Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hey ! duckman is back !! nice to see you, duckman. i hope you had a good vacation.
Oh I am still on vacation but I had to check in a see if the Board has been blown up!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My birthday was in July as well, so Happy Late Birthday!
Right back at ya!

Quote:
I've purchased several apps in an attempt to see if I can let go of my Palm T5.

-Trip Cubby
Not for me (I don't drive), but I'll have a look at this, as the Loved One will want something like that for his iPhone.

Quote:
- Another app that I use on my Palm for work is being developed for the iPhone and Touch, so I'll be jumping on that as soon as it's available. Another scale tipper.
...but, what, no iPint?

Quote:
I would really love some kind of database that I can design myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I myself won't be much help here. I'm effectively retired, and so most things I might look for generally are along the lines of "Ooooo, pretty colours!!!" rather than looking for efficient and constructive ways to spend my time (I've got MR for that! ).

I hope someone knows their iPod Touch/iPhone stuff and can help though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
...but, what, no iPint?
No, I don't drink but one of the guys to convinced me to buy the iTouch had that silly little beer "iBeer" app on his. I said to him, "I hope you didn't pay for that"... he did.

Quote:
Sorry, I myself won't be much help here. I'm effectively retired, and so most things I might look for generally are along the lines of "Ooooo, pretty colours!!!" rather than looking for efficient and constructive ways to spend my time (I've got MR for that! ).
on the "Ooooo, pretty colours!!!"

I think I've found a work around for my memos. I exported them as a text file. I just downloaded the Window's version of Stanza Desktop. I hope to turn those memos into a book I can use on my iTouch and my Kindle.

Quote:
I hope someone knows their iPod Touch/iPhone stuff and can help though.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks for the B-Day shout-out and the good thoughts. I'll keep everyone in the loop on my adventures.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
No, I don't drink but one of the guys to convinced me to buy the iTouch had that silly little beer "iBeer" app on his. I said to him, "I hope you didn't pay for that"... he did.
That's why I got iPint - it's free, and I'm a cheap drunk.

(Don't tell anyone, particularly the Australian authorities, but I don't drink beer unless it's of the "ginger" variety ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Oh I am still on vacation but I had to check in a see if the Board has been blown up!
as you can see, it has, several times over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
That's why I got iPint - it's free, and I'm a cheap drunk.

(Don't tell anyone, particularly the Australian authorities, but I don't drink beer unless it's of the "ginger" variety ).

Cheers,
Marc
good heavens, isn't that grounds for exile ??? you better hope they don't find out...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A Kindle and an iTouch make a wonderful mix. Congrats!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
A Kindle and an iTouch make a wonderful mix. Congrats!
Thank you kind sir!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What's a battery extender?
A battery extender is a device that plugs into some other battery powered device to allow you to run the device or charge it.

http://www.gomadic.com/brand-apple-a...cessories.html

It uses 4 AA batteries and costs $20.

When you use the wifi, it drains the battery even more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my contact and memos from my Palm onto the touch without starting from scratch. I'm also hoping for an app that will help me keep track of which jobs have paid me and which haven't. I was able to track this with a database I created on my Palm (with HanDBase). I would really love some kind of database that I can design myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know I'm talking to myself but this info may come in handy for someone else. There is an app called iClink that would do it but it costs about $40 for the app plus another $100 for the desktop counterpart and $10 a month to keep everything in sync. Not worth it to me.

I did some Googling and found a web page that instructed me on how to get all my addresses from my Palm on to the Touch with no typing on the Touch involved. It worked very well for free.

The original instructions can be found here. I was using my Vista machine so the program was called "Windows Contacts".

Quote:
1. Bring up Palm Desktop. Make sure your Palm phone is sync'ed up. Show the Address page, select all contacts (Ctrl-A), and export them with File, Export vCard... This puts all contact information into a single file as a sequence of vCards.
2. Bring up Windows Address Book. You can find this in Start, All Program, Accessories, Address Book.
3. Using Windows Explorer, drag the vCard file you created in step 1 to the Windows Address Book window. I had never used Windows Address Book, so it was empty. If yours isn't empty, you'll have to decide whether you want to merge your contacts.
4. When you drop the file, you'll get a window asking you to confirm the first contact. Press OK. Another window will come up for the second contact. Press OK until all windows are gone. It's easiest to hold down the Enter key.
5. Bring up iTunes with your iPhone plugged in. Go to your iPhone page, to the Info tab, and configure it to sync from Windows Address Book. Click Apply in the lower-right corner of the window.
6. Sync your iPhone. Verify that your contacts transferred over.
7. Tell iTunes to stop sync'ing with Windows Address Book, since you probably only wanted a one-way sync. Your contacts will be backed up anyway by iTunes, so the Address Book sync feature doesn't buy you much.
Now, I'm in search of a way to transfer my Palm calendar. I shall return if and when I find the answer.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Yes, I know I'm talking to myself but this info may come in handy for someone else. There is an app called iClink that would do it but it costs about $40 for the app plus another $100 for the desktop counterpart and $10 a month to keep everything in sync. Not worth it to me.

I did some Googling and found a web page that instructed me on how to get all my addresses from my Palm on to the Touch with no typing on the Touch involved. It worked very well for free.

The original instructions can be found here. I was using my Vista machine so the program was called "Windows Contacts".

Now, I'm in search of a way to transfer my Palm calendar. I shall return if and when I find the answer.
I dont know if you have looked at Mobile Me from apple but it should do all you are asking for.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I dont know if you have looked at Mobile Me from apple but it should do all you are asking for.

JJ
I actually called a Mac friend of mine this morning who was a Palm user and he says MobileMe doesn't work that well, it's just okay. He has the iPhone and is also missing some of the functionality of the Palm. We were both lamenting over the loss of our far superior Palm calendars.

Right now I'm trying a work around (which I would still have to do for MobileMe), I trying to get my Palm calendar into Outlook which will sync with the Touch.

A Palm emulator from StyleTap is waiting in the wings that will work on the iPhone and iTouch. It will allow me to continue to use my favorite Palm apps. There are some hurdles to overcome to get Apple to approve the app. If I can get that software, I'll be golden.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #27
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A battery extender is a device that plugs into some other battery powered device to allow you to run the device or charge it.

http://www.gomadic.com/brand-apple-a...cessories.html

It uses 4 AA batteries and costs $20.

When you use the wifi, it drains the battery even more.
I have this and, unless they've fixed it, there is a small caveat. You really can't use rechargeable batteries with the iPod touch, because they provide (1.2 times 4) 4.8V. The Touch is very fussy about its input voltage, and 4.8 is not quite enough to make it happy. If you use Alkaline batteries, it works just fine (4.5 times 4) 6V..the battery pack takes this down to standard USB 5V before passing it onto the device.

I like using lithium AAs in mine actually, they're more expensive than alkalines but they last FOREVER...and the Touch is happy as a clam with this setup.

And for more good news, they also sell a tip that will charge your Kindle using this battery pack!

Last edited by mdibella; 08-24-2008 at 02:25 PM.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to contact them before I order one and see if they say rechargeable batteries are allowed. If not, it's not going to work for me.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I finally got my Palm calendar uploaded to the Touch. What a mess and a pain in the rear. There were many software tools for older iPods but none that I could get to work with the Touch since it's not seen as an external drive in Explorer.

I had to upload my calendar to a site call AirSet. They had a desktop application that would pull the info from my Palm Calendar and then upload it to their website (all this was free). I was then able to export that calendar as a .ics file. That file would not import into the Outlook 2000 I already owned but never used.

I downloaded the free 60 day trial of Outlook 2007 plus the updated hotsync conduit for it from Palm, which it turns out does not work with Outlook 2007 despite it's name. It only works with Outlook 98, 2000, and XP(2002) per the failed sync log.

I was, luckily, able to that AirSet .ics file to import into Outlook 2007. I then connected the Touch to my laptop, up pops iTunes. I then clicked on the info tab and set it to sync the calendar with Outlook. It worked.

Of course there were many false starts but I'm happier now. And I must admit, Outlook has improved quite a bit since I last used it. I may not miss the Palm desktop software after all. I do still feel DateBk4 is a much better calendar than the one that comes from with the Touch.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I have this and, unless they've fixed it, there is a small caveat. You really can't use rechargeable batteries with the iPod touch, because they provide (1.2 times 4) 4.8V. The Touch is very fussy about its input voltage, and 4.8 is not quite enough to make it happy. If you use Alkaline batteries, it works just fine (4.5 times 4) 6V..the battery pack takes this down to standard USB 5V before passing it onto the device.

I like using lithium AAs in mine actually, they're more expensive than alkalines but they last FOREVER...and the Touch is happy as a clam with this setup.

And for more good news, they also sell a tip that will charge your Kindle using this battery pack!
Well, according to their site....
http://www.gomadic.com/apple-ipod-to...-extender.html

Quote:
• The ONLY product that will work with alkaline or rechargeable batteries.

Does this work with rechargeable batteries?
Solution Yes it does. Our battery charger was specifically designed to work with either alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Please note, however, that all rechargeable batteries are not created equal. In fact, in an attempt to pack more “power” in rechargeable batteries, some vendors are producing AA batteries that exceed the size specifications of the AA standard. If you are running into this type of situation, please contact us and let us know as we have recently come out with a one-off solution which we can send you which will resolve the size issue.

Tags
duck!