Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
PRS-650 Exclamation Point error opening epub book

I downloaded the free epub ebook "The Best of Edmond Hamilton" from Phoenix Pick. I get an exclamation point error on my PRS-650 when I try to open it. I can open it using the Sony Reader Library or Calibre. I remember someone else on this forum having this problem but if I remember correctly their problem was that the file was too large. This book is 397 KB. All my other books open just fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
I downloaded the free epub ebook "The Best of Edmond Hamilton" from Phoenix Pick. I get an exclamation point error on my PRS-650 when I try to open it. I can open it using the Sony Reader Library or Calibre. I remember someone else on this forum having this problem but if I remember correctly their problem was that the file was too large. This book is 397 KB. All my other books open just fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Something is questionable with the EPUB's internal layout. I have also seen it go the other way with EPUBs that would open fine on my PRS-650, but that would choke FBreader on my Netbook.

Try doing a EPUB to EPUB conversion in Calibre (make sure your EPUB output profile is set to 'Sony')

If that doesn't fix the problem, you might also try doing a EPUB -> MOBI and then convert back MOBI -> EPUB. (be sure when doing this second conversion to override the source type in the upper left to 'MOBI' because Calibre keeps setting it back to EPUB by default)

If Calibre doesn't choke on the conversion, then this will hopefully give you a file that is at least readable on the Sony.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Something is questionable with the EPUB's internal layout. I have also seen it go the other way with EPUBs that would open fine on my PRS-650, but that would choke FBreader on my Netbook.

Try doing a EPUB to EPUB conversion in Calibre (make sure your EPUB output profile is set to 'Sony')

If that doesn't fix the problem, you might also try doing a EPUB -> MOBI and then convert back MOBI -> EPUB. (be sure when doing this second conversion to override the source type in the upper left to 'MOBI' because Calibre keeps setting it back to EPUB by default)

If Calibre doesn't choke on the conversion, then this will hopefully give you a file that is at least readable on the Sony.
Thanks delphin. Going from EPUB to EPUB worked using Calibre. I must have been getting tired last night. I thought I had converted from EPUB to EPUB in Calibre but I had went from EPUB to LRF which didn't work.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
perilous
perilous has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
The PRS-650 (maybe all Sony Reader products) have two file size requirements that need to be adhered to for an epub file to load successfully. Every file within the epub container must have an uncompressed size < 300 KB and a compressed size < 100 KB. The size of the epub file itself (which is really just a zip file) doesn't matter. Your epub probably contains a file that violates one or both of these conditions.
perilous is offline   Reply With Quote