Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Assuming we can find it!

Sure, someone found the original one for the Kindle, but Amazon withdrew it and refiled: no one ever came up with that second one. I don't see any reason to believe that they can't slip a third one by us, especially since the first one (the one that was found) was apparently only put where it could be found by a mistake on the FCC's part.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #47
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Man oh man.

Am so glad that I got out of Engineering and took International Studies, English, and Russian courses.
As an English major, there was little that was not available at the University Library or at the town's public library. For IS courses, we were given photo-copied hand outs or told to read the paper on developing events. The only problem I ever had was sometimes in class I would be a little behind highlighting cromulent themes in the text. not that I ever owned a highlighter.
Ever since my first semester in college, when all but one of my books was rejected by the University Bookstore or resale, have been keenly aware of what a racket the textbook business is.
Imagine if physicians could still prescribe their own brand of elixir, made by themselves, mayhaps with a bit of help from those honest folks at Glaxo-Smith/Kline-Wellcome-Overlords. Most people would take issue with that.

As for digital texts and e-ink devices ushering in a golden age of open source knowledge, I applaud the revolution, but seriously--publishers love to gouge people for a physical artifact that can be retained indefinitely. Why in the great googly-moogly would they not hamstring an electronic file with DRM software and a restrictive end user license agreement? They would not.

If the groundswell of support for digital texts continues, we might see some welcome, happy changes.
I hope that they happen. It would great for Amazon to tap that market of rowdy teens and help educate them.

If a niece or nephew of mine is smart enough to go for a Liberal Arts Degree in English, know what I'll be getting them for high school graduation.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, college, duck!, kindle, textbooks, university