Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
copy book to a different Kindle?

I have the Kindle 3 WIFI and my friend has the Kindle 3 WIFI 3G.

I have a (free) book in mine, and in the "Documents" folder I see all 3 files related to that book.

Can I copy those 3 files to flash drive and then from the flash drive to the friend's Kindle "Documents" folder?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Were they sideloaded originally?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if these eBooks have DRm and the two Kindles are not registered to the same abccount, the answer is no. The the eBooks are free of DRM, then the answer is yes. If the Kindles are registered to the same account then the answer is yes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The book was downloaded from Amazon but I have no idea whether or not it has DRM. NO, both Kindles are NOT registered to the same account. Sounds like I best NOT try it. Thanks!
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
The book was downloaded from Amazon but I have no idea whether or not it has DRM. NO, both Kindles are NOT registered to the same account. Sounds like I best NOT try it. Thanks!
It probably has DRM, but might not.

Also, the fact that it was free does not in any way mean that you have the right to redistribute it. It may still be copyrighted and distribution rights may be reserved.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You can try it. Nothing is going to break. If the file is DRMd, it just won't open on the other Kindle. The book may be lendable, in which case you can lend it to your friend, even if it has DRM. Check the book's details on your Kindle, or on your Amazon.com Manage Your Kindle page.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
Can I copy those 3 files to flash drive and then from the flash drive to the friend's Kindle "Documents" folder?
Probably not, because unless the book is in the public domain this would be a breach of copyright.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if these eBooks have DRm and the two Kindles are not registered to the same abccount, the answer is no. The the eBooks are free of DRM, then the answer is yes. If the Kindles are registered to the same account then the answer is yes.
That's incorrect, Jon. Kindle DRM is device-specific. Even if both Kindles are registered to the same account, you still can't copy a book from one Kindle to another; you have to download it from Amazon to each device separately.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
And of course if both Kindles are registered to the same account, you don't need to copy it from one to the other. It's generally easier just to re-download from the device itself.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
And of course if both Kindles are registered to the same account, you don't need to copy it from one to the other. It's generally easier just to re-download from the device itself.

Mike
Very true, Mike.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you have bought the book you can loan it to another Kindle user I believe. You can look it up on your "manage your Kindle" and then click on the link to go to the page where the book is or go directly there if you remember the title. Then click on "loan book" at the top of the screen. Not sure of all the steps after that as I haven't ever loaned one but I believe they have the book as a loan to their account for 2 weeks.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can only loan a book if the publisher specifically permits it. The facility is only available in the US.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can only loan a book if the publisher specifically permits it. The facility is only available in the US.
Touche Harry T. I didn't realize it was only available in the U.S. and hadn't realized that not all books might be loanable just like not all have text to voice capability.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Maybe I am missing something, but if the book is still free, your friend can simply download it. If it is no longer free, removing the DRM from the book you loaded. and then loading it to your friends device would be illegal, so we can not tell you how to do it (but google might)
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote