Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #76
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we drive on the left which is the right side upon which to drive.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #77
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Once, they used to drive on the left in Sweden.
I remember the switch. September 3, 1967. Very dramatic.
Just before the switch, most traffic was banned so traffic signs could be changed. But busses, taxis and some other traffic was allowed. At 04:50 all traffic was ordered to stop at the left side. And then ordered to slowly move over to the right side, and stop. All coordinated on the national radio. The minister of communications, Olof Palme, held a speach on the radio to signify the event. At 05:00 they could start driving again. On the right side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0tw6BYbaqI
The "interesting" bit is at 4:30 - 5:30

Last edited by Adoby; 09-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #78
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I remember the switch. September 3, 1967. Very dramatic.
Just before the switch, most traffic was banned so traffic signs could be changed. But busses, taxis and some other traffic was allowed. At 04:50 all traffic was ordered to stop at the left side. And then ordered to slowly move over to the right side, and stop. All coordinated on the national radio. The minister of communications, Olof Palme, held a speach on the radio to signify the event. At 05:00 they could start driving again. On the right side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0tw6BYbaqI
The "interesting" bit is at 4:30 - 5:30
Yes, I remember reading about it. Quite a big thing to do when you think about it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #79
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Not too hard to be an excellent driver in Florida. If you can manuever around the ninety year-olds who can barely see above the wheel as they drive with their turn signal always on and seat belt sticking out of the driver's side door...then you are golden.
durkinrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #80
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Perhaps you are too easy
No, we drive on the right. Once, they used to drive on the left in Sweden.

Only if you are a very, very good boy
Easy, good ... .the only thing I like of all that is the boy
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #81
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Easy, good ... .the only thing I like of all that is the boy
Oooh, you like the boys?! Me, too
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #82
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oooh, you like the boys?! Me, too
Again you win, I must concede, not only you are so pretty and witty , but you have also very good taste.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #83
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Again you win, I must concede, not only you are so pretty and witty , but you have also very good taste.
Flattery can take you far
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #84
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

talking of cars, a flat will not go far at all, even in Danemark

Last edited by beppe; 09-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #85
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinrobinson View Post
Not too hard to be an excellent driver in Florida. If you can manuever around the ninety year-olds who can barely see above the wheel as they drive with their turn signal always on and seat belt sticking out of the driver's side door...then you are golden.
The drivers I prefer are those that know the road to where they are going. They do not have to use their turn signal. Less visual pollution and distraction.

Last edited by beppe; 09-08-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #86
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yeah right.... perfect .... *not*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 AM   #87
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
The drivers I prefer are those that know the road to where they are going. They do not have to use their turn signal. Less visual pollution and distraction.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #88
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

next in my preference list are those that travel just a foot or two (half a meter if you like metric) in my back.
This is so generous. It protects me from being bumped by some incompetent driver, it occupies less of the road, which is generally a very good thing, and last but not least, it feels so cozy.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #89
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
And they also provide one with a little entertainment while out, especially if one is on bicycle - little guessing games; will they turn right or not? They make sure that you are never bored and keep you reflexes sharp at the same time.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
next in my preference list are those that travel just a foot or two (half a meter if you like metric) in my back.
This is so generous. It protects me from being bumped by some incompetent driver, it occupies less of the road, which is generally a very good thing, and last but not least, it feels so cozy.
Oh, is that why they do that! I thought they were always looking for my tow (if that's the right word), which I always keep in my boot (I have one that can be removed from the car, because it is in front of the numberplate...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote