Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
tanzer21
tanzer21 began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Reader
Any way to change left-right margin spacing?

I have a few epubs that are flush to each side of the nook but there are some epubs that I have that give quite a bit of margin space on the left and right which reduces the amount of word on any given page. Been trying to figure out how to change that but am stumped. I've used calibre's @page css with no luck and I've edited the stylesheet.css in Sigil but when I do that and change the margins it messes up the whole epub format. Any ideas on this?
tanzer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Have you tried converting ePub to ePub with Calibre and changing the margin settings in the "Page Setup"?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
tanzer21

I did, it made it just a slightly better when I turned everything to 0 but not quite like some of the other ones that naturally get rid of the large margins.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
I've had all kinds of trouble with margins on the Kindle, but not (yet) on the Nook.

Have you tried "body { margin: 0px; }" or deleting @page tags altogether? How about manually editing the CSS outside of Calibre and Sigil?
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
tanzer21

Tried all those, no dice I've scoured every forum from here til tuesday and have yet to find out how to get it to work.
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
tanzer21

I've tried every css commandline I can think of...I even thought it might have been a padding issue but haven't been able to get that to work either. Any lists or ways of command lines that can be used via Sigil or Calibre?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
tanzer21

Ok, I've figured it out, it's simple to an extent but I'm going to post it here in case anyone else is curious or has this problem:

1. Open your epub in Calibre and, without changing any settings, convert it to either .lit or .mobi format (I found those to be the most accurate)

2. Take the .mobi or .lit you've created from the calibre library and copy it somewhere else and then delete the book from your calibre library list.

3. Now add the recently converted .mobi or .lit and have it convert to .epub format setting your parameters the way you want and after conversion, voila! Epub with no limited margins!

Maybe it's because the margins were fixed in the epub and the conversion to another format negates it but, it seems to work perfectly for me now. Thanks to all for the suggestions
Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
SDRNYC
SDRNYC began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE V3
Pages (MAC)/Kindle/Epub to mobi/Calibre

Hey Guys,

I have found issues with converting PDF to MOBI (using Calibre). Pages gives you the option to convert to EPUB. Sometimes the conversion from PDF to Mobi doesn't give good results.

1. COPY Text from PDF.
2. Paste into Pages.
3. Makes adjustments.
4. Export to EPUB
5. Convert using Calibre.

This usually works, and I have found it very helpful for converting files.
SDRNYC is offline   Reply With Quote