Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
filmprof
filmprof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Multiple Kindles, Multiple News Feeds

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed -- I couldn't find it.

I have multiple Kindles and would like to differentiate which news feeds get sent to which Kindle automatically. Short of running 2 instances of
Calibre is there a solution?

Great work on this software and thanks in advance!
filmprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmprof View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed -- I couldn't find it.

I have multiple Kindles and would like to differentiate which news feeds get sent to which Kindle automatically. Short of running 2 instances of
Calibre is there a solution?

Great work on this software and thanks in advance!
There's always a workaround, but there's nothing builtin that will do this.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
wilderf3353
wilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I got it to work by doing the following (it is a twisted trail...):

- I configured Calibre to use my GMail account for email as a mail server

- Under "Sharing books by email" in Calibre, I added my GMail Email with "auto send" turned on

- All news in Calibre is scheduled for automatic download

- I create a new free private Google group called Franks_Kindle and configured my Kindle to allow emails from the new Group (via amazon.com, "Your Kindle Approved E-mail List").

- I create a new free private Google group called Marys_Kindle and configured my wife's Kindle to allow emails from the new Group.

- I added a new forwarding address on my GMail account that goes to both groups. Google sent the confirmation code to the groups and I was able to validate the forwarding addresses in GMail. (If only I could do this via my kindle's email address...)

I then created a series of filters in GMail to automatically forward Calibre News emails to the proper groups. If both of us are interested in a news feed, it goes to both groups. If only one of us is interested in a news feed, it goes to only that person's Google group.

As an example:
- Matches:
- from franksgmail@gmail.com
- subject:LifeHacker
- Do this: Forward to Franks_Kindle , Delete it

Does this make sense?

Last edited by wilderf3353; 02-13-2011 at 09:20 PM.
wilderf3353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
filmprof
filmprof began at the beginning.

Thanks Frank!

Got it to work but found out immediately with the NY Times that Google groups limits messages to 4 megs and thus it wouldn't go through. The other feeds did.

Last edited by filmprof; 02-28-2011 at 08:24 AM.
filmprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
JamboUK
JamboUK began at the beginning.

Sorry to raise this thread again. But I am trying do to exactly what is described below. I understand it and I have created the groups I need.

What I am puzzled with on, is how to get the Google Group to forward to a @kindle.com email address because again it requires for an email to be sent to that account and authenticated. Which of course the Kindle won't receive to do so. So it is back to square one and the same issue with just forwarding from a Gmail account.

With more and more families with multiple Kindles a feature in Calibre to allow for two email addresses getting varied newsfeeds is getting more of a killer feature. I hope this will be looked at again in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderf3353 View Post
I got it to work by doing the following (it is a twisted trail...):

- I configured Calibre to use my GMail account for email as a mail server

- Under "Sharing books by email" in Calibre, I added my GMail Email with "auto send" turned on

- All news in Calibre is scheduled for automatic download

- I create a new free private Google group called Franks_Kindle and configured my Kindle to allow emails from the new Group (via amazon.com, "Your Kindle Approved E-mail List").

- I create a new free private Google group called Marys_Kindle and configured my wife's Kindle to allow emails from the new Group.

- I added a new forwarding address on my GMail account that goes to both groups. Google sent the confirmation code to the groups and I was able to validate the forwarding addresses in GMail. (If only I could do this via my kindle's email address...)

I then created a series of filters in GMail to automatically forward Calibre News emails to the proper groups. If both of us are interested in a news feed, it goes to both groups. If only one of us is interested in a news feed, it goes to only that person's Google group.

As an example:
- Matches:
- from franksgmail@gmail.com
- subject:LifeHacker
- Do this: Forward to Franks_Kindle , Delete it

Does this make sense?
JamboUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Check this project :
http://github.com/intromatyk/egazeciarz
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
JamboUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. It is not clear what the project does and is? Anymore info?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@JamboUK, it's script, which I use in my project called eGazeciarz :
http://egazeciarz.pl

It's web application based on calibre in which you register with your kindle email address and then you can subscribe to periodicals you're interested in.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
JamboUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
@JamboUK, it's script, which I use in my project called eGazeciarz :
http://egazeciarz.pl

It's web application based on calibre in which you register with your kindle email address and then you can subscribe to periodicals you're interested in.
Is it currently up and running? Is it working for users?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
wilderf3353
wilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enoughwilderf3353 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboUK View Post
...What I am puzzled with on, is how to get the Google Group to forward to a @kindle.com email address because again it requires for an email to be sent to that account and authenticated. Which of course the Kindle won't receive to do so. So it is back to square one and the same issue with just forwarding from a Gmail account...
This doesn't work any more using Google (as you discovered). Google changed their policy last summer. You used to be able to add email addresses directly, but you now have to reply to an email sent from the group to join.

This will still work, you just need to use a different service that will allow you to add email addresses directly -- like GroupSpace.
wilderf3353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
JamboUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderf3353 View Post
This doesn't work any more using Google (as you discovered). Google changed their policy last summer. You used to be able to add email addresses directly, but you now have to reply to an email sent from the group to join.

This will still work, you just need to use a different service that will allow you to add email addresses directly -- like GroupSpace.

This doesn't work either because Calibre sends it to my Gmail account. I then want filters to send it to say a GroupSpace account via Gmail forwarding BUT Gmail then only wants to send forwarded email to a verfied account. My GroupSpace groups don't appear to be letting the verification emails that Google sends out through.