Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Funny mistake in pro-published book

Found this in a pro-published book I'm reading. The editor really should have caught it, but hands up anyone who doesn't do things like this and then forget?

"... I’ll let Glenda know what’s going on too, so she can head Jim off at the pass.” Beat. “Um…I guess that’s it. I’ll be here till two I guess if you want to call me. See ya.”
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
you mean the 'beat' thing?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what's wrong with this? I don't see the error.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
you mean the 'beat' thing?
Yes. He probably couldn't think of one at the time and meant to go back to it later but forgot.

http://melaniecard.com/for-writers/d...riptive-beats/
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I honestly wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't explained it .
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Yes. He probably couldn't think of one at the time and meant to go back to it later but forgot.

That is why I use "TODO:" tags. Easy to search for. But that comes out of my software dev background
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I automatically corrected it in my mind, and put quotes around it so that he just made a side remark "Beat." meaning he was tired. i.e. "Beat." meaning "I am beat."

My own problems generally come about when I make a change, and don't totally erase the old sentence while adding the new one.
Or I mean to change the sentence, but neglect to remove one of the old words that is now meaningless or (usually) redundant.

I hate it when I do that.

That is when it is good to have a sharp eyed competent editor nearby.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post

It could have been deliberate. I read a trad-pub book a while ago (by Raymond Khoury called The Templar Salvation - a sort of action adventure thing) in which the author used the phrase "for a beat" quite regularly (I am guessing it was supposed to be in place of "for a moment" but presumably he thought "beat" was better for action scenes). I found it distracting, perhaps because it's not something I'd seen much of before. He also used phrases like "for a nanosecond" and similar that seemed inappropriate to my eye.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I read that as "he waited a beat before continuing", though I did think it was odd to shorten it to such an extreme. I could go either way on whether or not it was deliberate.

Shouldn't "till" be 'til, since it's short for "until"? I've never seen it spelled with two L's. (I'm Canadian, though, so perhaps it's some newfangled U.S. spelling I need to learn. )
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Shouldn't "till" be 'til, since it's short for "until"? I've never seen it spelled with two L's. (I'm Canadian, though, so perhaps it's some newfangled U.S. spelling I need to learn. )

Nope.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/till

Till is a correctly spelled word. I have had this discussion with editors and proofreaders galore.

till, until, 'til are all valid.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
It's rather common in webcomics. It's where the term "beat panel" comes from. But for a novel, it is rather unusual. I most commonly see it in roleplaying or script-type formats.

I however would not mind. I am so used to seeing it on tvtropes that it doesn't really register anymore.
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Nope.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/till

Till is a correctly spelled word. I have had this discussion with editors and proofreaders galore.

till, until, 'til are all valid.

I asked my wife. (ok, I am a wuss)

She says "till" is wrong.
until and ( 'til or til -bordering on optional)

I wouldn't bet against her.

Now of course that is not to say that till is not common, but the Human English Language Compendium has spoken. "The staff of knowledge slams hard onto the marble floor! Mortals scuttle away into the corners and under the tables and hide."

"Thus it was spake, and of course was."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
LOL, Frahse.

I'll concede, Vincent, that some say "till" is correct. It really bugs me, though, so I'll stick to 'til.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
LOL, Frahse.

I'll concede, Vincent, that some say "till" is correct. It really bugs me, though, so I'll stick to 'til.
According to dictionary.com:

Quote:
Usage note:
Till and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till.
(Emphasis mine)

So it's rather more than "some say" . Look up "till" in your own dictionary and see what it says.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard

Exactly Harry. Both Frahse and Suzanna are in denial.