Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
just erased..
sorry

Last edited by repods; 06-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Actually, the procedure you described seems to be quite generic.
It WORKED even on my wife's PRS505.

So, do not need to buy a DR800 or the like.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
akey
akey began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ...

Besides the fact that we have zero confirmation that the continuous mode is disable due to a non-technical reason. The devs were very quick to point out that the PDF zoom issue was for marketing reasons. This is not the case this time.

So yeah...
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
repods
Addict

yeah what ?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
This confirms that they are purposely disabling certain features on dr800s/sg such as continuous page mode, full screen, thumbnail view etc. As someone has pointed out, they might have to put these in the dr1000s because the 1.7 firmware has these features originally. For dr800s/sg, these features are never promised officially.

By the way, repods, do you see the PDF right and bottom cut off problem after replacing uds?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
This confirms that they are purposely disabling certain features ...
No it doesn't. Repods confessed his whole post was a "joke"
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
No it doesn't. Repods confessed his whole post was a "joke"
OK, guys, the question now is: is replacing dr800's binary with dr1000's binary legal (to post)? Because I am not joking here, just check out the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	53533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2312.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	53534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2313.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	53535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2314.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	53536  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dr1000
Do you only replace uds, or also popupmenu? If you only need uds, you probably don't even need to overwrite the original file. Just install the dr1000 executable on the SD card and add lines:
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-pdf/viewer_cmd=/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_uds/uds.dr1000
for all relevant document types (perhaps doc-djvu if you installed the djvu plugin)

Update: ah I see the tabs now, so you did replace popupmenu

Last edited by luite; 06-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.
luite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Turquoise
Turquoise began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 800SG
Quote:
OK, guys, the question now is: is replacing dr800's binary with dr1000's binary legal (to post)? Because I am not joking here, just check out the pictures.
Super!. Now are you going to tell us how you did it. Please make sure that you explain it in detail. Because I am afraid of doing something wrong... Thanks in advance...
Turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
repods
Addict

Quote:
you bastard
you revealed my secrets !!!

in any case I suspect that modifing stuff in closed source apps can be quite illegal
for this reason I found (luckily for us) a legal way, thanks to some device design..
oh.. and btw if you continue testing what you just did you should notice that what you reached is still not the best result possible..
let's see..
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Looks great!!! I am sure all DR800 users wouldn't mind getting continuous page on the device. So what the diff. between legal and illegal way of modifying it?
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
you bastard
you revealed my secrets !!!

in any case I suspect that modifing stuff in closed source apps can be quite illegal
for this reason I found (luckily for us) a legal way, thanks to some device design..
oh.. and btw if you continue testing what you just did you should notice that what you reached is still not the best result possible..
let's see..
Of course the result is not the best. Actually hacking binary is the last thing that a user should do. However, the feature we all want is not open sourced. So you can either write your own viewer (TechPDF) or hack around the opened source (which I assume repods is doing). Since I really don't have enough time now to do either of them, I went ahead and gave the ugly way a try.

All I have done is replacing the uds and popupmenu and copy needed icon files. Obviously, there are quite a few problems using this non-native uds and popupmenu, but none is a show stopper for normal reading.

See, I don't really need all these dr1000 feature (although they are nice), all I need is changing the current stupid way of pan mode: when then bottom/top of the current page is reached, pushing the flipbar forward/backward, instead of re-rendering the current view, render the next/previous page. Hopefully, I can find this part of code in the opened source, under 4.0/iRex/document-viewer-plugins-4.0+svnr6952/plugins/pdf, then I don't need to replace the uds and popupmenu at all!

I am very curious what repods is doing now, can you give us some idea?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dr1000
Quote:
Hopefully, I can find this part of code in the opened source, under 4.0/iRex/document-viewer-plugins-4.0+svnr6952/plugins/pdf, then I don't need to replace the uds and popupmenu at all!
The plugins don't handle the keypresses directly, the only thing they do is deliver bitmaps of (complete) pages at the requested size to uds. Uds handles the user interface and the placement of those bitmaps on the screen.

You could of course split each page in two and tell uds that the document has twice as many pages (which is similar to what I do in split mode for the djvu plugin, but that is for a different kind of split), but then you wouldn't be able to zoom out or pan to see a large graphic in the middle of a page, for example.

But there's another problem, the source code for the pdf plugin is not used anymore. It has been replaced by a new (closed source) plugin, based on the adobe sdk. The old plugin was based on poppler, and is much slower (the poppler one was never used on the DR800).

Fixing the issues with popupmenu should be possible, since it is open source. All toolbars are (unfortunately) hardcoded into popupmenu, so you could remove a few buttons to make it fit on the smaller DR800 screen.
luite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Fixing the issues with popupmenu should be possible, since it is open source. All toolbars are (unfortunately) hardcoded into popupmenu, so you could remove a few buttons to make it fit on the smaller DR800 screen.
Yes, one of the annoying thing is the popupmenu, since dr1000 has a larger screen than dr800, some icons on the right side won't be shown in portrait mode. And some icons/features are not applicable to dr800, such as "lock sensors".

As a side note, I bet if IREX enabled these features on DR800 by default and marketed well, the sales for DR800 would have been much better, especially in technical/academic market.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
All I have done is replacing the uds and popupmenu and copy needed icon files. Obviously, there are quite a few problems using this non-native uds and popupmenu, but none is a show stopper for normal reading.
Do you know what the differences are between the DR1000 UDS and DR800 UDS and if there are any reasons that running the wrong one may cause serious problems?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote