Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
mjb11800
mjb11800 began at the beginning.

Device: non
Picture book woes

! Hi there,
I'm having a hell of a time converting something relatively simple: It's basically just a series of pictures in Jpeg format (a childrens book).. I converted the images into a 16 page .pdf and then ran it through Calibre. The problem is, after the conversion, the pages are all over the place (split into 2, half above, half below).. all I want it each jpeg to be displayed correctly (one per page).
Anyone have any advice? (perhaps the pdf conversion isnt the best idea?)
HUGE thanks in advance!
mjb11800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb11800 View Post
! Hi there,
I'm having a hell of a time converting something relatively simple: It's basically just a series of pictures in Jpeg format (a childrens book).. I converted the images into a 16 page .pdf and then ran it through Calibre. The problem is, after the conversion, the pages are all over the place (split into 2, half above, half below).. all I want it each jpeg to be displayed correctly (one per page).
Anyone have any advice? (perhaps the pdf conversion isnt the best idea?)
HUGE thanks in advance!
You got it in 1.
Place your Jpegs on HTML pages and feed the HTML to Calibre
Or
Use Sigil for simple (without resorting to code view) WYSWYG EPUB.
(BTW Word can make some pretty messy/bloated bunch of EPUB code)

You might also take time to review the limitations of some of the alternate devices and formats for limitations before you start (to save spending effort, only to see it ignored by some formats).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
zip up all your images, rename the zip file to have a .cbz extension and convert it. calibre will treat it as a comic.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
mjb11800

Hi!
Thanks for the advice - Just downloaded Sigil, will have to have a look this evening.

kovidgoyal, I just tried your method and I had an error saying "ValueError: Could not find an ebook inside the archive"
Just to clarify this technique, zip up the file, right click, rename, change to .cbz open in Calibre, and convert?
Am I missing something?
This is the full error message:

calibre, version 0.8.42
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (alli pics.cbz)

Convert book 1 of 1 (alli pics.cbz)
Processing archive...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Could not find an ebook inside the archive (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 191, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 22, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 640, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 722, in unarchive
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 733, in find_html_index
ValueError: Could not find an ebook inside the archive

Many thanks again folks, really, really appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to enable file extensions in windows explorer to be able to rename to .cbz
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
mjb11800

Hi there,
Yes, I've had much more success with that technique, thank-you
Just one question, is there a way of keeping the original size of the pictures through the options? I've tried several times now and they always get compressed down fairly small.
Huge thanks again!
M
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Change the output profile to "Tablet" in calibre.