Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
ktwo
ktwo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
32 bit VM on 64 bit OS?

I've found one reference so far to anyone suggesting running Calibre in a 32 bit VM on a 64 bit OS, but no actual reports of anyone trying it.

So, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Beta) with Windows XP 32 bit running in a Sun xVM VirtualBox.

Calibre installs, but it get the following unhandled exception error:

[Error 13]The data is invalid

Detailed traceback:

Traceback {most recent call last}:
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 29 in run
File "calibre\devices\scanner.pyo", line 40, in scan
WindowsError: [Error 13] The data is invalid

I installed the USB driver during install. I searched the forums to see if maybe these errors were directly related to not having the proper USB driver, but found they tend to be more general in nature.

I suspect they may be associated with no USB driver as I would imagine that the hardware abstraction offered by VirtualBox may not be sufficient to allow the 32 bit USB driver to load.

Thoughts?
-K2
ktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have gotten calibre to detect the 500 in a vmware virtual machine, dunno about virtualbox
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Virtual Box doesn't support USB unless you get the paid for version.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
ktwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have gotten calibre to detect the 500 in a vmware virtual machine, dunno about virtualbox
Was that a VM container on a 64 bit OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yeah, I just figured that out. I was trying to manually force an update of the USB driver when I realized I couldn't see ANY of my USB ports.

But looking at Sun's VirtualBox web site under the features tab says it supports advanced USB devices. Plus, the only two options that can be purchased are an Enterprise license and an OEM license. It looks like it should support USB. I'll have to investigate.

-K2
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
ktwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Update - figured it out. I've got the closed source version. And I can now see my USB ports in the VM'd XP OS.

But no recognition of the PRS-500. I have both the Sony and Calibre software installed. Might have to uninstall both and start fresh . . . tomorrow.

-K2
Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
ktwo

Progress?

It seems I've had some progress. VirtualBox at least recognizes that the PRS-500 is plugged in . . .

Below is the output of the "VBoxManage list usbhost" on the host OS (Windows 7 (Beta)) . . .

VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.1.2
(C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Host USB Devices:

UUID: dbbffaf2-6b67-447a-aca7-2bfc8c5a4053
VendorId: 0x054c (054C)
ProductId: 0x029b (029B)
Revision: 1.0 (0100)
Manufacturer: Sony
Product: Sony Portable Reader System
Address: \\?\usb#vid_80ee&pid_cafe#6&ed52b26&0&2#{00873fdf-cafe-80ee-aa5e-00c04fb1720b}

So it would appear as if the guest OS (Windows XP) should be able to see the reader. But it's not. So more work . . .

Right now, the output of "prs500 info" and "prs500 df" give me the following error . . .

C:\Program Files\calibre>prs500 info
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 337, in <module>
File "main.py", line 208, in main
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 193, in __init__
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 344, in get_device_by_id
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 328, in busses
calibre.devices.libusb.Error: Could not find libusb.

C:\Program Files\calibre>prs500 info
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 337, in <module>
File "main.py", line 208, in main
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 193, in __init__
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 344, in get_device_by_id
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 328, in busses
calibre.devices.libusb.Error: Could not find libusb.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the errors?

-K2
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Install libusb (just google for it)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
ktwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Install libusb (just google for it)
Got it, installed it - Thanks.

Now I'm back to the "Unable to find a connected reader" response for the "prs500 info" and "prs500 df" commands.

Time for more troubleshooting.

-K2