Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #226
hari_
hari_ began at the beginning.

Device: Pw
Sorry for my english

I have followed instructions on the thread, everything seams working i get the "I have no name" shell
i run:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst install
dpkg --configure -a

but whenever i try to run apt-get update or i try to install anything whit apt it will hangs "Reading package list" and shell and kindle stop responding.

dmesg shows:
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.
INFO: task pdflush:243 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Someone has same problem or knows how to fix this?
hari_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #227
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes -
You will have to do that step with the loop file mounted on a non-Kindle machine.
(or solder in more ram to your kindle )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #228
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_ View Post
Sorry for my english

I have followed instructions on the thread, everything seams working i get the "I have no name" shell
i run:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst install
dpkg --configure -a

but whenever i try to run apt-get update or i try to install anything whit apt it will hangs "Reading package list" and shell and kindle stop responding.

dmesg shows:
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.
INFO: task pdflush:243 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Someone has same problem or knows how to fix this?
By any chance, did you mount the image ad /mnt/us/debian.ext3?
You should not use /mnt/us. It has some issues with permissions. You should use:

Code:
/mnt/base-us/debian.ext3
. base-us is the just usb drive with different permissions.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #229
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/debian.sh
[*] Mounting Rootfs...
[*] Preparing Filesystem...
[*] Preparing Network Connections...
[*] Starting Shell...

FATAL: kernel too old
[*]Unmounting Rootfs...

Err... did debian bump the minimum kernel version?

Where do I go the check?

Thanks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #230
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They would not have bump'd the minimum kernel version in the very old archived release that we have been using.

So my guess is that the sources where pulled from a newer repository than the old archived one.

- - - - -

I could get smart-ass and ask if you are trying to run Debian/ARM or Debian/S390 - but it is still a little early for that one

Last edited by knc1; 08-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #231
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, what I am doing is for the kual-system thing mike.

Trying to put together a TINY seed debian to allow us to *background* chroot - thus enabling the newer libc and libm dependant apps to have access to "newer" versions of this things.

In the end I am hoping to dynamically run this from a squash or cram fs.
(Yup just re-using your ideas in a different context as usual)

Could be a fools errand. (thus I chose to walk the road alone until I was sure it wasn't)

I'm retrying with wheezy now. see if I can get something a bit more "stable" going. Also SID is a huge (250mb) pull lately. wheezy can be trimmed I am hoping to something a bit more sensible with love and sticky tape

I would dearly love to know where to track the version bumps though.

If I had to guess: the patches tracker for debian. probably the libc stuff (but as you know I am no expert)

: )
Old 08-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #232
knc1
Going Viral

One of the things that needs to be done is that use of an additional CFLAGS option passed to the cross-compiler when building things:
--with-sysroot=/mnt/us/extensions/system

I haven't (yet) played with the various combinations of options for moving the location requirements out of the standard place, it may be more complex than just that.

But when you do a readelf on a binary built that way, it should report:
requesting /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/ld-linux.so.xx interpreter

And of course, that loader (interpreter) should be searching /mnt/us/extension/system/lib and /mnt/us/extensions/system/usr/lib on its own, **without** any fooling around with 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'

And since the loader is built as part of building the C library, **everything** has to be re-built, starting with the C library.

Hello, BuildRoot.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #233
twobob

I was hoping to use debian crush (or similar) but they binned it.
so... I'll see if can trim down wheezy with: https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian

Worst case scenario I will put together something with Debian Baked maybe.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #234
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
One of the things that needs to be done is that use of an additional CFLAGS option passed to the cross-compiler when building things:
--with-sysroot=/mnt/us/extensions/system

I haven't (yet) played with the various combinations of options for moving the location requirements out of the standard place, it may be more complex than just that.

But when you do a readelf on a binary built that way, it should report:
requesting /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/ld-linux.so.xx interpreter

And of course, that loader (interpreter) should be searching /mnt/us/extension/system/lib and /mnt/us/extensions/system/usr/lib on its own, **without** any fooling around with 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'

And since the loader is built as part of building the C library, **everything** has to be re-built, starting with the C library.

Hello, BuildRoot.
Which, catch-22 style, brings us back to your original question - -

"What is the most recent version of eglibc that can be built with the kernel version we have to run?"

PS: Keep in mind, the **AMAZON** kernel headers - not the mainstream kernel headers.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #235
twobob

yup. spot on mate.

Would be nice to know where that kind of data is kept.

I googled the ass off of it and came up empty for SID.
I'm hoping wheezy is a bit more stable. Soon find out.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #236
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: the kernel requirement is the libc's job (excluding fun stuff like an init system/udev/systemd for a "real" system). If you're building the libc yourself, you're the one choosing the min kernel version. No idea what Debian does, but for an nptl libc the default is still 2.6.16 IIRC.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #237
knc1
Going Viral

Slaps 50 gallons of cold water on face . . . .

Where to find the information:
Look in the C library ./configuration file - there will be a test for the minimum kernel header version required.
It will be using an m4 macro, but should be easy to spot.

The minimum version was bumped to 2.6.20.x over time for some feature(s) - I don't recall what, or if we need those features.
(I will not swear to that, haven't had my head in the building of the C library for a long time.)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #238
knc1
Going Viral

--enable-kernel=VERSION compile for compatibility with kernel not older than VERSION

Code:
if test "$minimum_kernel" = yes || test "$minimum_kernel" = no; then
  # Better nothing than this.
  minimum_kernel=""
else
  if test "$minimum_kernel" = current; then
    minimum_kernel=`uname -r 2>/dev/null` || minimum_kernel=
  fi
fi
And there we find a cross-compile bomb in the current eglibc configuration file.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #239
twobob

Well. I tried wheezy and that still works fine.
So it's got to be a recent SID change.

Ho hum. Time to get out the hack and slash tools. see about minifying wheezy.

Thanks lads
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #240
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is "fix horrible menus" a major or a minor thing to do?
OR
Just unknown at this time?
Fixable.

The new "fronter" system I'm fiddling with copes nicely with gtkatlantic.

probably shove that in as a demo.

Tags
debian, kindle, paperwhite