Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
My SmartQ 7 Story and Initial Impressions (warning - pictures)

After a long search for the perfect device to read on, I think I have finally scored close to the exact device I’ve been looking for. I’ve been reading on ebook devices since around 2001. Back then, I used an RCA REB-1100 eBook Reader. Since then, I’ve gone through many devices, all of them cherished in their own way, to read books on. I have owned the eBookwise-1150, Nokia N770 Internet Tablet, DT-375 Tablet PC, HP iPAQ Hx4700, and finally a Sony PRS-505 eInk Reader. I was very hesitant to step into the eInk market, because I actually read mostly in very low light situations and need a backlit device. I tried the wedge light for the Sony and LED lights, but they just didn’t light up the device as good as an LCD backlit device would. I wasn’t too enamored of my Sony to be quite frank. I missed my internet capability on the Nokia and DT-375. I liked how my Nokia could do a lot of different things, from email to remoting into my PC. I realized I wanted more than just an ebook reader, and that I didn’t want another eInk device at all.

I started my search with Tablet PCs because my DT-375 Tablet PC was about the form factor I wanted. It was just a little too big and heavy to read comfortably with. Plus, it had many limitations due to a very old operating system (WinCE 4.2 I think) and old web browser technology. I was also charging it all the time! I quickly realized the Tablet PC market wasn’t really what I was looking for due to size and price of the units. I moved to UMPC (Ultra-mobile PC) and MID (Mobile Internet Device) devices. These had very good screen sizes, but most of them weren’t the form factor I was looking for. I wanted a smaller tablet. Also, most of these were pricey and did far more than I needed them to do. I realized, I didn’t want a built-in keyboard either. I moved to Personal Media Players (PMPs) 5” or larger. I found these had some gorgeous screens and played music or video quite nicely, but as eBook devices they were quite limited (most only support TXT files).

I stumbled on a story about the SmartQ 5 MID on http://www.umpcportal.com. It was basically a lot like my Nokia N770, but with a slightly bigger screen. It wasn’t really what I wanted to be honest, because I didn’t think the screen was large enough and much of a difference from my Nokia. Days later, I saw an article on the same site about the SmartQ 7. The first thing I noticed off the bat was the device looked much more like a tablet than the SmartQ 5 did. It had a sleek form factor and a very nice battery capacity. The screen was the perfect size for the usage I had in mind. Not only that, but it would run a version of Linux and be hackable to run Mer. The device even came with a version of FBReader! It was basically my Nokia but in the size I always wanted. I did some research and quickly discovered there was only one place to order the device at the time.

I was very hesitant to order the device without knowing more. First of all, the only supplier didn’t have a very impressive web site. I also didn’t see anything about PayPal on their site and I knew it would be coming from China and was worried about buyer security. I learned that Chippy, one of our forum members, and also a reviewer over at UMPCPortal.com, was holding a live video unboxing session for the device. I quickly showed up, and to my disappointment he had already gone over the SmartQ 7 and was actually discussing a UMPC. I could see the SmartQ 7 sitting to the side and when he finished talking about the UMPC I quickly asked a few ebook reading related questions. Chippy seemed as fascinated as me by the device and realized its potential as an ebook reader very quickly. He picked up the SmartQ 7 and began testing different things with the device based on our questions. Afterward, he decided to make a video on just the ebook capability the device offered. He had ordered the device from the same supplier I was looking to order from and he had a good experience. I decided to take the risk and purchased one for myself that very day. I’m glad I took the risk.

I ordered it from a company in China called Eletroworld (http://www.eletroworld.cn/). I sent an email and they quickly responded saying they had some in stock. I also received an official quote and was told they would accept Paypal for a small fee. I went ahead and sent them payment and they again responded quickly with order information and let me know when they would ship the item. I must say that I have been very impressed with Eletroworld’s service. They even send me email updates when they learn more about the device. I’ve since found out that the device will support other versions of Linux, will eventually run WinCE 6.0 and more.

The device arrived today and was packed well. After opening the packaging, everything that was supposed to be in the box was there. The device turned on and was about 75-80% charged. One thing I think folks should know is that there is no complete English version of the stock operating system. If your order is slightly delayed, my guess is that Eletroworld is spending time with each device to convert it to English (or the language you requested if they have it). This isn’t a 100% English version, as you will quickly discover, but it isn’t hard to decipher the parts that aren’t in English. My guess is that most users will replace the default OS with an upgrade or completely new OS (like Mer or WinCE) at some time during their ownership. The bottom line, is that it works just fine as is if you don’t want think you can update the OS at a later date. I had to figure out how to set the time and date, which was the hardest piece of the current OS that hasn’t been translated.

The device is just plain cool. It’s not heavy, and the quality seems quite good. I didn’t feel any flexing in the plastic and the 32GB SD card I ordered from eBay works just fine. I’m moving some of my music and eBooks over to it as I write this. Make sure you insert the SD card with the label face down. The plastic cover over the SD card doesn’t fit snug, but it stays in place just fine. I ordered a case for it as well and I’ll post links to the auctions for the SD card and case for folks interested in what I purchased.

The buttons on the device remind me of the cheaper PSP (Playstation Portable) button replacements you can get off eBay. They do the job just fine, but they are just cheap plastic. I also don’t like the buttons along the top of the device, because I find myself hitting them by accident sometimes. The device comes with a stand on the back, as I’m sure some of you have seen in pictures. The stand is very thin, some would call it flimsy, so be very careful with it. Other than these faults, and the Chinese parts of the OS, I am really happy with what I’ve seen so far. The stylus feels cheap and I don't like how it feels on the screen. I’ll be doing a detailed review of the device, battery life, stock OS, and applications in about a week. In a separate post, I’ll be detailing how any customizations I’ve done to the device are working out (remoting, Mer, and more). Even with the above issues, I'm still fascinated with this thing. For some reason, my dog, Bear, decided she liked it as much as me! (kidding)

One last thing I would like to mention and that is if you are looking for a device that has more features than say a Nokia N770/800/810, then this isn’t the device for you. It isn’t a full-fledged UMPC. It is slightly faster for web browsing than my Nokia N770 is. It is not a laptop replacement. What is it? Well I’ll let you know in my full review.

32GB SD Card on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

7" Case on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

Regards,
Cold
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm looking forward to reading what you think of the WinCE port.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Alslayer
Alslayer began at the beginning.

Great review. I can't wait to hear from everyone who gets one.
Alslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Jim-Beam
Jim-Beam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Congrats Cold on your new device, and looking forward to reading your review.
Jim-Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Sounds great, so far. Exactly what it sounded like in Chippy's reviews: a light-weight MID with the perfect E-reader form factor! I'll be watching for the OS replacement updates!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I love the picture of Bear. She looks identical to my dog, Sammi
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Great review. You know your search for a device sounds similar to mine. I've been looking forever for something like this. Looking through umpcs, netbooks, tablet pcs and the photo frames. There was always some deal breaker for me, most have terrible battery life, too expensive for what I want it for, either way too many features I just didn't need or too restrictive (photo frames), too heavy. Smartq 7 seems to be just what I have been after. Can't wait for mine!

Last edited by bjkel; 06-06-2009 at 10:50 PM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Very nice review. I always liked well written review with good pictures better than video review

Looking forward to see how well the Q7 does with complex PDF and with other OS.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The stylus feels cheap and I don't like how it feels on the screen.
You should look for a pen/stylus combo. I have some and they are great and far more usable than the small stylus that usually come standard nowadays.

I used to shop here, but while there are still some nice deal they seems to have increased their price :
http://www.stylisource.com/pda-stylu...s-specials.asp
I guess you can find them on ebay too
Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
You should look for a pen/stylus combo. I have some and they are great and far more usable than the small stylus that usually come standard nowadays.

I used to shop here, but while there are still some nice deal they seems to have increased their price :
I guess you can find them on ebay too

Another site for a sylus is http://www.styluscentral.com/

I have bought from them in the past and have had a good experience. They also sell replacements and pen type styli

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Actually, you can get good pen-stylus combos from Office Max or Amazon for a few bucks. The cheapest I've ever gotten one was $4, the most I've ever spent was $8. Avery, Papermate and Pilot all make 2x or 3x combos. Let's see ... $7 to $10 on Amazon for those three ... Gouging, I tell you gouging, why I remember when you could get round steak for $0.79/lb! ... uh, never mind.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Quote:
Another site for a sylus is http://www.styluscentral.com/
It's the same website. But before the prices were a lot better, with nice metal pen-stylus combos for 4 or 5$, and plastic one at 1$.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
It's the same website. But before the prices were a lot better, with nice metal pen-stylus combos for 4 or 5$, and plastic one at 1$.
Sorry about that. I didn't know they had a different URL for the same site.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lcd ebook, smartq, smartq 7