Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
NY Times is completely clueless

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

This writer reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell. Say some controversial things upfront....have some crappy supporting arguments that only people who already are biased toward your argument would swallow....then pussy out and equivocate and totally destroy your original argument......in essence saying absolutely nothing but taking up my time.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I didn't see really anything wrong with it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think the author made a bogus comparison between Barnes & Noble and Amazon. B&N isn't in 2nd or even 3rd place when it comes to E-books.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
+1

The article is fine. B&N has the potential to be a big ebook player, but are late to the game, and are not doing it right.

So, IMO, they deserve the flack.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

This writer reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell. Say some controversial things upfront....have some crappy supporting arguments that only people who already are biased toward your argument would swallow....then pussy out and equivocate and totally destroy your original argument......in essence saying absolutely nothing but taking up my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
the New York Times got it right

Quote:
.....And remember, you can never lend, resell or pass on an A or B e-book. You’re buying into proprietary, copy-protected formats.....
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
the New York Times got it right
That doesn' matter. if you've bought an ereader and downloaded books you know that and have self selected yourself into the customer base such that you are probably well off and/or don't buy/resell books....and/or the many benefits of ebooks offsets this limitation.

also, I should mention that you can actually resell ebooks on the Kindle, although indirectly,....that is if you sell the entire device, the ebooks will still be there and you can build them into the price of selling the kindle.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
That doesn' matter. if you've bought an ereader and downloaded books you know that and have self selected yourself into the customer base such that you are probably well off and/or don't buy/resell books....and/or the many benefits of ebooks offsets this limitation.

also, I should mention that you can actually resell ebooks on the Kindle, although indirectly,....that is if you sell the entire device, the ebooks will still be there and you can build them into the price of selling the kindle.
your entire scenario is completely idiotic thus invalidating the argument
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
shallowgal
shallowgal began at the beginning.

That new buyer better read those books in a hurry, like before they re-register their 2nd hand Kindle.
Have to be a real fiend of sorts. A book fiend.
shallowgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowgal View Post
That new buyer better read those books in a hurry, like before they re-register their 2nd hand Kindle.
Have to be a real fiend of sorts. A book fiend.

According to very reliable sources, the kindle books on the device aren't deleted when u reregister. thus, I am correct and u are wrong.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can resell a Sony with the books loaded on it, too. I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion...
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
shallowgal
shallowgal began at the beginning.

Quote:
According to very reliable sources, the kindle books on the device aren't deleted when u reregister. thus, I am correct and u are wrong.
I'll have to read the other thread here, since this seems to be off topic here.

But, hey, I can admit when I am wrong. Not a problem, most of the time.
shallowgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mostly the article seems to make clear how little the author thinks of e-books from any company, not to mention approaching the subject as if A and B&N are the only e-book choices out there. Though it does point out differences between the two services, it says little of substance about them, or your real alternatives. To me, it comes off as kind of vacuous and pointless.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Mostly the article seems to make clear how little the author thinks of e-books from any company, not to mention approaching the subject as if A and B&N are the only e-book choices out there. Though it does point out differences between the two services, it says little of substance about them, or your real alternatives. To me, it comes off as kind of vacuous and pointless.
Mr. Pogue can at times tend to oversimplify things, and he does in this case lead with some of the controversial bits, but then isn't that typical of what's expected of a well written news article? If you're writing for a newspaper, you have to grab the reader, they frequently only read a paragraph or two, and then move on. I myself can go on too long in posts, and they can be bland, so topical brevity is something I tend to admire.

Mr. Pogue also doubtless understands that there is more to eBooks than Company A and B, he's written or contributed to other articles in the area. But I think he grasps the basics well enough here. We have one company, Amazon, that's dominating the eBook field at the moment, if not totally so in sales, certainly in interest levels and visibility. With apologies to Sony, in the U.S. it's just not very visible. No big screen variant, no cell phone connections, kind of yesterday's tech. And Kindle is very obviously a bigger part of what Amazon is up to than Sony's eBook readers are to that company. So anything new that comes along, is going to be compared to Amazon. They're the trendsetter, they have the mind-share.

The Barnes announcement, while NYT correctly points out is "not exactly" at the moment, stands out as being significant to me on several levels. Barnes clearly gets that it cannot sit out eBooks indefinitely. Time to start building the infrastructure and market presence. Borders of course stocked Sony readers, so in the Bricks and Mortar space, the Barnes announcement positions it to go after mind-share, and directly compete. Second, the Plastic Logic connection, while that's turned to the Waiting-for-Godot device, gives what looks like a very good hardware device a very-good backend bookstore to partner with. This pairing is of benefit to both. Think iRex (albeit with better firmware), for the prime example of what happens to good hardware without a good backend. Granted BN went the Sony route of artificially inflating its book count, but that's just marketing, harmless enough, presumably they'll fix that as time elapses. And third, the article touches on this but somewhat in another context (the BN Mac software is obviously not-ready-for-prime-time), BN got something very definitely right that Amazon still has wrong, the need to be able to read an eBook on a PC. eBooks need to be readable, anywhere, which means at least 4 platforms (arranged, more or less, in order of screen-size/portability):
  1. Phones (iPhone, Blackberry, 3-5" screens,etc.) - Uber portability/convergence, but not the place to read War and Piece (unless you like giving business to your optometrist)
  2. Dedicated eBook readers (ala Kindle, 5-13" screens) - long battery life with wireless download
  3. Netbooks (with apologies to Microsoft, but 9-12" screen PCs, Apple's upcoming appliance)
  4. PCs (Laptop and Desktop, 15-30" screens)

It is the last two where BN seems to have found a chink in Amazon's armor. Kind of surprising, given Amazon's obvious thoroughness in developing/buying eBook capabilities, and stated intention to go multiplatform.

I kind of look at the BN announcement as just their foot in the door, for now, but more significant in that what's a very big Bookstore presence has concluded they cannot let Amazon dominate the eBook field any further. This is a significant milestone. If there were any questions remaining, eBooks have arrived. BN will make Amazon (and Sony) better, the competition has been joined.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pwjone1, you know what?

You should've written the article. I got more out of your comments than Pogue's.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote