Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #31
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Here are a three different things you might want to try one at a time to see if they have any affect.
  1. Under Preferences - Sending books to device - change metadata management to Manual Management.
  2. Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Kobo plugin and see if unchecking Read metadata from files on device makes a difference.
  3. Disable the Kobo device interface plugin and use the Connect to Folder feature to transfer your files to the Kobo.
Good Luck.

Walt the first setting was set allready.. i think i had done that before based on other comments. the second setting i just did... the third setting i dont know were to find it? Sctatch that I found that setting ... but before I do any of this... if i disable the kobo device plugin will calibre still try to connect to my reader and dump its files on the unit?

Last edited by jackastor; 07-22-2011 at 10:51 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Wlt the first setting was set allready.. i think i had done that before based on other comments. the second setting i just did... the third setting i dont know were to find it?
These were just 3 separate, independent, things to try. Item 3 is using a different method to transfer books. Connect to folder is under the Connect Share icon, but can only be used if the device interface plugin is disabled so calibre doesn't automatically connect to the device and use the built in plugin to transfer the books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Walt the first setting was set allready.. i think i had done that before based on other comments. the second setting i just did... the third setting i dont know were to find it? Sctatch that I found that setting ... but before I do any of this... if i disable the kobo device plugin will calibre still try to connect to my reader and dump its files on the unit?
#3 disabled means you have to use "Save to disk" (and lose any features that Send to Device provides.

Note: No Kobo at my place
Take this advice with salt
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
#3 disabled means you have to use "Save to disk" (and lose any features that Send to Device provides.
Since he was talking about moving away from calibre for managing his books on his device I was giving him something else to try. Save to disk is one option, but you don't have to use Save to disk. I suggested using the Connect to Folder feature which treats any folder as a generic device. Retaining a lot of the features of Send to device without using the built-in plugin.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #35
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Note: No Kobo at my place
Take this advice with salt
ACtually thats not a loss.. as i fully think the issue is calibre... and its corrupting the data on the touch.. because the books that the covers were not showing are now showing... they were origianlly pushed by calibre to the sd disk on my touch... and when the device finished doing a factory reset the covers are now there... so based on that example i think calibre has some fine tuning to do for the touch yet to come.
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #36
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Since he was talking about moving away from calibre for managing his books on his device I was giving him something else to try. Save to disk is one option, but you don't have to use Save to disk. I suggested using the Connect to Folder feature which treats any folder as a generic device. Retaining a lot of the features of Send to device without using the built-in plugin.
Thats just the problem walt.. I really think the issue with my covers are all related to calibre and a fauty driver ... infact I am 100 percent certain.

Because with out calibre pushing the books all the books i drop onto the card that were at issue from calibre are now showing covers... Plus the touch is now running significantly faster. I will be fully testing your suggestions as I believe they have strong merrit.. plus it would be easier to use calibre that way.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #37
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
These were just 3 separate, independent, things to try. Item 3 is using a different method to transfer books. Connect to folder is under the Connect Share icon, but can only be used if the device interface plugin is disabled so calibre doesn't automatically connect to the device and use the built in plugin to transfer the books.
so that will require a restart once those settings are set.. the connect to folder option? and the kobo driver disabled.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
so that will require a restart once those settings are set.. the connect to folder option? and the kobo driver disabled.
Sounds correct.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #39
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds correct.
Really appreaceate your help.

So once the driver is disabled .. calibre will not do its usual cycle to the touch? and show all that ever was and will be loaded on it?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #40
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
So once the driver is disabled .. calibre will not do its usual cycle to the touch?
Once disabled you will have to use either the connect to folder or the save to disk features to transfer your books. The connect to folder may cause you the same difficulty, but if it doesn't cause you problems it will show you what is in the folder you connect to. When connected to a folder you transfer books via the send to device icon.

If this doesn't suit you you can use the save to disk feature to save books to a folder on your device. If you use save to disk you might want to uncheck Save cover separately and Save metadata in opf file under Preferences - Saving books to disk. If you don't uncheck these you will have two extra files sent to your device beside the actual ePub.

Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #41
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Once disabled you will have to use either the connect to folder or the save to disk features to transfer your books. The connect to folder may cause you the same difficulty, but if it doesn't cause you problems it will show you what is in the folder you connect to. When connected to a folder you transfer books via the send to device icon.

If this doesn't suit you you can use the save to disk feature to save books to a folder on your device. If you use save to disk you might want to uncheck Save cover separately and Save metadata in opf file under Preferences - Saving books to disk. If you don't uncheck these you will have two extra files sent to your device beside the actual ePub.

Good Luck.
Yeah actually 3 because now it will send also original epub as well
Old 07-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #42
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Image sizes for Kobo ePub covers

Jack,

I'm not sure at this point that you still want your original question answered since it likely does not have anything to do with covers displaying or not displaying on the Kobo but here is something I have found out.
The Kobo generates 4 image files that it uses itself.
The sizes are(in pixels):
FULL 355x530
GRID 149x223
LIST 60x90
SOCIAL 120x96
The names to the left are part of the original filenames.
I am assuming that FULL is the image used when sleeping or off.
Grid is the size used for the most recent book being read and probably the cover only view.
List is the size used for the thumbnail and titles view.
Social is probably used for the Reading stats stuff.

I have made a few 355x530 covers and they look nice and sharp on the sleep screen. However, it is also true that at some point you will end up with a reader that has higher resolution. If you were to create 600x800 pixel covers they should look fine on the current KOBO and will also look good on any reader up to about 1200x1600 pixels which should cover things for some time in the future.

One last thing to take into account is that the larger the cover image dimensions, the larger the file. Some cover images could be larger than the ePub itself.

Hope this helps.

Larry J.
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote