Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
parrafo175
parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kindle
need help with ebook formatting

Hello,

I am very new to ebook formatting. I have good knowledge of HTML and CSS but so far I have only tried a few things like write2pub for Open Office, SIgil and Calibre.

Any advice on any other software (preferably free) that I could play with?

Any rules for creating good ebooks out there?

Thank you
Eleni
parrafo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrafo175 View Post
Any advice on any other software (preferably free) that I could play with?

Any rules for creating good ebooks out there?

Thank you
Eleni
I find Notpad++ useful once you add the WebEdit plugin and customize it with appropriate tags.

There is a lot of info on formatting in MR's ePub and Kindle forums.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
parrafo175
parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks dwig for the information. I will try out Notepad++

Do you think it is a good idea to create a template css that I can use with epubs, so I only make little changes here and there?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Thanks dwig for the information. I will try out Notepad++

Do you think it is a good idea to create a template css that I can use with epubs, so I only make little changes here and there?
Well, for what it's worth that's what I do - I have two templates, one for MobileRead library and one for Circaidy Gregory Press for whom I'm doing some conversions from print to ePub. If some ebooks have special needs I just fiddle with the template.

In fact I use a template for the whole ePub, and just change or overwrite the files in it. It's pretty basic, but if it's of any interest to you I could send it.

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-05-2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added information
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is what I do too. I have a core epub with pages for covers and so on and a CSS stylesheet. I upload the book in the core and change what needs to be changed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
parrafo175

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post

In fact I use a template for the whole ePub, and just change or overwrite the files in it. It's pretty basic, but if it's of any interest to you I could send it.
Hello,

It would be great if you can send it.

Thank you
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
parrafo175

Hi Toxaris,

thanks for your comment. What toold do you use?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I use primarily Word and Sigil. Sometimes Notepad++, but that is rare.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello,

It would be great if you can send it.

Thank you
Here's the one for Circaidy Gregory Press. It validates with ePubCheck and FlightCrew.
Attached Files
File Type: epub CGPTemplate.epub (53.6 KB, 222 views)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

You can use LibreOffice or OpenOffice with writer2xhtml extension. Totally free and multi-platform.

You'll find a guidebook with my signature. It's been published on MobileRead but it's in French.

The software itself can be used of course in English.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #11
parrafo175

Thank you Alex. I am going to try and do something this weekend and post it back here for your feedback, if that´s ok.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #12
parrafo175

I currently use Open Office with writer2epub extension but I will try the writer2xhtml extension too. Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you Alex. I am going to try and do something this weekend and post it back here for your feedback, if that´s ok.

Cheers
Fine, or you could send me a private message with your email address, and I'll respond to it with mine.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Hi Alex,

thanks from me for the template, too! I took away some nice ideas.

Thank you
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

You're very welcome, Sven. I have had a lot of help from people on these forums, and its nice to be able to help someone else.

Tags
epub, format questions