Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #36691
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There is another program called 'Zoner Photo Studio' that can do quite a lot of manipulation, but really doesn't give you the control that 'Gimp' will give. But it's true that the learning curve is long and steep with any good photo editing program. The easier the program, the fewer the controls/more pushbutton corrections without being able adjust them. Take the time to learn 'Gimp,' a little at a time. Start with just;
1.Levels
2. Contrast
3. Vibrancy
Then do your image corrections with the eraser, clone tool, etc., to get rid of power lines, garbage on the street, dust spots on the lens, etc. Adjust the horizon so it's level, and crop the photo.
4. Sharpen and remove noise.
Once you're familiar with it, all of this will take about 4-5 minutes to correct a photo.

Stitchawl
And you know what the worst thing is: 14 years ago, before I studied English & Education I did a year in college studying "Multi Media Design" (I quit after the first year) and I had courses in photography and Photoshop. I won't say I can't remember a thing, but it's only the basics of basic I can still remember.

I'm now waiting for the water to boil to make tea so I can go to bed and watch "Dr. Who: An Adventure in Time and Space", a dramatization of how Dr. Who started which was aired on the BBC last night. I'm also very excited for tomorrow's 50 year anniversary episode.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #36692
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The idea of 'retirement classes' is fantastic! There really needs to be some purpose in life, especially after 20-30 years of being productive. I've seen far too many retired people here wandering aimlessly, wondering 'is this what it's all about?' All too many of them wind up as what is called the 'typical Chiang Mai ex-pat,' sitting in the bar at 10:30 in the morning, staring into their first beer of the day, falling asleep by noon, only to wake up back at the bar by 5pm wondering which bar girl they are going to chat up and pay for this time! They tend to die off rather quickly, either of boredom, poor health or by their own hand.

Between plans for being constructive and productive, financial planning, emotional counseling for no longer being 'needed' or being the 'Big Wheel,' plans for keeping out of your spouse's hair, etc., etc., suddenly having an extra 40-50 hours a week to fill can be daunting!

On the other hand, sometimes I think I should go back to work... just so I can get some rest!

Stitchawl
The worst thing about the class was being informed of all the missed opportunities for saving the government offers. Sure, we'd all heard of the Thrift Savings Plan, but this fellow really explained and sold it. Unfortunately, he did so 30 years too late for us. If I'd had this class at the beginning of my career, I'd be a rich man now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #36693
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
He also explained why giving the wife the full survivorship benefits was a sucker's package. It takes 9% of your annuity. Sure, she gets 55% of my retirement if I die, but if I reduced that amount to the minimum, I could buy an insurance policy with the savings that would pay her that much many times over. But I can't go that route either. It would need her approval, and since that isn't the way her parents did things, it's a non-starter.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #36694
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Thrift Savings Plan?

We are maxing out 401k's, have additional savings, and are maxing out the LMs college fund.

Peppermint Mocha. So yummy
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #36695
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Sounds as if they are focusing on the financial side of retirement, but as you said, much of it is well past its sell-by date, or not feasible for other reasons. Being retired (sort of) myself for the past 5 years, and living in an area where I am surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of retired people from all over the world, being a people watcher (as most photographers are,) I've been able to see a remarkable pattern evolve. Very distinct life-styles both positive and negative. And unfortunately, the majority seem to fall into the negative style even though there is plenty of financial stability for them. They are aimless, dreamless, empty people, basically unhappy with their lives. It's sad to see this, especially in a local as rich as this one, with so much that can be done to make life worthwhile. But it all take getting out and 'doing.' And these unhappy souls never get further out than the corner pub. They mistake being 'retired' for being 'unproductive.' Sort of the same way young people mistake thinking 'freedom' means 'no responsibilities.' You have to work to make retirement enjoyable. Maybe not a 9-5 office job, but humans need to feel that they are doing something constructive, bringing something to the table. I have a retired friend who is busy from 8 in the morning until late afternoon every day, basically building widgets... This week he's working on a hydrogen gas production device he saw on YouTube. Last week he made a 'Fire Piston.' Next week he'll probably re-invent the wheel. The retired people I know who keep busy are the happy ones. The ones who do nothing wind up in the bars all day...
Take 6 months or a year off to do nothing after you retire. Then get yourself motivated to be productive again. Learn to crochet. Practice yoga. Go back to school for Doctorate. There is are plenty of interesting things to see and do!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #36696
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Watching Doctor Who.

Don't disturb me!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #36697
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wondering what I should be doing right now ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #36698
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Wondering what I should be doing right now ...
Same here. It's after 3AM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #36699
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Same here. It's after 3AM.
Is that an ereader clutched in your 'paw'? *hint* *hint*
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #36700
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Is that an ereader clutched in your 'paw'? *hint* *hint*
It was too early for that, I wasn't quite awake for that yet, haha. So I listened to some music instead.

Now I'm just looking out the window, waiting for the snow to start.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #36701
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've heard the news that the snow has already arrived there and causing problems. Today the sun is out, although very cold, and I am slowly getting ready to go out to my parents to rake leaves and run errands.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #36702
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Just back from my company's Family Christmas Party. Had a great time at Medieval Times! Decent food, great seats, amazing horses and a Knight kept winking at one of my girls. Wouldn't you know it - our Knight won the entire tournament and chose as his "Queen of Love and Beauty" my yougest daughter. She got a sash and a tiara and a special picture taken. Talk about thrilling! Her sister was so happy for her.

What are the little princesses doing now you ask? They are downstairs building morningstars, lances and shields of course.

Such daintiness.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #36703
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
What are the little princesses doing now you ask? They are downstairs building morningstars, lances and shields of course.
And are they working to arm their knights, or planning to use them themselves?

pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #36704
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
And are they working to arm their knights, or planning to use them themselves?

Well they are discussing the pros and cons of besieging castles, catapult ranges and have taken the dog prisoner. I'm thinking they will be fighting for themselves.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #36705
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
Well they are discussing the pros and cons of besieging castles, catapult ranges and have taken the dog prisoner. I'm thinking they will be fighting for themselves.
Chicken pulls up drawbridge, lowers the portcullis, heats the vats of boiling oil, and prepares the roost for imminent attack by unnatural hungry children!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?