Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #451
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Looks like I'll be waiting for the new Kindle Fires unless those retailers offer a liberal return policy like BB. And I find it strange that retailer isn't carrying them from the get go. Maybe there isn't enough in production to stock that retailer initially.
What do you mean by BB's 'liberal return policy'? I know that after Christmas when we decided to return the Kindle Fire there was a $50 restocking fee. Are you saying the liberally apply whatever fee they wish to apply?

As for the other stores you can easily find out what their return policy is just call them. Right now GS is having a $25 gift card sale with any tablet purchase. This does not include the Nexus 7" since the nexus has it's own $25 sale.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #452
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
What do you mean by BB's 'liberal return policy'? I know that after Christmas when we decided to return the Kindle Fire there was a $50 restocking fee. Are you saying the liberally apply whatever fee they wish to apply?

As for the other stores you can easily find out what their return policy is just call them. Right now GS is having a $25 gift card sale with any tablet purchase. This does not include the Nexus 7" since the nexus has it's own $25 sale.

=X=
Best Buy is now 30 days and no restocking fee.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #453
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Which Christmas? Best Best eliminated their restocking fees in December 2010.
Unless your Fire was a special order item?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...stocking-fees/
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #454
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
This weekend my sister has visited. She has a Mac Air with 256GB solid state storage which is pretty neat, and an iPhone with the old Verizon unlimited data plan. Not the last iPhone but the one just before. She was kind of glued to the phone all weekend.

She kept getting in my face while taking pictures and I wondered why. I found out the iPhone didn't have an optical zoom, only a digital zoom, though it did have 8MP.
I am told that essentially is equivalent to a 8MP/9 (about 1MP) 3x optical zoom camera at a distance. (I am waiting for someone here to explain why that is true or not true. I am not sure.)

The camera seems to be fine for wide angle shots.
I don't know of any phone that has optical zoom, that alone is the only thing that will save the point and shoot cameras. And if anyone figures out how to fit an optical zoom lens in a uberskinny cell phone... well.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #455
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Which Christmas? Best Best eliminated their restocking fees in December 2010.
Christmas of 2011. Wasn't the KFire was released in 2011?

Quote:
Unless your Fire was a special order item?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...stocking-fees/
Maybe I don't know I don't know if it was a fee just for the KFire I just remember that we where told there would be a $50 restocking fee.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #456
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Digital zoom is a total waste of time
Digital zoom on a CAMERA is a total waste.
Digital zoom on a PHONE is a needed cropping convenience.
Pix from the phone are likely to be directly sent to another phone or even a website, and digital zoom is the quickest and easiest way to get the relevant part of the image dominant in the frame.

Until phones get optical zooms, anyway.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #457
ApK

Quote:
Christmas of 2011. Wasn't the KFire was released in 2011?

Maybe I don't know I don't know if it was a fee just for the KFire I just remember that we where told there would be a $50 restocking fee.

=X=
If it wasn't a special order item it sounds like someone at BB owes you $50.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #458
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Patent squabbles: Not just Apple...

Nokia complains that the Nexus infringes its (unidentified) patents:
http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-nexus...ents-03236832/
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #459
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Digital zoom on a CAMERA is a total waste.
Digital zoom on a PHONE is a needed cropping convenience.
Pix from the phone are likely to be directly sent to another phone or even a website, and digital zoom is the quickest and easiest way to get the relevant part of the image dominant in the frame.

Until phones get optical zooms, anyway.
How is blowing up a tiny part of the image up to 8Mpx better than sending the original 8Mpx image? You're not saving space; I can understand the benefits of a crop (you send only what you need, less bandwidth), but an interpolated image is no better. I would rather send the original and let the recipient manipulate the image as desired, the tools on a desktop will blow out of the water any phone manipulation tools you may have.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #460
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

=X=
Yes, their return policy (on a Christmas gift many years ago) is why I never shop there....and probably why they are next in line for bankruptcy.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #461
ApK

Quote:
I would rather send the original and let the recipient manipulate the image as desired
Would rather, but often can't.
An 8 MB pic is too big to send to many phones as a pic message, so you're likely shooting at a lower resolution and not interpolating much, and if you are uploading directly to a blog or photo sharing site, or what have you, as is more and more the case, it's ugly to send a huge picture with a dot in the middle and tell your visitors to zoom in on their own. Much better to have the big, but lower quality, primary subject filling more of the frame.

This is, as I say, thinking of the device as a phone that has a camera, and not as a camera. If you are treating as a camera (and shame on you for not having a purpose built camera with a good zoom lens) then I agree, don't use the digital zoom. Just capture the scene in native full res, and then even using the device's on-board photo editing app to crop would be better.
But that's not as handy, when your main goal is to quickly capture what you see and send it to your peeps.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #462
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Would rather, but often can't.
An 8 MB pic is too big to send to many phones as a pic message, so you're likely shooting at a lower resolution and not interpolating much, and if you are uploading directly to a blog or photo sharing site, or what have you, as is more and more the case, it's ugly to send a huge picture with a dot in the middle and tell your visitors to zoom in on their own. Much better to have the big, but lower quality, primary subject filling more of the frame.

This is, as I say, thinking of the device as a phone that has a camera, and not as a camera. If you are treating as a camera (and shame on you for not having a purpose built camera with a good zoom lens) then I agree, don't use the digital zoom. Just capture the scene in native full res, and then even using the device's on-board photo editing app to crop would be better.
But that's not as handy, when your main goal is to quickly capture what you see and send it to your peeps.
8Mpx != 8MB, JPEG compresses very well, so the typical file will be well below 8MB, more like 2MB (incidentally, 8Mpx without compression requires 24MBytes, 3 bytes per pixel assuming your image is 24bits color).

I have a SLR plus compact for my travels, so my camera phone is pretty much irrelevant, but we're digressing. Anyway, I personally don't use digital zoom on any camera, the ones that have it have the feature disabled as I prefer to crop later on the desktop if I need to.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #463
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Office Depot will be carrying the 16GB version in stores also.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #464
ApK

Quote:
8Mpx != 8MB
Eh, that's what I get for not quoting the whole message and relying on memory.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #465
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Office Depot will be carrying the 16GB version in stores also.
Is there a list somewhere of shops that will sell Nexus 7? I am going to Chicago for Worldcon in the end of August and plan to buy a Nexus 7 then and wondered what shops would be best to go to?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet