Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #16
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
300 fan

I changed from a bebook to a PRS-300. Purely for the size. Dictionairy, who cares, same with annotation, I have an iPhone and muliple laptops. I bought the 300 to read books, period. I couldn't be happier.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
My sister has the 300, it's okay but to me no sd slot equals not for me. I got the 600. The glare takes getting use to because my old PRS 500 didn't have that issue. But after a bit you tend to ignore it. I like the zoom feature on the 600 though I would never really need XL or XXL on anything.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I saw the 300 and 600 side by side and the 300-screen looked much clearer, more contrast, less glare. Readability is my #1 priority, also in less then perfect circumstances, like on public transportation.
So I took that one, and have not looked back.
I do not miss the memoryslot at all: an average pocketbook takes up about 0.25 MB, and since internal memory is 440MB.....
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I wouldn't trade my 300 for a 600, no way. Besides being much more portable (the 300 is truly pocketable for a guy!), I enjoy the much clearer screen with sharper text and less glare. I have zero use for a dictionary or notes. All I want to do is read a lot, and the 300 fills that function perfectly.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
the touch screen and being able to write or draw is the best part for me... i also like the dicctionary, but i'm sure somebody will install it in the PRS-300 eventually, so its not a big PRO... =]

long story short, i would go definitelly for the PRS-600 time after time...
I love the drawing too, and one little note about the dictionary isn't just about the fact that its there, it's the integration with reading a book and finding a word definition on the same page, I've used this a number of times. I also like the ability to highlight, so no way, I would never switch my 600 for a 300.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
Two things I think makes the 600 worth the extra money; Dictionary and touch swiping to turn pages, adds so much to the reading experience.

its evolutionary reading IMO
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #22
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
i like my 600, am i'm particularly pleased with the touch screen, which is the main reason i bought it. it exceeded my expectations. However, i do sometimes find the 600 slightly too wide sometimes, and if i could get a 600 in a 300 size, i would probably do it.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
I am OK with my 600 as long as I don't turn on to read from my wife's 505... I miss how crisp the 505 is, the glare of the 600 is getting to me... my eyes get tired faster with the 600 over the 505.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I upgraded from a 500 to a 600. The 500 isn't without glare, where I usually sit, bit the 600 is a little more noticeable. But the tradeoff, besides being a faster unit, is the contrast on the 600 is way better than the 500. The 600 is like black type on a light tan background compared to the 500 being black type on a grey background. I fully expect I'll be hanging onto my 600.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #25
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I put my 600 up on Craigslist last night. I picked up a 300 today. The deciding factors were pocketability and screen clarity. I have been reading for years on a Palm PDA. I'm used to a smaller device. I don't care much about the lack of touch screen. I will miss the ability to take handwritten notes, but I still carry a Palm TX for that. I don't think I will notice the lack of SD card expansion. I don't see myself needing to carry every book I own on my Reader. Loss of MP3 playback won't bother me either. I had loaded audiobooks onto my 600, but have never found the time to listen to them. All in all, I'm happy with my choice. BTW, I am selling my 600, which is in perfect condition with the leather Sony cover which contains a built-in booklight. I'm asking $290 for all of it. I also have the box. I'm onedanong@yahoo.com if interested, and I won't ship overseas.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I've had my 300 for a couple months now and I love it. I've been seriously considering getting a 600 too for technical pdfs. Today, I got the chance to play with a 600 next to my 300 with the same pdf on them. The font size, small, med and lg are identical on each screen, with the 600 showing more text, obviously.

The 2 things I liked about the 600 was the SD slot, for easy loading, and the mp3 player. I could read and listen to music at the same time! Cool! I'm sure the battery would run down quickly though.

What I didn't like was the size. I'm really used to the size of the 300 and I have small hands. The 600 just felt uncomfortable to hold. Guess that's something you'd get used to, but I planned on switching back and forth. The screen is not as crisp as the 300 either.

I think I'll wait to see what the next generation of ereaders has to offer. In the meantime, I use my 300 everyday!!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
(505 owners in particular, it seems ) gather their pitchforks and start a riot about how bad it is. So, it seems ignorance is bliss on this front.
I am a 505 owner who desperately wanted the 600 (I have tennis elbow and it hurts to use my right hand for the controls) but after having one for less than 24 hours, its going back. I love the 600, the touchscreen, fast response time, everything (although I personally don't need notes or the dictionary) and its not so much the glare but the darkness of the font/background in general, I just can't read on it comfortably. I read mainly at night, and indoors so sunlight isn't an issue for me but the 600 just isn't easy to read with a lamp, and impossible under a main room light.

I can only hope that by the time my 505 packs up a better model is out, if not the it would have to be the 300 for me. I live in the UK so we only have Sony as an option.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-06-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #28
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
im going the other way, just decided to switch from my 300 to a 600.

mostly for bigger screen, more fonts, faster page turns, touch screen
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I read mainly at night, and indoors so sunlight isn't an issue for me but the 600 just isn't easy to read with a lamp, and impossible under a main room light.
That's strange. I too do all my reading on a PRS-600 with reading lamps and normal room lighting, and don't have the slightest difficulty. Perhaps your PRS-600 has a faulty screen?

Quote:
I can only hope that by the time my 505 packs up a better model is out, if not the it would have to be the 300 for me. I live in the UK so we only have Sony as an option.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "we only have Sony as an option". I live in the UK too and, as you can see from my profile on the left, I have a wide range of different devices. The Sony is probably the only one you'll see in the shops, but there are lots of different choices for online purchase.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "we only have Sony as an option". I live in the UK too and, as you can see from my profile on the left, I have a wide range of different devices. The Sony is probably the only one you'll see in the shops, but there are lots of different choices for online purchase.
I didn't know that, thanks for pointing that out. I know that Kindle is now released but I had read you had to order that from the US, and for something like this I prefer to purchase from a shop in case anything goes wrong.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote