Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
HectorP
HectorP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
epub-to-mobi - titles lost in TOC/NCX

Hello everyone. I’m new to calibre and on this forum and would like your expert help with an issue I have encountered in epub-to-mobi conversions. I’ve browsed through postings with related topics, but found nothing about this problem.

The issue is: I have a number of EPUBs that were exported from InDesign CS5 (ID) books using a css stylesheet generated in Dreamweaver which I want to convert to MOBI. (I’m running an XP sp3 system). In those books, each book chapter/article is a separate document in the ID book, so, when the book is exported to epub, ID generates an epub Table of Contents (with the filenames of the ID documents of the book, which I have named as I want the title of each chapter/article to appear in the TOC). That TOC has titles in English and Spanish because the books have articles in both languages.

Using one book as an example, the epub TOC is complete (with 57 titles) and functional when I open the epub in Adobe Editions, an iPad, or in the calibre previewer. But after conversion to MOBI (with calibre version 0.8.64), only 25 of the titles are shown in the MOBI TOC and in the NCX View, whether in Kindle or caliber previewers or in a Kindle Fire. Upon checking, the titles that are missing are all those that have accented characters or other Non-English characters (i.e.: á, é, ó, ñ, etc.). The links in the TOC English and Spanish-with-no-accented-characters titles that do display in the TOC and NCX are completely functional and remit to the proper article. (All accented and extended characters in all the mobi book text display correctly).

The same thing has happened in all epubs I've so far converted to mobi.

When I made the first conversion of one of the epubs, many photos in the book didn’t show in the MOBI book and I found that the photos missing were those whose filenames had Non-English characters. I worked around that problem removing the extended characters from the filenames of the JPG images (which the readers don’t see and can be named however you wish) and now all the photos display well, but I can’t do the same with article titles; they need to be written correctly.

To work around that problem, in one of the books I went back to the original ID documents and removed the accented characters from their filenames; exported the ID book to epub; converted to mobi to create the TOC/NCX list (which then had detected all of the titles); reconverted the mobi to epub to edit the titles in Sigil; and then converted to the final mobi. All the titles, including accented ones, now display and links work fine, which shows that calibre is not having problem detecting the ID-generated TOC itself, or with displaying accented charaters in the TOC or the NCX, but only has problem detecting the titles with accented characters.

Is there a solution less tedious that the one described in above paragraph?

I guess the same thing that didn’t permit the missing photos to display because they had accented jpeg filenames is not permitting the accented titles to display in the TOC/NCX of the mobi, but I’ve been unable to find what that thing is. Do you know what can it be?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

HectorP

Last edited by HectorP; 08-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
HectorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Using non-ascii characters in epub filenames is problematic. If you do use that, then you have to make sure that the zip file (epub is just a zip file) properly declares the character encoding of the files in its header, or things will break. I have no idea how you would go about doing that with indesign.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
missing toc titles, toc detection, toc problem, toc.ncx