Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
harrys
harrys began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
charging

Can I use the AC to usb charger that I use for my pda to charge the prs600?
harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Most probably it won't work. It seems that the PRS600 only charges over the USB if there is an active connection to a computer.
If you are looking for a cheap charger then search for PSP charger or for a USB to PSP:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72274
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I tried my USB phone charger and that definitely didn't work. You have to plug into an active computer or use a dedicated charger. I purchased mine from ebay for a lot less than Sony want for theirs.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
It depends on the specs of the charger. If it's the same as the PDA then yes. Check the voltage and amps that it puts out.
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
noname2009
noname2009 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600

I have a Samsung digital picture frame that has a USB port. Since it can be used to transfer photos to the frame, I was thinking maybe I can use it to charge my Sony reader. I tried it the night before. It worked.
noname2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

you can try it. some do. some don't. it depends on if the data lines have power (making the 600 think it's hooked up to a computer) or not. standard usb spec only requires power on pin 1, and ground on pin 4, allowing you to charge devices. but some devices test for power on pins 2 and 3 as well (well a connection) meaning chargers that are only supplying power on 1 & 4 won't work. the 600 is unfortunately one of these devices. some chargers also supply power on 2 & 3 (or short them out) tricking these fickle gadgets.

you won't harm your 600 by plugging it into a usb charger to see if it works, but watch the screen, if it doesn't go into charge mode you'll just drain your battery away instead.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
angel2762
angel2762
angel2762 began at the beginning.

I use a universal USB charger to charge most of my devices, but it needs to be of a good quality and give a reasonable output. Some compleax devices need alot of juice to even start charging. I found this one is very good and gives out 5v 1000mA
http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/accessory_1110.html
angel2762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
USB chargers won't work for Reader, regardless of the current.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel2762 View Post
I use a universal USB charger to charge most of my devices, but it needs to be of a good quality and give a reasonable output. Some compleax devices need alot of juice to even start charging. I found this one is very good and gives out 5v 1000mA
http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/accessory_1110.html
And are you saying that it works with the Sony Reader? I would be astonished if it did.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Angel, it is not a question of amperage but rather some sort of handshaking required on the USB line of Sony e-readers. Without that handshake, or whatever it is, the Sony will ignore incoming power on the USB port.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Angel, it is not a question of amperage but rather some sort of handshaking required on the USB line of Sony e-readers. Without that handshake, or whatever it is, the Sony will ignore incoming power on the USB port.
not at all true. i use a usb cable with a powerpack charger and it works just fine. it isn't that a handshake is needed but power on the data lines.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
PSP charger will work and can be had for $1.99 on the bay and allow you to read at the same time. I have found that synching will charge me back up really quick fwiw. ymmv.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, any PSP charger will work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote