Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
sowzeli
sowzeli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Changing my current reading book without using touchscreen?

Hi.

My voyage was in my back pocket, I sat on it, The screen is broken.

It works fine, I can read, PagePress buttons works fine.

But I'm stuck in the current book, I can't change it to another book because touch screen doesn't work.

I wanted to ask there is a way to change to current reading book by editing voyage configuration file, or maybe by jailbreaking it. I don't know. Just a way to change the book without using touch screen.

sowzeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Although it's been a while since I played with that, I seem to recall being able to ask appmgr (or whatever it's actually called) to open the reader booklet on a specific book via CLI.

You're still fairly screwed by the fact that the JB process will always require touch input, so, unless you happen to already have USBNet installed and enabled at boot, you're probably faced with a shiny and cracked paper weight.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-30-2019 at 12:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
sowzeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Although it's been a while since I played with that, I seem to recall being apple to ask appmgr (or whatever it's actually called) to open the reader booklet on a specific book via CLI.

You're still fairly screwed by the fact that the JB process will always require touch input, so, unless you happen to already have USBNet installed and enabled at boot, you're probably faced with a shiny and cracked paper weight.
Oh crap. The only option to change the display then. Or read the same book 1000 times lol. I'm a good book actually lol
Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
tytan15
tytan15 began at the beginning.

What about substitution of book file via usb?
tytan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
If you're device is jailbreaked, you can send via ssh a command like this:
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.reader/mnt/us/documents/YourBook.azw3
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytan15 View Post
What about substitution of book file via usb?
Note that it has to have the same file name as the old book.

But @sowzeli, I've seen some people (local shops) successfully repairing touchscreens without actually replacing the glass. It will still have the cracks, but the touchscreen itself will work. Perhaps you might want to Google that or ask your local phone repair shop if they provide that service?
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
sowzeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post

But @sowzeli, I've seen some people (local shops) successfully repairing touchscreens without actually replacing the glass. It will still have the cracks, but the touchscreen itself will work. Perhaps you might want to Google that or ask your local phone repair shop if they provide that service?
I didn't know it's possible, I might give it a shot myself lol because it is hard to find a local shop to buy a brand new one, let alone a repair guy!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post

The Kindles here are all e-ink, not LCD.
The original post reports that "I sat on the device. The screen is broken." Which seems to say that the e-ink screen is broken.

The next line reports that the touchscreen is broken (not the e-ink screen).
On some models, the touchscreen was (is?) separate from the e-ink screen.
But I am pretty sure your Voyage is an "integrated" touchscreen/e-ink screen.
See: https://www.ifixit.com/News/kindle-voyage where it describes a "tough glass and a fused display".
And see: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Kind...Teardown/32278 step 15, last right hand bullet.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, kindle, voyage