e-readers have to remember the people who would rather support their local b+m bookstore, even if Amazon undercuts them every time. Jeff Bezos has been quoted numerous times saying that he wants a portion of everything sold on the Internet. Selling books at a loss just to drive out the competition. As amazing as Amazon is, let's not forget that it's desire to rid itself of competition is for the long run, that's why 20 years later and they still haven't turned a profit. They can afford to lose more money than the next guy with cut throat pricing, that sounds like a bully to me.
OB
OverByter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #165
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post
Well, my T3 arrived. Red was all that was left. (I would have preferred black, but I'm OK with it.) I knew it was smaller than my 650, but not by as much as it is.
I had red then swapped for black and now I regret doing so. The red is a bit glossier and the black more matte so the black shows finger prints on the back and little rings around the buttons on my device. I don't think I have particularly oily finger either; at least on my Kindle PW2 the matte back isn't all fingerprinted up. Also the red just seems kind of more fun
radius is offline   Reply With Quote