Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
DevilsDue
DevilsDue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Issues with PDFs and dropped pages

Hello,

I have been trying like mad to convert a 148 page comic book that we have the rights to. I have tried the Kindle Plug in for InDesign, no luck. Calibre looks amazing! My issue is this, out of 148 pages, I may get back 112 in .mobi file for sale on Amazon. Obviously, I can't sell that. Does anyone know of a way to fix this glitch? Can I place the missing page in once the .mobi file is created?

I have checked that everything is in place before I import into Calibre and before I export out as a .mobi file. This is driving our design staff crazy!! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
DevilsDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use any one of a number of freely available tools to extract the images from the PDF file. Zip them up into a zip file. Rename the zip file to have .cbz extension. Then import and convert that in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
DevilsDue

Unhappy Still lost...

Hi Govid,

I appreciate the tips but now I am losing color and pages are now being added from from 148 to 308...

First, out of InDesign, I output the files as jpgs in numeric order. I then zipped that and renamed the extension to .cbz. Imported into Calibre and exported to a .mobi file. Result was color loss and some files were lo-res.

I then used File Juicer to extract from the PDF instead, same result. I am sure this is an easy fix, maybe I am not selecting correct settings within Calibre. I really like this software. The images are very crisp, and I feel like this is almost there.

If you have any further suggestions that would be great! I hate to be a pain but there is just not much out there (that I can find) that is any help. Maybe I am not asking the right questions.

I do not have any problems sending you a sample and maybe that would help?

Again, thanks for your time. It is much appreciated...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
under comic input there is an option to preserve color, use it. But remember that the Kindle doesn't display color.

The resolution of the images in the MOBI file will depend on what output profile you have chosen.

I'm not sure what you mean by pages being lost. WHatever images are in the input CBZ will be in the output MOBI. (Just make sure the images are all in the same directory in the CBZ)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
DevilsDue

Unhappy Thanks for the help...

Unfortunately, for some reason no matter what way the files are imported into Calibre, the order of the pages just get jumbled up in the final output. These are all just jpg images, named numerically in order. So I don't know if the files are just to big...

I appreciate the time and help, but deadlines dictate I try another avenue. If you have any other suggestions, I will check here later. Otherwise, thank you again Kovid.
Advert