Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Kindle 3 gripes

I know, I know, it is way to early to start a gripe thread. Everybody is soo happy with their new toy (me included) but what fun is it being an old nag if you don't get to bitch on a regular basis.

So my gripes are, not in any particular order.

1.) International delivery of Amazon E-books over WiFi don't really need a 3G surcharge now, do they Jeff??

2.) The Next Page button on the left should be one or at least a half inch lower. When holding the Kindle in a cover that opens like a book, a lower position would make page turns a hell of a lot easier. Whoever designed that part of the Kindle is relegated to using only Franklin for a year.

3) The Next/Back Page buttons should move inwards (towards center) as well as downwards. Holding it naked in one hand would enable a more comfortable way to change pages.

If I let it brew for a while, I'm sure I can come up with more.
Bitch out!
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
2.) The Next Page button on the left should be one or at least a half inch lower. When holding the Kindle in a cover that opens like a book, a lower position would make page turns a hell of a lot easier. Whoever designed that part of the Kindle is relegated to using only Franklin for a year.

3) The Next/Back Page buttons should move inwards (towards center) as well as downwards. Holding it naked in one hand would enable a more comfortable way to change pages.
Nope. They are fine for me where they are. But what I would have liked to see is back/next page buttons the same size and a way to swap the function of each and even turn off the ones I don't use. A pretty trivial thing to code I would have thought.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think it's a perfectly fine time to bring up these things. It does nothing to impact my enjoyment of my new K3. It's not like I think it's perfect in every way, either. Constructive criticism can only help.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Actually i find the 'next' page button too low.

I hold it with my fingers at its centre of mass, which is the middle of the back of the kindle. This places my thumb right above the 'back' button instead of 'next'.

Also since the thumb acts as the other part of my 'pincer' grip on the kindle, the fact that the buttons are on the edge of the bezel means that i won't be accidentally pressing them whilst holding my kindle tight. Yet it isn't too far away for my thumb to slide off the bezel and depress the buttons.

So yes, each to their own
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
nancywhite
nancywhite began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle3
I find it's very difficult to read PDFs. You cannot do the right zoom. The letters are just too small to read at fit to screen setting.
nancywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I find it's very difficult to read PDFs. You cannot do the right zoom. The letters are just too small to read at fit to screen setting.
If they are non DRM text PDF's try converting them in Calibre to MOBI format, I did that and they seem okay, but not had much chance to read yet, but i looked at one and the reflow looked fine
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
My only gripe so far is the stupid screensaver. Why it can't just leave the last page up....

Oh well, waiting for the jailbreak I guess.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
My only gripe so far is the stupid screensaver. Why it can't just leave the last page up....
Simply so you know that it's gone to sleep. Most readers blank the screen in the same circumstances; I suppose that the "screensavers" are marginally more interesting than a blank screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post

Oh well, waiting for the jailbreak I guess.
Gawd help us - if that is your biggest moan then I can't wait to get mine
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No gripes here !

For the Kindle LG WiFi 3 I have zero gripes. Its GREAT.

It makes my old Sony PRS 900 seem like a stone age artifact (its only EIGHT months old). Plus, I bought the K3 for LESS THAN HALF of what I paid for the Sony.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Gawd help us - if that is your biggest moan then I can't wait to get mine
You're right, I should have put the context around it that I love everything else about my new kindle wifi, it just rocks.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Im loving it, though I have had one freeze so far, while showing my daughter the text to speak it just stopped and froze, a reboot sorted it. Seems to be a widespread issue though. Im not overly worried as Im used to my Sonys and my 505 rebooted often usually taking my bookmarks and collections with it LOL
I hope they may do an update to resolve the freezing issues, but so far it is just once and it is new and just loaded, though it had indexed fully and only has 30 books on it, will see how it goes.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Freezes handled better as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
Im loving it, though I have had one freeze so far, while showing my daughter the text to speak it just stopped and froze, a reboot sorted it. Seems to be a widespread issue though. Im not overly worried as Im used to my Sonys and my 505 rebooted often usually taking my bookmarks and collections with it LOL
I hope they may do an update to resolve the freezing issues, but so far it is just once and it is new and just loaded, though it had indexed fully and only has 30 books on it, will see how it goes.
If the K3 freezes, just wait a few seconds and it reboots by itself. With the Sony PRS 900 most times a freeze happened and there was no way to re-enter that book. As I remember, one had to enter a different book and then start in the frozen book from page one. That was very common if both PDF's and ePubs were on the same unit.

Kindle LG WiFi 3 solves its own problems very nicely. I find those freezes in the K3 rare anyway and only occurs if one is testing the limits of its capabilities.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
So far so very good

Hi All
Have only had my first ever dedicated eReader for 2 days
Wow - The screen is just fabulous
Havent played around much with the browser yet, but that will come eventually.
My biggest gripes are about organizing your books on the k3.
Collections are better than nothing, but why only 1 level ?
And HOW on earth do you tell the k3 to show a serie of books in the correct reading order ?
Did a lot of reading/searching here on MR without definitive solution/answer.
Maybe it can't be done.
Otherwise - after charging, fidling around, I just started reading, reading, only interrupted by too little sleep, having to go to work, to sponsor buying more books, showing off to the work mates, you know

Cheers

Last edited by pchrist7; 09-01-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling, spelling, non native language
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
mcgrath
mcgrath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I wish the left page turn buttons were lower as well. I typically hold books in my left hand and I liked the lower-left location of the back/forward button on the PRS-505. But this is a pretty minor gripe.

I have had a few crashes and sometimes when I click on the return arrow button to view a full entry in the dictionary the Kindle will freeze. Also, for some reason when I try to connect to the Kindle Store (or anything in the Kindle Store), I just get a blank screen. The WiFi still works because I can download samples sent from my PC, but I can't view the Kindle store on the actual Kindle itself.

Despite a few minor gripes I'm still very happy with the Kindle and I don't consider any of these problems deal-killers.
mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote