Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
runningwithbulls
runningwithbulls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WiFi
Is this possible: Auto-add book/magazine then auto e-mail to device?

Hi there,

I read scientific journals with my new Kindle Fire (I loved my e-ink Kindle, but pdfs were a real PITA). I have Calibre running on my home server. All works perfectly.

Is the following possible:

1. Add pdf to Calibre via auto-add directory.
2. Once file with name format "ACM - Communications MONTHYEAR.pdf" is added to the library, it is automatically e-mailed to my Kindle.

Or some version of this process. I have looked around the preferences for the "automatice adding" and "The add process", but couldn't find anything I could use.

The only way to add them is either manually e-mail the pdf (or converted e-book if chosen) to the device, or download it to my Kindle (which is not always possible).

Any help appreciated.

thanks
runningwithbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Automatic emailing only happens with periodicals downloaded by the calibre news system. Depending on how comfortable you are with scripting, you can setup the automatic emailing on your server yourself, or you can write a plugin in calibre that will do that for you, but there si no out of the box way to do it.

The calibre-smtp command can be used in your script to send email. calibre-smtp -h for details.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
runningwithbulls

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Automatic emailing only happens with periodicals downloaded by the calibre news system. Depending on how comfortable you are with scripting, you can setup the automatic emailing on your server yourself, or you can write a plugin in calibre that will do that for you, but there si no out of the box way to do it.

The calibre-smtp command can be used in your script to send email. calibre-smtp -h for details.
Hi Kovid,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the answer might be a plugin However I wouldn't say my coding skills are sufficient enough to create one.

Can you give any suggestions on how to approach a script (specifically for this)? My perl and bash shell skills may stretch as far as this, but I could do with some help.

Any suggestions welcome.

And thanks for a great application. Every release gets better and better.

I am not familiar with creating scripts for Calibre.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read the command line interface section of calibre user manual, you should be able to cook up a script using

calibredb and calibre-smtp

to detect when a file has been added to the database and email it. It would be a bash or perl script, not a calibre script
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
runningwithbulls

One more thing Kovid:

Is there a possibility "automatic emailing" could be extended to other files? Ie. is it on/could it be on the development schedule?

thanks
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It isn't something I'm interested in personally, patches welcome