Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Popularity of electronic books

This is a summary of the article that I have read for forum members, this article from a newspaper the standard, the article confims what others have posted in this section about the popularity of electronic books:

Electronic books have more than doubbled in popularity during 2011 outselling hardcover adult fiction books. Electronic book sales jumped 15% in 2011 from 6% in 2010 to 21% according to the Association of American Publishers and the Book Industry Study. Overall the slaes of books in the US declined 2.5% to $27.2 billion. Still the majority of publishers revenues came from print books (my own comments here) sales of electronic books should comprise a simple majority by mid 2013.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have noticed that last few months, that on the DC Metro subway, at any given time, there are more people reading electronically than pbook form.

Still a lot of pnewspapers, but part of that is the two freebies that are available in the area and at most Metro stations.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I have noticed that last few months, that on the DC Metro subway, at any given time, there are more people reading electronically than pbook form.

Still a lot of pnewspapers, but part of that is the two freebies that are available in the area and at most Metro stations.
Man, nothing will beat freebies. Nothing.

I would probably carry and use as a camera a free iPad.

There is something about free. Sorta like cookies!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Man, nothing will beat freebies. Nothing.

I would probably carry and use as a camera a free iPad.

There is something about free. Sorta like cookies!
Free stuff tastes better.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Free stuff tastes better.
I totally just heard that in my head in Jake's voice
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I personally know three people who have made the jump to eBook format just over the past 2 months. One of those three I would never have thought to make a move like that but he seemed to have jumped in with both feet.

I attribute his move to the fact that a lot of authors are putting books (that interest him) out electronically that you would not be able to get in any physical printed form. He is just moving in the direction he needs to go to get his next read.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Man, nothing will beat freebies. Nothing (snip) There is something about free. Sorta like cookies!
Sometimes free is better. Public domain books are great, because a lot of them have survived the trials of time. I have also enjoyed those free newspapers, because they tend to focus upon news instead of editorial. Even free cookies offer a sugar rush, something that you can't get from costly carrots!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I love the free PD books.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I love the free PD books.
Not sure if I can promote my hobby here -- releasing PD books specially designed for use on phones or tablets. If interested, please use the link in my Signature.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For a moment ... I seriously wan't sure what you meant by "electronic books." My first thought was books about electronics.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes it's undeniable that e-books are on the rise, while prints are on the low.
I just hope print books won't disappear altogether, they've been around for so long that I would kind of miss them.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yes it's undeniable that e-books are on the rise, while prints are on the low.
I just hope print books won't disappear altogether, they've been around for so long that I would kind of miss them.
I think paper will be around for a while. While e-book readers have gotten better over the last several years in terms of screens, input methods, and (most clearly) cost, they still work best for reading mass market fiction...and the farther you move away from fiction, the less satisfactory of a replacement they make.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
When I first got my e-reader I thought wow, e-books are IT, but whenever I revisit my printed books, I find I like them better. They seem more .... book like to me. I do love my e-reader when I am on the go, but here at home, I find myself reading about half e-books and half my printed books.

plus I am still high from getting 8 books for a dollar at the library discard sale.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't understand, what do you mean ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
...and the farther you move away from fiction, the less satisfactory of a replacement they make.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i went to b&n the other day and got some books. then i came home and ordered even more. i still love buying paperbacks more than anything; ebooks are cool but they'll never give me the same thrill.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote