Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Gubbi
Gubbi began at the beginning.

FBReader Newbie doubts.

Hi,

I have seen the screen shots and gone through their website. I am finding FBReader more interesting. I am trying to write a mini linux distribution which will have a minimal GUI and want to put FBReader in it.

FBReader site tells that it's not well developed for desktop. I want FBreader to run on 800x600, Frame buffer, GTKFB. Can I use other versions of FBreader other than the desktop one?

Also, I would be very interested to get familiar with the code and make useful changes. Can you give me further pointers into how I can go about understanding the code. some documentations?

I'm yet to install and try it.
Gubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think this would be cool. Good luck!

I've only used FBReader on the Nokia 770, so I can't speak to how well developed the Linux desktop version is -- in fact, after you install it, perhaps you'll report back to us. What I can tell you is that prior releases had no desktop version, so the kinks in it, whatever they may be, haven't had time to get themselves worked out.

The Nokia 770's screen is 800x480, and FBReader works very well in that space. But it's been adapted to the 770 specifically and that means it may not be the best place to start from. It does have a "full-screen mode," in which every portion of the interface is removed and you're left only with what's on the page. Maybe you can tell us if this is true of the desktop Linux version too and how well it works there.

Hopefully Mikhail will see this posting soon and respond to your questions. Let us know what you learn!
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Gubbi

Am having problems installing FBReader on my desktop. Am installing it for desktop+qtopia core 4.1. Is qtopia 4 supported?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not a question I can answer. How different are QT and qtopia?
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quicktime is the library, Roger, and qtopia is a linux pda environment based on de QT library.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Gubbi

"Qt/embedded" is renamed as "Qtopia Core" in Qt 4.0 onwards. And Qt3 programs are incompatible with Qt4. There are some tips on migrating Qt3 programs to Qt4. Am looking at them. Anywhere I can discuss problems with FBReader developers?

Also, what is the best way to get into understanding the code? Do we have to first know the specifications of all file formats it supports? Or, will it be easy if we skip format specific code and first understand overall functioning?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #7
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubbi
"Qt/embedded" is renamed as "Qtopia Core" in Qt 4.0 onwards. And Qt3 programs are incompatible with Qt4. There are some tips on migrating Qt3 programs to Qt4. Am looking at them. Anywhere I can discuss problems with FBReader developers?
I think you can discuss them here. I read the forum time to time and point out to the interesting topics to Nikolay.

Quote:
Also, what is the best way to get into understanding the code? Do we have to first know the specifications of all file formats it supports? Or, will it be easy if we skip format specific code and first understand overall functioning?
The format specific code is very well separated However if you have questions, just fire them. I'm not very well familiar with the code (as I did part of porting only and a good understanding of each part was not that necessary (plus Nikolay helped me a lot whenever it was necessary)), but I'll try to answer your questions.
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote