Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
NoxiousExtract
NoxiousExtract began at the beginning.

Device: None
best large-screen e-reader for attorney?

I'm an attorney looking for the best e-reader for my uses.

80% of what I would be reading would be scanned PDF's.
Case law, briefs, pleadings, etc.
I need to be able to take documents from the office for reading at home and at the gym (while on the bike, not the bench press!).

My documents utilize little to no graphs or charts, so I don't think I face the the same difficulties as some other users of "technical PDF's".

Right now I am contemplating (1) Sony's PRS-900 Daily Edition, (2) iRex's DR800SG, and (3) Amazon's Kindle DX.

All three have pro's and con's.
For instance, the DR800SG and Kindle DX do not have a zoom function, while (I think) the PRS-900 does.
On the other hand, I've read some negative reviews regarding glare on the screen of the PRS-900.

While the Kindle DX seems solid, the lack of note-taking or highlighting is a definite negative, though not necessarily a deal-breaker.

Several of the newly announced e-readers (Que, especially) are intriguing, but I need a device now, and the price of the Que is off-putting.

Lastly, I'd prefer to keep conversion and re-formatting to a minimum. Ability to adeptly handle raw scanned PDF's is ideal.

Any thoughts?
NoxiousExtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
There are no ereaders that handle PDFs in the manner you seek. The 900 won't work because of screen size and the zoom needs to be reset with each page turn. The IREX doesn't have zoom, note taking or annotation (as of today). The Kindle doesn't have zoom and the note taking and annotation are cumbersome.

The Entourage eDGe is the best device out now for PDFs including annotation and note taking. It doesn't sound like the form factor will work for you. You may have to splurge on the QUE or keep waiting like many of us here. The Skiff is due for release this year. Perhaps it will be priced less than the QUE since the iPad is on the scene now.

Last edited by SCION; 03-04-2010 at 03:43 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There are no ereaders that handle PDFs in the manner you seek. The 900 won't work because of screen size and the zoom needs to be reset with each page turn. The IREX doesn't have zoom, note taking or annotation (as of today). The Kindle doesn't have zoom and the note taking and annotation are cumbersome.

The Entourage eDGe is the best device out now for PDFs including annotation and note taking. It doesn't sound like the form factor will work for you. You may have to splurge on the QUE or keep waiting like many of us here. The Skiff is due for release this year. Perhaps it will be priced less than the QUE since the iPad is on the scene now.
The limitations apply for iRex 800 (for now?). But you still can go for iRex 1000S.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
NoxiousExtract

Is the iRex 1000s discontinued?

Temporary [sic] unavailable:

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=69
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The limitations apply for iRex 800 (for now?). But you still can go for iRex 1000S.
You're right. From various posts it seems antiquated that's why I didn't mention it. OP was also turned off by the price of the QUE.
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxiousExtract View Post
Is the iRex 1000s discontinued?

Temporary [sic] unavailable:

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=69
That is interesting.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
definitely the Entourage Edge

I am also an attorney and am very excited about getting my Entourage Edge next week. I think it will be a killer product for lawyers and other professionals.

I currently have a Kindle DX that I use for work purposes, but it's highly inadequate for anything besides passive reading. Note-taking is possible but very cumbersome.

The Edge has some overwhelming advantages over the Kindle and pretty much everything else out there (including the forthcoming iPad). For example:

- It allows handwritten annotations and note-taking directly on the PDF and saves to PDF. From reviews so far, this function works pretty well.

- It allows opening PDF and other email attachments, marking them up or signing them and emailing them out again.

- It allows editing of MS Office documents on the LCD side

- The dual screen permits a document open on one side and an active workspace (email, Word doc, browser) on the other side. This is ideal for reviewing documents and multitasking.

- Option for external keyboard gives ability to do serious typing/editing if necessary.

I know that the QUE reader is also trying to appeal to business professionals, but from what I have seen it is SLOW, which is a deal-breaker in itself, and is far more limited in what it can do than the Edge.

The Edge is effectively a laptop replacement for business trips and a handy tool to reduce the use of paper in the office.
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
NoxiousExtract

I could see the Edge being great on an airplane, and for use in depositions, mediations, client conferences, trial, etc.

I want something that I read on the exercise bike, in bed, at the beach, etc.
The Edge seems a bit too big and heavy for that.

I literally do not do the exercise bike without a book.
Currently working through a 700 page Evidence courtroom manual...
Exciting stuff!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
I used the Kindle DX for Law Pdf's and I have tried the sony 900 - the Irex 1000 and the the sony 505 and 600.

The sony with the touch screens - The glare is a showstopper for me

Sony 505 great screen obviously a little small for pdf's

Irex 1000 good screen kinda chunky - super expensive and personally the capactive buttons make me mental

Kindle DX pdf's render well, no TOC (but you can search ocr'd pdf's), but thin and light and excellent battery life - plus A+ customer service and support coupled with a killer sized library (Amazon was the only one to have all of the Kapan PMBR ebooks available)

Ipad might work although battery life I fear will be an issue

Entourage Edge - dont really kow but to my eye it seems too chunky - I might as well carry a table pc laptop (IMHO)

The Irex 800 - no comment - although i have been less than thrilled with customer service from Irex Tech

For me I like going with a proven entity that gets the job done and thats why I use the kindle DX primarily for pdf's

I have a Bookeen Opus 5" screen for pleasure readig as it slips into my pocket

Last edited by davidspitzer; 03-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I think if the Que was out right now and you could have it in your hand to try, it would be what you would buy. It's made with you in mind. Its not as slow as the videos make it seem- the firmware at CES still had some baggage to drop.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I think if the Que was out right now and you could have it in your hand to try, it would be what you would buy. It's made with you in mind. Its not as slow as the videos make it seem- the firmware at CES still had some baggage to drop.
the que does look interesting
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
IP Attorney
IP Attorney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I will go for an iPad though. But maybe it has something to do with your own preferences. Like me, I just need an e-book reader and a wi-fi which I could get from the iPad, so what else do I need then. Also an iPad has a memory for music which I love too!

IP attorney
IP Attorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The Kindle 3 will have bookmark/highlighting and annotating of PDF's, and it only stands to reason that this update will be made available for the Kindle Dx..
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote