Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Murder Mysteries

I'm putting together an ereading package for my Mom for Mother's Day. The plan is to send her my Kindle 1 loaded with the books she likes to read on a SD card. Mom reads murder mysteries (not my cup of tea at all) and the authors she likes are: James Patterson, Sue Grafton, and J.D. Robb. I'm looking for recommendations for other authors.

TIA
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta novels
Kathy Reichs - Temperance Brennan novels (very different from the TV "Bones" series).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Michael Connelly (the Harry Bosch series)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agatha Christie would be my #1. Old, I know, but still hard to beat. Well over 50 of her books are available as eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Michael Connelly (the Harry Bosch series)
Love Harry Bosch!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Jan Burke - Irene Kelly series
Old 04-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
David Baldacci - Camel Club series
Agatha Christie - Any and all
Jeffery Deaver - Lincoln Rhyme series
Linda Fairstein - Alex Cooper series
Tess Gerritsen - Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series plus anything else in eBook form
Faye Kellerman - Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus series
Jonathan Kellerman - Alex Delaware series
Robert B. Parker - Spencer series
Kathy Reichs - Temperance Brennan series

That list should keep your mother going big time with some really good reading.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-15-2009 at 12:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
here's a thread with lots of great recommendations.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Shadowfan
Shadowfan began at the beginning.

Device: e-wise 1150 and Iphone
If you want an author in the same category as Sue Grafton, try Marcia Muller's P.I. Sharon Mccone series, there are 23 books in the series so far.
Nevada Barr writes a series of books about a national park ranger that is quiet good and is in the J.D. Robb category. Jonathan Kellerman writes a series about a phychologist, Alex Delaware who consults with the police to solve crimes similiar to the James Patterson's character Alex Cross.
Shadowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Robert B. Parker - Spencer series
I'm a big fan of his Jessie Stone series (books and movies) even though Parker's writing style drives me nuts. Way too many "Jessie said", "she said" and "he said" after every line of dialog.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
In addition to excellent series suggested above, I would like to add the following two.
- John Sandford - Prey Series
- Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child - Pendergast series starting from Relic
These are really good as well.

If she likes something light with some mystery elements thrown in,
- Charlaine Harris - Aurora Teagarden Series
- Lilian Jackson Braun - The Cat Who Series
are pretty enjoyable.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Agosto
Agosto began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
P.D. James (Adam Dalgliesh series) and Elizabeth George (Lynley series) are pretty good. They are set in England, and there's usually less "blood" than in American novels.
Agosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'd recommend Dana Stabenow's two series.

Kate Shugak is an Aleut who lives on a 160-acre homestead in a generic national Park in Alaska. Her roommate is a half-wolf, half-husky dog named Mutt. Once an investigator for the Anchorage DA, she's returned to her home among the dog mushers, miners, hunters, trappers, fishermen, bush pilots, pipeline workers, Park rats and Park rangers, other Aleuts, Athabascans, a few Tlingits and the residents of Niniltna. 16 books so far in the series. Some, if not all at Amazon.com in Kindle format

Liam Campbell is a troubled Alaska state trooper. Busted in rank and transferred into the boonies, he solves murders while rebuilding his life. 4 books so far, all available from Amazon.com for the Kindle.

Stabenow is an outspoken advocate of electronic books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm putting together an ereading package for my Mom for Mother's Day. The plan is to send her my Kindle 1 loaded with the books she likes to read on a SD card. Mom reads murder mysteries (not my cup of tea at all) and the authors she likes are: James Patterson, Sue Grafton, and J.D. Robb. I'm looking for recommendations for other authors.

TIA
TallMomof2 Some of my favourites would include Karin Slaughter, Allison Brennan, and Karen Rose. Hope your Mom enjoys your choices, and I wish her happy reading.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I was going to make some recommendations but I see most have already been covered. Of my favs, only ones I don't see are - Ian Rankin (Rebus series, helps to be interested in things Scottish) and James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux series)
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery