Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Replacement Screens from China

Hi,

The screen on my KK has gone kaput after 16 mths

EDIT: I should have said the original was a replaced about 12 mths ago and I do read a lot about 6 hrs a day.

I really like the device and was thinking about replacing the screen. I've actually changed a screen before, although for a different reason. I've found a new screen on eBay 300791190035 but am not sure as to the quality? The seller says it's an original part?

What do you think, would you pay £38? (roughly $55 I would guess?)

Seasons Greetings

Last edited by Frothy; 12-22-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
Hi,

I really like the device and was thinking about replacing the screen. I've actually changed a screen before, although for a different reason. I've found a new screen on eBay 300791190035 but am not sure as to the quality? The seller says it's an original part?

Seasons Greetings
Try contacting Kinde CS first. From what I heard, they're generally rather generous with replacements (even after the warranty period). Unless the broken screen is very obviously your own fault, you might actually get a replacement if you ask nicely.

About the screen: at that price, I'd rather buy an entire used Kindle
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've contacted CS, they've offered me a £18 discount on the basic kindle (don't ask how they calculate it I don't know). I might take them up on the offer, but I would also like to repair my KK because it's a good one (good buttons, plus it's got audio speakers and a physical keyboard).

EDIT: I would think people who buy a lot of kindle books would get a bigger discount, or even a free replacement. I did ask REALLY REALLY nicely but no dice. I don't BUY a lot of kinke books, I mainly read free classics downloaded from this site.

Last edited by Frothy; 12-22-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Your Kindle is out of warranty, you admit you don't buy a lot of books from Amazon yet they've still offered you the £69 Kindle for £51? I'd say that's pretty good, in similar circumstances I'd certainly be very happy if they offered me any kind of discount.

Try doing the same thing with a Kobo or Sony and see what kind of response you get....!

If you're still planning to go ahead with the screen replacement on your old Kindle, have a read at this thread on here from just a few months ago:

DIY replacement of a damaged Kindle 3 screen
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Frothy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Your Kindle is out of warranty, you admit you don't buy a lot of books from Amazon yet they've still offered you the £69 Kindle for £51? I'd say that's pretty good, in similar circumstances I'd certainly be very happy if they offered me any kind of discount.

Try doing the same thing with a Kobo or Sony and see what kind of response you get....!

DIY replacement of a damaged Kindle 3 screen

Many thanks I'll check out the link.

NB
I wasn't complaining about the discount, Amazon had already replaced it once before for a screen issue (VERY slow screen refresh on page turns). I've no beef with Amazon CS.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
in here there were preowned kks for $60 for a month or so. Currently the deal is off (ended a week ago), but I'd probably wait a bit to show up again, $55 for the screen only sounds like a daylight robbery.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Chinese seller. If you have problems you're screwed. In order to get coverage from PayPal you'd have to ship it back to the seller with an online tracking number. I'm not familar with the UK postal system but in Canada and the US, to ship overseas and get a tracking number is HUGELY expensive. And you wouldn't get that cost back either. That's on your dime.

For that reason alone, I'd pass.

If you have a friend in Canada get them to go to The Source. They still sell new Kindle Keyboards. I think Staples here does too. Or perhaps look into one of those freight forwarder companies. You'd use their address as the Ship To address and buy from the site. The site ships to them and they forward it to you. Some sites check the country code of your credit card so you may not be able to but it's worth a shot and for a brand new Kindle, it's better than a refurb, better than used and better than getting screwed on an expensive screen through eBay and a Chinese seller.

Hope that helps!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Cowboom sells pre-owned WiFi Kindle Keyboard ereaders for $60.

http://www.cowboom.com/product/755130
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Frothy

Many thanks for advice, but I got an email from Amazon a couple of days ago and they replaced it with a new K3 3g model which was REALLY REALLY good of them. I prefer the ergonomic design of K3 kindle compared to the K5, although I do like the 'every 6th page turn refresh' feature on the kindle 5.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Cowboom sells pre-owned WiFi Kindle Keyboard ereaders for $60.
I clicked on your link's "Choose Best Available" button, and here's what I read next:

Quote:
Notes:
Dead pixel lines going down left side of screen
Sounds like an optimistic description of a cracked screen.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I clicked on your link's "Choose Best Available" button, and here's what I read next:
Sounds like an optimistic description of a cracked screen.
It looks like all the "good" ones have been sold.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Treo 650
The Chinese replacement is actually working okay, I saw some reviews on Taobao.com (a Chinese sort of eBay). But you probably need to find a Chinese friend to order one from Taobao for you.
pazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
Hi,

EDIT: I should have said the original was a replaced about 12 mths ago and I do read a lot about 6 hrs a day.

Seasons Greetings
Aliexpress.com about $40 to your door in the UK. No qualms on quality. Its the same part as the original.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Aliexpress.com about $40 to your door in the UK. No qualms on quality. Its the same part as the original.
I just finished installing a replacement screen from Ailiexpress.com. Very nice screen. Brighter than those of my other Kindles, although this is perhaps just chance. It does take nearly 3 weeks to get via China Post, however.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yeah. you can shove a fiver on the cost and go for package post I have heard.

I also noted some other suppliers earlier today for K5 screens including ebay.

Just so the future reader know there are "options"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote