Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
andersonb47
andersonb47 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Best eReader for textbooks?

I'm going to be a college freshman in a few days and im wondering if its a good idea to get my textbooks in the form of eBooks.

My main concern is that something like a nook or a kindle would have too small a screen for a textbook and I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on this matter.

I'm also wondering if I, say, buy a kindle, will the only books i can read on it have to be purchased from the amazon kindle store? Or will i be able to purchase books from a third party?

If i decide to go the way of the eReader I'm thinking the Onyx Boox M90 would be the best choice given the size of its screen.
andersonb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
What's your fall course schedule like? What are you thinking of majoring in? Do you know what format(s) the textbooks you're interested in use? If PDF, then yes, screen size is a concern.

A big drawback of eReaders as compared to physical books is that it's hard to flip around quickly and to compare information across different sections. They're also not as easy to annotate; this is a deal killer for learners like me, who scribble lots of paraphrases and questions in the margins. Onyx Boox M60/BeBook Neo has one of the better reputations for annotation, but the M90 has had lots of hardware and firmware issues since its release. I personally wouldn't want to be adapting to college and fighting with my support tools at the same time.

Have you read up on the Entourage Edge in the Android subforum? There's no longer a company standing behind the product, but a lot of enthusiastic users have already figured out how to make good use of the hardware.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You may also want to consider a tablet, should the e-textbooks be in PDF format. As you've already figured out, a 6" screen is often inadequate for large PDFs.

If you buy a Kindle, you can only read Kindle books or DRM-free books, unless you break the DRM. However it is against forum rules to explain DRM-stripping in detail. I am not sure if Amazon's e-textbook offerings are available for the Kindle (as opposed to Kindle for PC) anyway, though.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Reader for pdfs

I believe the Kindle is not ideal, as most textbooks are available in pdf format only. I am myself looking for a reader other than my laptop, but have not found anything yet. Among the tablets, I would prefer not to have to buy an iPad, so I hope there is something other pdf enthusiasts have found and tested.
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
mst: You are correct, the Kindle is not ideal. You don't necessarily have to buy an iPad. People say Android tablets of a sufficient size also work. You may want to ask about this in the Android forum.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
If you want a backlit LCD, don't get the iPad, it's useless for annotation which you'll need for academics.

Asus EP121 or Samsung series 7 (not yet released) would be my favourite tablet PCs for school right now. They've also got enough muscle to be your primary computer so you don't need another laptop.

If you use the keyboard alot though you should consider a convertible like the HP 2760p.

Last edited by fishface; 09-13-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: to clarify it's not e-ink
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Goodreader for iPad does annotation, highlighting, re-flow, etc.

Do understand, however, that tablets without real keyboards (as opposed to virtual keyboards) are mainly for content consumption rather than content creation. A "keyboard case" is available (from many sources for cheap$) and does the job but iOS devices are not OSX Macs; even Apple's iApps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are awful when compared to their OSX counterparts.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'm a college student, although much older than the average freshman... I use ebooks for almost all my classes. You will do better with a tablet or netbook instead of an e-ink device. I went with a netbook for several reasons, but mostly personal comfort and adaptability.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
If you want a backlit LCD, don't get the iPad, it's useless for annotation which you'll need for academics.
On the contrary; the iPad with the GoodReader app is outstanding for annotating PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I use the iPad for my textbooks. It's great for highlighting, annotation, notes, etc.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the contrary; the iPad with the GoodReader app is outstanding for annotating PDFs.
You're quite right; I was thinking solely of equation annotation. It would be great for the humanities, maybe even social sciences and so forth.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, textbooks